• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NJ eGullet Dinner at China 46

Double 0

Jan 25th is a Sunday. How does that sound?

What time on Sunday the 25th? I should say --- about what time?

I am coming back from a political thing in DC that morning, but I will hightail it back in time, if need be. I wouldn't miss it for anything!

depending on schedule(my boss's visitation schedule with his son - told him i would cover whenever he had visitation rights) johnnybird and i are in.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Is Jan 25 the Superbowl?

It might be, in which case that date is out.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I'm in. El Gordo, if you're coming to this shindig, I'd like a ride in the Momo-mobile. :biggrin:

I'll also beg a ride, for me and HWOE. Soba can sit on my lap, if need be. :laugh:

And if we can't get a ride, can someone please let us know how to get there via NJT or some such?

OK, Jan 25 it is. For those coming so far: which time is preferred? 4pm, 5pm, 6pm, 7pm.

I'll post an RSVP list once we settle on a time, and Jason will work with the owners to select the menu. But no one will come if you don't get the soup dumplings, I think. :laugh:

Edited by Kim WB (log)

My wife and I just returned from dinning at China 46 tonight. We had passed there many a time before, but never thought much of Chinese food in NJ, most of which is Chinese Take Out. We always preferred the coffee houses and restaurants off of Mott St. in NYC, like Hop Shing's or one of the several subterranean dinning establishments. I really enjoy going to restaurants that don't serve the typical General Tso Chicken, or shrimp with lobster sauce, while these are foods good enough to eat, they have been over "Americanized" Eating Chinese is more than calling for Take Out . The staff was charming and attentive to our every need (once we discovered how worthless a radio shack pocket translator really is)

We began our meal with a piping hot bowl of Shanghi Wonton soup. I don't know who this Shanghi guy is but he makes very delicate yet flavorful wonton soup :biggrin: However, we could have done without the garnish of tough spinach leaves.

We decided to try a little of "NJ DIMSUM". First we ordered juicy pork dumpling with crab, they were delicious. They came out in a bamboo steamer and looked like little flowers with the garnish of crab roe. Next time however, I will pass on the shrimp balls. Next we had pan seared pork buns...WOW! The dough appeared to have been semi steamed then place in a very hot skillet to brown the bottoms and make them crunchy.

We then ordered dinner, my wife loves mie fun and the menu said "ANY KIND MEI FUN” She told them please no curry and no water chestnut anything else okay, you surprise me. I ordered the Crispy Duck with Plum sauce, the duck in fact was very crispy and served over a bed of lettuce to reduce the fat on the plate. My wife had much fun with her mei fun and I am just duckie with my crispy critter.

We ended our dinning experience with fresh orange wedges and fortune cookies. And this time the fortune told went very well with the ending "in bed" :laugh:

Would love to be apart of the new expedition in January, please keep me updated. Thank you.

Mr. and Mrs. Chefreit

I Will Be..................

"The Next Food Network Star!"

No can do here. That's Burns' Night. We'll be wearing kilts, swilling scotch and eating haggis at our house.

You are a peculiar #$^&@ing dude, Sam.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I'm SO in for this if one or more of my Philly cohorts would join me. Holly? Herbacidal? Rich?? Mummer??? Fentons???? Somebody pipe up 'cuz I hate long drives, especially all by myself. This place sounds way too good to be missed.

I can't remember (and I'm too lazy to look through the whole thread again) - is this restaurant BYOB? Heaven knows I have a reputation to preserve so I'll have to show up laden with wine and spirits... trink22.gif:laugh:

Please keep we Philly folks in mind when these things are planned. Especially on a weekend it's definitely a worthy day trip. And you know we eGulleteers and Dangerous Diners will drive far and wide for a great meal! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The last really good duck I had was in Beijing, a couple of years ago. I read thru the menu when I started on this thread and it looks soo good. I am definetly looking forward to sharing this fabulous food with all, y'all; so whomever is counting I am in plus two guests.

No can do here. That's Burns' Night. We'll be wearing kilts, swilling scotch and eating haggis at our house.

You are a peculiar #$^&@ing dude, Sam.

:laugh:

Scottish ancestry, dude. Comes with the territory. Any culture that invented golf and curling, not to mention that "let's see who can throw this telephone pole further" thing has to be a little peculiar. Luckily, in the case of the Scots, it's in a good way. :smile:

--