• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heineken and The Matrix

awbrig

If you havent seen this commercial its well worth a look if you are a Matrix or Heineken fan...Its a perfect tie in (for the the exact shade of green :smile: )...It made me go out and buy a 6 pack!

today_on_ifilm_heineken.jpg

http://www.heineken.com/usa/

or for less time-consuming download...

http://www.ifilm.com/?sctn=main&pg=movieclips&cch=10

BTW, for people that have seen the film, is Heineken placed in the movie at all?

Edited by awbrig (log)

I didn't notice any Heineken in the film, though I wasn't watching for it -- there could have been a Heineken truck or billboard on the freeway or whatever and I wouldn't have noticed consciously.

I also didn't notice any Powerade placement, and they have a huge Matrix-based ad running in theaters as part of the pre-show material.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I'm likely mistaken, but I could've sworn that there was a bottle of Heineken sitting on the table in the restaurant scene (where the initially venture to attempt to get the key maker back, and we're introduced to the "twins" for the first time).

Probably just the power of suggestion, though.

Awesome movie, by the way. Did you stick around past the credits to see the trailer for Matrix: Revolutions?

I liked the first film better, actually. The SFX were great though.

I find it interesting that the Wachowski brothers stuck with their plan in having the Merovingian (played by Lambert Wilson) be a stereotypical obnoxious, oversexed French bourgeousie restaurant owner and they didn't reshoot his monologue given current events. Given those segments were probably filmed AGES before the all the anti-French sentiment kicked in with all the problems at the UN, I doubt they could have predicted what was to follow.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I find it interesting that the Wachowski  brothers stuck with their plan in having the Merovingian (played by Lambert Wilson) be a stereotypical obnoxious, oversexed French bourgeousie restaurant owner and they didn't reshoot his monologue given current events. Given those segments were probably filmed AGES before the all the anti-French sentiment kicked in with all the problems at the UN, I doubt they could have predicted what was to follow.

Yes, along with this "Merovingian" being completely unncessary to the plot--in fact being a huge distraction to the proper flow of the film.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

The SFX were great though.

Jon Stewart reports that the special effects were so incredible, that it almost appeared as if Keanu Reeves could act. technology is amazing.

Ha Ha Ha

This movie is all about SFX. If that sort of thing gets you going, then don't miss it. I opted on missing it. Not that ER was much better -- Luka and Carter were in the Congo and it just wasn't the same as back in the ER and blah blah blah blah blah.

But back to The Matrix, I think I would have enjoyed the movie (the first one) a whole lot more had they chose someone relatively unknown to play Neo. In fact, it bugs the hell out of me that there are thousands of fine actors -- many of whom are better looking than Keanu -- who could have taken the film to a whole new level.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the special effects ranged from pretty sweet to downright horrid. (The claymation looking fightscene with all the agent copies...gahh!)

On a matrix and food related note though: what did everybody think of the "cake" scene? Hrmmmm.

So, does somebody who understands the Matrix like Neo or Morpheous get hungry in the Matrix? They can be killed by being hit by bullets, could they starve in the matrix?

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

I find it interesting that the Wachowski  brothers stuck with their plan in having the Merovingian (played by Lambert Wilson) be a stereotypical obnoxious, oversexed French bourgeousie restaurant owner and they didn't reshoot his monologue given current events. Given those segments were probably filmed AGES before the all the anti-French sentiment kicked in with all the problems at the UN, I doubt they could have predicted what was to follow.

Yes, along with this "Merovingian" being completely unncessary to the plot--in fact being a huge distraction to the proper flow of the film.

Great movie and a great scene...I thought his monologue was hilarious (and his wife hotter than hot :smile:) . What does "unnecessary" to the plot mean??? What's necessary and what's not :unsure: ? He is an important part of the Matrix and he DID have the Key maker..and he was funny "Like wiping your a$$ with silk" :laugh: . I hope we see more of him in the last installment.

On a food note: the cake scene was also amazing

And no I did not notice any Heinekens.. I'll watch for it the next time around.

