• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipe Experimenting

pixelchef

Hi everyone,

I've been developing an appetizer recipe for about a week now, and I'd like your opinions on it (please).

It's a roasted pineapple/lime soup with crispy lardon, ramp confit, and a chilli oil drizzle (pea shoot garnish)

It works well with my palate, but I'm no professional. So, I'm wondering what you guys think. How could I improve it? Does it sound good to you?

Thanks a ton!

Not to my taste but it could be good. What is the actual foundation of the soup? Are there pieces of pineapple? Lime zest? Just the juices? I gather the soup surrounds the confit which is then topped with lardons? Or are they scattered in the soup?

I'm not sure of the textures. Whatever combinations I think of seem a bit complicated. I'd ditch the lardons.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Thanks for commenting, Jin.

Yea, I know from the sweet and meat thread that this wouldn't exactly appeal to your tastes, but thanks nonetheless for your very valuable suggestions (I admire your recipes very, very much).

The soup is composed of roasted pineapple that is pureed and strained with fresh lime juice. A brunoise of roasted pineapple is floating in the soup. This is ladled over top the confit, and sprinkled with the lardons. Topped with the pea shoots, cracked pepper, fleur de sel, and a few drops of chilli oil.

I was basing the whole idea around the "hawaiian" pizza flavours (which I know you probably don't enjoy) as a basis. :/

Edited by pixelchef (log)

Hmmmm.......

Not so sure about the lime - pineapple is naturally acidic (up to 5% citronic acid) and it seems to me that the acidity of the lime will complement rather than counterpoint. It would be interesting to rather add lime zest and cut the astringency of the pineapple with coconut milk.

Gerhard Groenewald

www.mesamis.co.za

Wilderness

It worked really, really well actually. Thanks for asking. I eliminated the leek confit from the recipe, as the coconut milk added the necessary richness. The lime zest was definitely a good substitute for the lime juice. It balanced it nicely. The lardons also worked much better, as they were able to sit pretty much atop the soup with it being thicker.

Thanks gsquared!

Still seems a bit complex. Do you really need the pea shoots? Wouldn't it be better to feature those, mildly exotic ingredient on their own in something where they are the star: maybe a tartlet of pea puree topped with pea shoots or something.

If you need a green garnish can you do something with the lime peel?

While the lardons were the best part of the soup, I couldn't see how the textures would work.

So I wanted you to ditch them where I could scarf them up and drop them on a salade frisse with a soft poached egg.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM