• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NJ eGullet Dinner at China 46

Double 0

Edit by moderator: oops, the first post for this thread is by Rachel Perlow a few posts down, the merge put things in the wrong order. Sorry. Rachel

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm in and I'd like to see Mark there so the next week works also.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

The propsect of China 46 going under because of unwarranted SARS paranoia pisses me off so much that I'm publicly RSVPing for this event right now.

Put 201 down... any date, any time.

If we want Rosie there, we should make it Sunday, she always seems to have her Saturdays booked.

So, Sunday June 8th, 5:30 PM, at China 46. How does that sound to everyone? Should we start a new thread for RSVPs?

Dee and I are in for Sunday June 8, though we will be late.

For any NY interested parties - we'll be coming from the theater district, probably leaving there around 5 - 530, and would be able to drop folks back at the ferry, etc as needed

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

As discussed on another thread, we are having an emergency NJ eGullet Dinner on Sunday June 8th, to support and hopefully promote China 46.* After they were reviewed by the New York Times ("Very Good" by David Corcoran, 12/30/01) and the Bergen Record (3 1/2 diamonds by Rene A. Mack, 3/8/02), the restaurant became very popular, and we frequently had to wait for a weekend table. We expected the crowds to die down eventually, but the sudden and dramatic downturn in business over the past few months can only be attributed to the SARS publicity.

No menu planned yet, but figure about $40 per person for a great banquet. Everyone should BYOB what they want to drink and share. RSVP by June 1, please (yes, I know, redundant).

*We may have another one at Hunan Cottage (Fairfield) in the near future too, as they are also very good and possibly in need of support as well.

*We may have another one at Hunan Cottage (Fairfield) in the near future too, as they are also very good and possibly in need of support as well.

Hunan Cottage looked OK (full, with a small line, lots of take out) when we were there three weeks ago, but I'll take a ride by tomorrow and scope out the parking lot.

(Their big problem was people stealing the xenon headlights off acura an other higher end cars in their lot. Ten minutes work and you've got a $2,500 part for a chop shop. Houlihan's and Jose Tejas also got whacked repeatedly)

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Sorry =Mark, the following week is Father's Day and we'd like to do this as soon as possible. I figured June 1 is too short notice for people. Yes/No?

Might have to rethink this, my son's graduation is on the 6th out in Western Pa. Might arrange an earlier departure...

The first is no problem either....

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

(Their big problem was people stealing the xenon headlights off acura an other higher end cars in their lot. Ten minutes work and you've got a $2,500 part for a chop shop.  Houlihan's and Jose Tejas also got whacked repeatedly)

Another reason to buy American. I just replaced a headlamp and a couple bulbs on our old Caddy. Bill was $30.

I've emailed Rosie and asked her when she's getting home and if she can make either date. For the people who have already responded, is June 1 good for you too?

The 1st is no good for me. the Queen and Princess are going to Zootopia

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

I definately can't do Saturday the 7th. Any other Saturday is OK.

=Mark

Well, being as a single eGullet meal is unlikely to make much difference as to whether China 46 will weather this storm, and we seem to be having trouble pinning down a date, I suggest we have an eGullet dinner there every weekend until this SARS business is behind us. :cool:

=Mark

Well, being as a single eGullet meal is unlikely to make much difference as to whether China 46 will weather this storm, and we seem to be having trouble pinning down a date, I suggest we have an eGullet dinner there every weekend until this SARS business is behind us.  :cool:

Mark, it might make a difference if we get some kind of press coverage. "Food Group tries to save fave restaurant from the spectre of SARS" or something like that. :biggrin:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Well, being as a single eGullet meal is unlikely to make much difference as to whether China 46 will weather this storm, and we seem to be having trouble pinning down a date, I suggest we have an eGullet dinner there every weekend until this SARS business is behind us. :cool:

Mark, it might make a difference if we get some kind of press coverage. "Food Group tries to save fave restaurant from the spectre of SARS" or something like that. :biggrin:

But there is no proof that anyone is staying away because of SARS

But there is no proof that anyone is staying away because of SARS

It's empirical proof--from observation and deduction.

The restaurant was doing reasonably good business immediately before the SARS scare. And its not now. In this same period, reports of other Chinese restaurants doing badly--here and in other cities with SARS reports--are playing on the news. The economy is somewhat better than this time last year, so I don't see that as a possible explanation. There's a natural falloff from the peak levels that the restaurant got after being reviewed, and that's to be expected, but its a bit far-fetched to think that this would coincidentally catch-up with the restaurants business so dramatically at the exact same time as the SARS scare.

Unless I'm misreading you. Are you asking if people are staying away because the restaurant HAS a SARS case? They don't--we're talking about paranoia here. Its the fear of SARS keeping people away, not SARS itself.

Not that I would walk into the restaurant and talk with them about SARS. There's a natural fear to be expected from them that talking about it would only draw more attention to it and someone might hear and react to it out of context. But here, at least, we can discuss it in context.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"