• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sprouts! How do I love thee . . .

Ellen Shapiro

Lentil sprouts!!!

I would probably love wheat berry sprouts but I can't get them to sprout before they sour. YUK!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I likes me some sprouts. Particularly on sandwiches based on wheat bread.

I hate it hate it hate it, though, when you go to a place and get sprouts on your sandwich, and they haven't drained them, so the sprouts just taste like water and they sog up the bread to boot.

Jennie

oh boy, mung bean sprouts. wow. for something with so little flavor, they sure are wonderful. in soups. in noodles. in salads. on their own. i love their slightly earthy flavor, and that water content. in pho, i'd almost rather eat the sprouts than the noodles. oh boy, mung bean sprouts.

hate sprouts. unless of course you are talking about the human kind. :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

oh boy, mung bean sprouts.  wow.

Ditto.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Does anyone clean their mung bean sprouts before using? You know, pinching the yellow head and the stringy tail off. Takes longer than forever, but I can't help doing it.

I read somewhere that if given this task in a commercial kitchen you could quit on the spot and still qualify for unemployment benefits.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

Does anyone clean their mung bean sprouts before using? You know, pinching the yellow head and the stringy tail off. Takes longer than forever, but I can't help doing it.

I read somewhere that if given this task in a commercial kitchen you could quit on the spot and still qualify for unemployment benefits.

PJ

there was a thread on this in the Japan board:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...T&f=19&t=19689&

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 5 years later...

I've found another reason I shouldn't go to the grocery store hungry. :blink:

I work part time at a grocery store flower shop with my mom, and when I was dropping her off today and getting lunch for myself, the produce manager stopped me and said, "I have something for you!" I'm his "weird" food buyer. We're a small town grocery store, so some thing just don't fly off the shelves.

Long story short - I got 4-4 oz. containers of sprouts for $.50 each. One each of radish sprouts; a "spicy mix" radish/alfalfa blend; an onion/alfalfa mix (the onion part of this mix seems to be mostly just seeds, unless I can't tell the onion and alfalfa sprouts apart); and a "crunchy mix" of pea, Chinese red bean and mung bean sprouts.

I really like sprouts on sandwiches and got fixings for some of my favorite (turkey, cucumber, spicy hummus and so on), and I figure I can do a stir fry of some sort with the crunchy mix, but what am I going to do with 16 ounces of sprouts?!

Please help!

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

I was craving a sprout-cream cheese-avocado-tomato sandwich just yesterday!

How about putting them in an omelette? No need to cook the sprouts, just fold them straight in. The heat from the egg wilts them, so they tend to shrink quite a bit.