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I just saw it yesterday, and I have to say I liked the first one better, though that may have more to do with the newness and surprise of seeing the visual look and special effects for the first time. There just seemed to be a too may gratuitous, non-plot-moving scenes in the sequal.

And I want that cake recipe.

though that may have more to do with the newness and surprise of seeing the visual look and special effects for the first time.

My sentiments exactly. I actually think the second one is the "better" movie but I enjoyed the first one better ...if that makes any sense, for the reasons stated above.

AND Nightscotsman, please post the recipe once you get it :raz:

FM

Edited by FoodMan (log)

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Other than the pressure to top themselves after the first film, and the lack of surprises other than those dealing with the prophesy, I had 2 problems:

First, the film was just too preachy. Elements of spirituality and philosophy that were hinted at in the first film were fastened to baseball bats and slammed into vewers foreheads this time around. Yeah yeah, Morpheous, we get it. Now shut up and get going!

The second thing which I've not been able to figure out is who the traitor guy was and where he came from. Did they have to make him look like Cypher from the first film? Do the bad guys always have to have bad goatees? :blink:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

But back to The Matrix, I think I would have enjoyed the movie (the first one) a whole lot more had they chose someone relatively unknown to play Neo.  In fact, it bugs the hell out of me that there are thousands of fine actors -- many of whom are better looking than Keanu -- who could have taken the film to a whole new level.

Oh come on. No one can slack his jaw and say "whoa" more believably than Keanu.

Dose anyone else think that the level of brand placement and other cobranding have gone a little over the top? Some shows and movies come off like infomercials. Remember the old days when people just drank beer and cola? Now it’s Coors Light and Pepsi. I guess ET changed things as M*A*S*H changed diolog.

Living hard will take its toll...

The second thing which I've not been able to figure out is who the traitor guy was and where he came from. Did they have to make him look like Cypher from the first film? Do the bad guys always have to have bad goatees? 

Ok This thread is definitly getting off topic , but I have to a try and answer this one. WRNING: SPOILER AHEAD--- =Mark the traitor is the "Agent Smith" who picked up the phone after he copied himself into the err..traitor guy (don't know his name, the one with the goatee). At least this was what I concluded along with the friend who I went to see it with.

Makes sense???

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

The second thing which I've not been able to figure out is who the traitor guy was and where he came from. Did they have to make him look like Cypher from the first film? Do the bad guys always have to have bad goatees? 

Ok This thread is definitly getting off topic , but I have to a try and answer this one. WRNING: SPOILER AHEAD--- =Mark the traitor is the "Agent Smith" who picked up the phone after he copied himself into the err..traitor guy (don't know his name, the one with the goatee). At least this was what I concluded along with the friend who I went to see it with.

Makes sense???

I thought that was one of Neo's dreams? I don't remember Cypher dying in the first one - maybe it was actually him? It's been quite a while since I saw the first movie.

Cypher (Joey "Pants") was killed in the first one when Tank recovered from Cypher shot and shot him back.

MORE SPOILER . . .

And NSM, yes, the first time I saw reloaded I too thought that was a dream, but it actually wasn't because bad goatee guy tries to assassinate Neo before he goes back but is foiled as "fan boy" abrubtly shows up. The next time we see bbg is at the very end which brings up some odd questions about Agent Smith and whether or not he's actually "disconnected."

First, the film was just too preachy.  Elements of spirituality and philosophy that were hinted at in the first film were fastened to baseball bats and slammed into vewers foreheads this time around.  Yeah yeah, Morpheous, we get it.  Now shut up and get going!

This is why I hated the first movie, and why I'm skipping the sequel. I like kung-fu movies, I like sci-fi, and I like action movies. But what I don't like is them wasting my time all that cheesy ridiculous pop-gnosticism.

One pill, two pill, red pill, blue pill, snore snore snore... If I wanted to watch a movie with a buncha pretentious talking, I'll rent "My Dinner with Andre," thank you very much.