• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Popping mustard seeds.

Smarmotron

Any good tips on popping mustard seeds? It's crucial to strike a balance between not too long (they taste burnt) and not too short (most won't pop). If the heat is too high or too low you get poorly popped seeds. Does anyone have any advice?

You should sprout the mustard seeds to get another texture in your dishes. If you can find them jewel weed seeds have a natural popping effect and have the same flavour profile as mustard seeds!

So, indian style. Heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in a wok.

Have prepared the next few ingredients that go into the oil for the tarka. Particularly something fresh, like green chillies or even a dried red chilli will do in a pinch.

Heat the oil to smoking point, almost! Add the mustard seeds, they will start popping immediately. Yes. Sizzle. Snap. Turn down the heat. Add the other ingredients (powdered ones) in quick succession. Watch like a hawk. Powders burn fast. Add the chilli/fresh ingredient which will take away a lot of the heat because of it's size/green-ness.

I've tried to do the have medium hot oil, toss the seeds in, wait until they pop approach but it just ain't what mama taught me. So I doit with the drama. Try it. You'll see what I mean.

:biggrin:

jhlurie, the mustard seeds are being used to season the oil they are popped in. Also, the heat, like with many other spices, releases an aroma that is wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...

Once popped, mustard seeds take on a completely different taste. they turn much more nutty, with a gentle warmth.

I love the things, especially in simply fried vcgetable dishes, especially potatoes.

Potatoes with Mustard seeds, fennel seeds, chilli and cumin is a particular favourite.

I love animals.

They are delicious.