• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

5 Nights in DC in June

awbrig

Definitely try Jaleo.  My kids loved it.  Have the bartender make them lemonades, as they were particularly good.

Emma liked it too, so that's three kiddie recs for Jaleo. And the Hotel Washington is a great idea, Vengroff.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Thanks for the offer!  However, we are just going out one night without the little guys and Ive decided, with the help of you DCers, to dine at Maestro.

If anyone wants to join us please let me know so I can make the appropriate reservation.

When are you going to be here? If we're in town and can get a sitter we might be interested.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Zeb--do you mean Laboratorio or Galileo when you're making your comparison?

I mean Galileo. I have not been to Laboratorio.

Maybe its just me, but when I drop a load of cash in a restaurant, my expectations are quite high, and Galileo has disappointed me from that perspective. In contrast, I have always left Obelisk feeling very good about my meal on all levels.

It's not that I have an aversion to expensive meals, but, when I have one, it probably does make me more critical.

Our flights are arranged and purchased. Fly out of Chicago on June 25th and go back on the 29th...Staying at 1800 N. Oak Street Arlington VA...

So how far is Maestro, Galileo, Kinkeads and Citronelle from here? Now that we have 6 people Im seriously considering the Kitchen table at Citronelle...instead of Maestro for Adults night out...

Definately Jaleo and Hotel Washington for lunch...

Edited by awbrig (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I am a NJ e-gulleter coming to DC in mid-June with friends for a long weekend. We've made reservations at Kincaid's - any comments on this restaurant and/or suggestions for other places we should not miss while in DC.

Have read about Nectar & would like to try that for breakfast or lunch.

Thanks!

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

My comment would be there are better restaurant experiences and more interesting things going on in the city than Kinkeads, at that price point and below. There are a few Kinkeads threads here that you can catch up on to see if it seems a good fit for you and your group.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Hi.  I am a NJ e-gulleter coming to DC in mid-June with friends for a long weekend.  We've made reservations at Kincaid's - any comments on this restaurant and/or suggestions for other places we should not miss while in DC.

Have read about Nectar & would like to try that for breakfast or lunch.

Here's what you do: Sit at the bar at Kinkeads, order the fried clams and lobster rolls. They have good wine by the glass. Hilton, the pianist is good, too. Then, walk across the street to Kaz Sushi Bistro.

As far as Nectar goes: lunch or dinner, not breakfast.

Mark

What would you suggest for a really great dinner in DC?

There is surprisingly uniform opinion about this, both from critics and diners. The top three tables, in no particular order other than alphabetical, are

Citronelle

Laboratorio Galileo

Maestro

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

What will be considered "great" will always depend on your frame of reference. How modern vs. how conservative are your culinary tastes on the high end? Also, if you're the type to appreciate elite French cooking (or elite Spanish cooking) just a little more than elite Italian cooking, as I "think" I am, in that case you might want to consider adding Cafe 15 in the Sofitel and Le Relais in Great Falls to this list. And if you care about desserts the best pastry chef of this bunch, and perhaps the best pastry chef in the city, is young Romain Renard of Cafe 15 and he works in a classically respectful French style.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

I agree with Steve about Cafe 15. I've had some very impressive meals there. The restaurant is fairly small and quite attractive. Have drinks in the chic bar before dinner. The consulting chef is Antoine Westermann from Restaurant Buerehiesel, a 3 star in Alsace. The menu changes fairly frequently, so I can't really recommend any particular dish. BTW, congnoscenti refer to the restaurant as "Café Quinze".

Mark

We will be having lunch at Jaleo and Hotel Washington (or any other great ideas) if anyone is interested in meeting up with us.  Our dinners are booked...

Jaleo is fun for lunch. Order a bottle of sherry, not wine, to go with it. Hotel Washington is ONLY good for cocktails. They even manage to screw them up. Don't even think of eating there. The view is killer. Have lunch at Charlie Palmer Steak, Bis, or the Prime Rib. At the Rib, ask for the lobster salad. Make sure to wear a jacket, also. (Yes, even at lunch!)

Mark