• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NJ eGullet Dinner at China 46

Double 0

I was going to mention that dish where we first experienced the sechuan peppercorns. It came in a clay pot rather than a platter, with beef or pork. Maybe it's the one with ginger you're mentioning. :wacko:

The noodle you are thinking of is rice cake.

My crew is going to be 4: me, Ellen, my mother, and my mother's "friend" Nick.

I'm in favor of total pre-ordering, pre-set price, and total lack of democracy in that decision -- the Perlows should just do it, with advice from their henchman tommy. Get a ridiculous amount of food so everybody gets some of everything.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I was going to mention that dish where we first experienced the sechuan peppercorns. It came in a clay pot rather than a platter, with beef or pork. Maybe it's the one with ginger you're mentioning.

Yes. It is. And its the best dish of that type I've had there by far. Hopefully C46 is still getting the contraband Peppercorns. Er, flower buds. Whatever they are.

Rosie: The rice cake (why did I have a mental block with that) fills that niche really nicely. Trust me. Just tell the child its round noodles. :biggrin:

Edited by jhlurie (log)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

curent list:

Mark

Glenn

Rosie

Lowell

Kim

Tommy

Soba

Brodsky

Double O

Rachel Perlow

Jason Perlow

Bond Girl

jluhrie

Steven Shaw

Ellen

Shaw's Mom

Nick

coquille (Eden)

*waiting for confirmation from 201.

18 people confirmed.

RECAP: updated attendees as above. Rachel will be pre-ordering as suggested. Everyone bring cash, and bring some singles and fives to expedite the payment. Bring what you want to drink, and some to share. 6pm sharp.

Where is this place anyway? Can we get some maps and such?

from rachel's post a few days ago:

Yeah, mapquest doesn't seem to know where China 46 is located. Officially, their address is 88 Rt 46 West, Ridgefield, NJ. It is just west of the Grand Avenue exit on 46.

Directions

From the south: Take the NJ Tpke towards the GWB, after exit 18W, bare right at the 46 E/W division and get onto 46 East. You will see a movie theatre sign and then China 46 on your left (the opposite side of the highway), make a U-turn at the Grand Avenue exit and stay to the right. The second driveway (very quick succession) is China 46. It is in front of a Days Inn that is still being renovated.

If you are coming from NYC, take the GWB to 46 West. China 46 is immediately after the Grand Ave exit.

If you are coming from NYC, take the GWB to 46 West. China 46 is immediately after the Grand Ave exit.

The thing people always forgets to mention is that when coming from New York City, after passing Grand Ave., you have to AGGRESSIVELY stay to the right through several traffic merges, because China 46 will seem to pop up out of nowhere after the second of these, and if you haven't been carefully getting over to the right all along you will miss the entrance.

Also, look for a disgusting motel (soon to be a Days Inn--so there might even be a sign up by now) right before it.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Here's the menu folks, worked out by myself, tommy & jhlurie, price will be $45 inclusive:

Appetizers

Pork Soup Dumplings

Pan Fried Shanghai Buns

Spicy Capsicum Cellophane Noodles (cold dish)

Scallion Pancake Deluxe

OX Tongue & Tripe in Hot Sauce (cold dish)

Soup

Fresh Fish Head Casserole*

* You may order an individual soup if you don't want this, but there's going to be a lot of food,

so if you don't want to even try it then I'd just skip the course.

Mains

Ruby Pork with Sesame Buns

Salt & Pepper Soft Shell Crab

Shanghai Jumbo Shrimp (shell on)

Stir Fried Greens with Garlic

Sea Cucumber & Pork Tendon in Shrimp Roe Sauce

Aromatic Chicken stuffed with Sweet Sticky Rice

Beef with Vegetable in Roast Pepper Sauce

Fresh Bacon Sautéed in Spicy Sauce

Stir Fried Rice Cake w. Pork

Dessert

Pancake Stuffed with Sweet Bean Paste

Wine Flavored Sweet Rice Ball in Soup

Oranges

How long would you all estimate the drive from Princeton, NJ, to China 46?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

How long does it take you to get home in the city? Subtract 10-15 minutes (unless you take the tunnel and not the GWB).

According to Mapquest, Princeton to Ridgefield is 1 hour 6 minutes. Give yourself another 15 at least. Better to be early than miss the Soup Dumplings!

How long would you all estimate the drive from Princeton, NJ, to China 46?

RE: From Princeton: It takes me a full good speeding hour to get to Fort Lee, so I am going to plan on an hour fifteen for the ride...assuming there is some Bridge traffic, even though hopefully we beat the rush. (I'm talking either exit 8a or 9 here).

Here's the menu folks, worked out by myself, tommy & jhlurie, price will be $45 inclusive:

Salt & Pepper Soft Shell Crab

you are all such wonderful, caring people. I feel the love. :wub::smile::hmmm:

tommy & Steven: The solution is obvious. Ignore Rachel's ramblings completely, and each get your own ORDER of Soup Dumplings. The rest of the crowd can do with one each. :wink:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"