• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NJ eGullet Dinner at China 46

Double 0

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I was referring specifically to China 46. I've read accounts about other cities.

And the Chinese restaurants in Englewood that I've passed or gone into seem to be doing ok.

Could the downturn have something to do with the economy? Restaurant business in general is down.... :hmmm:

I was referring specifically to China 46. I've read accounts about other cities.

And the Chinese restaurants in Englewood that I've passed or gone into seem to be doing ok.

Could the downturn have something to do with the economy? Restaurant business in general is down.... :hmmm:

why are you trying to put a damper on such a good cause nackersl? :rolleyes:

why are you trying to put a damper on such a good cause nackersl? :rolleyes:

I'm not trying to put a damper on anything. I just asked for specifics as to why it's SARS that is going to cause this restaurant to close. People ask for news coverage, for a reported story but all that is being tossed about is hearsay and rumor.

Sorry I asked for anything tangible. :angry:

As FG mentioned, China 46 seemed to cater to a mostly Asian clientelle, and had been SRO on weekends year round for at least several years. It just seems a stretch to think they would go from a full house to 3/4ths empty at the same time as the SARS scare for any other reason. The economy is no worse off than a year ago.

At any rate it also seems a good reason to get back there for some Ruby Pork stuffed buns...

=Mark

As FG mentioned, China 46 seemed to cater to a mostly Asian clientelle, and had been SRO on weekends year round for at least several years.  It just seems a stretch to think they would go from a full house to 3/4ths empty at the same time as the SARS scare for any other reason.  The economy is no worse off than a year ago.

At any rate it also seems a good reason to get back there for some Ruby Pork stuffed buns...

I was never stopping anyone from going. I just asked a question.

Obviously there is not a definitive answer.

I was at non Asian restaurant recently that similarly had been slammed every weekend, and the past month they've been 1/2 to 3/4ths empty on the weekends. Why is that?

IF the economy is not affecting people why are there so many reservations to be had in some of NYC's top restaurants? or easy walkins for that matter?

I wish China 46 all the best and hope it turns around for them.

Edited by Nockerl (log)

Even if the economy IS in worse shape (and if it is its only a short-term downturn--its definitely in better shape than a year ago), China 46 is a CHEAP restaurant, relatively. Under that logic, more expensive places--and almost everything except "Chinese Kitchen" places would qualify--would be hurting worse than C46.

There are a lot of OTHER things which can cause a restaurant to lose business--a change in chefs, a bad review, a history of write-ups for health code violations. But all of those would have to be public knowledge. It would be truly strange if they were known to everybody EXCEPT eGullet members.

One contributing factor which has occured to me is location. C46's location has never been all that great. In the wake of stellar reviews people were willing to travel to get there. Inevitably that wears off. But it just doesn't seem to be ENOUGH. The place went from being completely full on weekends to having one or two tables filled at max the last few times I've been there.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I'm not trying to put a damper on anything. I just asked for specifics as to why it's SARS that is going to cause this restaurant to close. People ask for news coverage, for a reported story but all that is being tossed about is hearsay and rumor.

Sorry I asked for anything tangible. :angry:

sorry my friend. i was being inappropriately tongue-in-cheek. i'll try to think a little more before hitting "add reply". i'd reword it, but i've been quoted 3 times already! :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

Let's go with the 31st. Rosie hasn't responded to my email yet (to be fair she may be out in the real outback and incomunicado), but probably wouldn't have been able to make that whole weekend anyway (just getting back from Australia and all), so since many want a Saturday, let's just plan for that date.

Youse got any problem wit dat?

PS - my god, tommy's over 10000 posts. :wacko:

Ah, sorry, the Senate Ball is that night..perhaps I can come in my gown afterwards?? :laugh::sad::shock:

Perhaps I should bring the governor, that will get us some press!! I'll work on his Trooper bodygurads, see if we can hijack him! JOKE JOKE, in this day and age you don't want humor to be misconstrued as a threat!

Hunan Cottage looked OK (full, with a small line, lots of take out) when we were there three weeks ago, but I'll take a ride by tomorrow and scope out the parking lot.

Hunan Cottage on 46 in Fairfield was 3/4 full at 7 pm on Tuesday. That's about typical for the day and time.

May 31 at China 46 doesn't work for me, but we'll gather up some friends and make a special pilgrimage. Whatever the reason for the decline, this is a good restaurant

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I would like to attend the event-

a first time participant- :biggrin:

looking forward to meeting everyone

Welcome to the NJ board, JPR. What part of Jersey do you live in?

I would like to attend the event-

a first time participant- :biggrin:

looking forward to meeting everyone

Meanwhile you can horrify friends and family by mentioning you are going to a gathering of folks you met over the internet... :raz:

It doesn't have the same cachet that it did 10 years ago tho... :cool:

=Mark

May 31 at China 46 doesn't work for me, but we'll gather up some friends and make a special pilgrimage. Whatever the reason for the decline, this is a good restaurant

Well, since we live in the area, and we can make both the 31st and the June 8th, we can always do both dates.

Sorry, I guess we can't please everyone. :sad:

OK, everyone interested in going, sign up for one of the two dates. JUNE 8 or MAY 31. I'll keep track, whichever gets the most responses, that's the date. Does that seem fair?

KIM: 1 person. Available June 8.

*edited, to make corrections of date pointed out by Rachel below.

Edited by Kim WB (log)

I'll go with the majority, I have no plans until the winter. And I might drag my wife along, though it seems she always has plans, which maybe is what makes our marriage work (at times) :)).