• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seafood Gourmet

A recent stop for some fresh fish showed that nothing has changed, just retail, 2 little tables, still a curtain with construction going on.

Any intrepid Eg-er have the scoop on when the restaurant will open next to the retail counter?

You were right there, you didn't ask?

• 2 months later...

This place has finally opened their new little 12-table restaurant at the rear of their well-established retail seafood store. Nothing exotic here, but probably the best, freshest, and tastiest seafood in Bergen County. Everything is homemade, and the prices are low, too.

Good luck to John and the crew!!

The dining area is finished and he has his C/O, but they are not officially open yet -- they will be by the second week of January.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 3 weeks later...

My understanding is that Seafood Gourmet's dining room is opening this weekend -- keep in mind they are closed Sundays, but they should be open Saturday night.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

• 3 weeks later...

The dining room is open and the food is great, but expect a wait if you arrive between 5:30 and 8 PM. Jason had a fabulous special tonight of Shrimp and Gnocci in a light tomato and mushroom sauce. I had some simply grilled halibut. Both were equally delicious. Those bacon wrapped scallops though... they rock!

The dining room is open and the food is great, but expect a wait if you arrive between 5:30 and 8 PM. Those bacon wrapped scallops though... they rock!

Mmmm Bacon wrapped scallops... (or shrimp is good too) also I noticed they sell Soy Vey I love using that sauce it makes lots of dishes taste great! I need to stop in there SOON, my Mother-in-Law lives 1/2 mile from there! :cool:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Some new Seafood Gourmet pics:

gallery_2_4_39126.jpg

Raw Oysters

gallery_2_4_1346.jpg

Grilled Halibut

gallery_2_4_71030.jpg

Gnocchi in Tomato/Mushroom herb sauce with Shrimp

Hi Jason! They look scrumptious! Thanks... now I know, but sometimes I need a clue! :blink::biggrin: Thanks again... your avid eater, I mean reader... ME!

MMmm that Gnocchi in Tomato/Mushroom herb sauce with Shrimp looks out of this world good! MAN I have to get there for lunch one day. Thanks again Rachel and Jason! Great work. :laugh:

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Jason:

Were those fries and vegetables with the fish a garnish, or did you eat some before you took the picture? :smile:

Nice-looking fish, by the way.

The place looks great. I hope to try it soon.

~ Ken P.

Edited by Kape (log)

Anon - Captions have been added to the pictures.

Kape - I ate exactly one small fry before Jason snapped the picture. They were pretty good fries, but it does seem like a small portion, right? The entrees come with your choice of any of their soups or salad (I had the soup of the day, mushroom), choice of potato (it doesn't say what type, mashed or baked I guess), rice or fries (aren't they a type of potato?), and veggies (of the day). So, it's not like I didn't have enough to eat - especially because I had an app of bacon wrapped scallops, but the portion of fries & veggies did seem a little skimpy. Anyway, I'm sure if I had said anything, more might have been offered, but it was enough for me last night.

• 2 months later...

Service at the fish market has gotten much worse since the restaurant opened. They have several people taking orders that do not know how to cut fish. They take the order and then go looking for someone to cut the fish. This place does have great fish but the guy who knew how to cut the fish now works primariliy in the dining room. They had 2 people working the other day taking orders in the fish market part of the store and neither knew how to cut fish. It would certainly make sense to train one or both of these people instead of just having order takers who look for someone to cut fish.

• 2 months later...
Anyone been lately?

I decided to see for myself.

Not someplace I would really want to buy fish from. It's a small place and they didn't have much of a selection that I could see. Also the fish looked like it had been sitting in the showcase for a while. I will admit there was no fishy smell, but I was not impressed enough to actually buy .

He does not have a huge selection, but what he does have is very fresh. That's the only consideration for me.

He does not have a huge selection, but what he does have is very fresh. That's the only consideration for me.

Ditto. And frankly, there are NO fishmongers in NJ with a large selection of fish. Unless Citarella opens a branch up soon.

Well, actually, the fish store at the Ridgefield Han Ah Reum has a very good fish selection, but obviously, you can't eat there. Not the same kinds of fish you would get at a place like Seafood Gourmet, since it is meant for Asian preparations, but good stuff usually.

• 2 weeks later...
[Ditto.  And frankly, there are NO fishmongers in NJ with a large selection of fish.  Unless Citarella opens a branch up soon.

Denville Seafood has a much larger selection of fish than Maywood.

I'm not schlepping to Denville from Tenafly to do fish shopping!

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

[Ditto.  And frankly, there are NO fishmongers in NJ with a large selection of fish.  Unless Citarella opens a branch up soon.

Denville Seafood has a much larger selection of fish than Maywood.

I'm not schlepping to Denville from Tenafly to do fish shopping!

I did not imply you should shlep to Denville. I have found it to have a large selection of fish but I guess it depends on what you consider large.

When we lived in East Hanover five years ago it was inconvenient to get to even then. But I will admit they do a very good job with their dinner items, if you are lucky enough to get a seat.

Some new Seafood Gourmet shots:

gallery_2_2290_1520.jpg

Mussels in Garlic Cream sauce special

gallery_2_2290_3294.jpg

Crab Cakes

gallery_2_2290_57887.jpg

Halibut / Shrimp / Scallop special w/fried rice

gallery_2_2290_27144.jpg

South African Lobster Tails w/Shrimp over Capellini Pasta in fresh tomato sauce.

• 1 year later...

We went to Seafood Gourmet today as a half-excuse to go to Moon Doggie Coffee across the street. The fish looked wonderfully fresh and delicious and it had the good fishy smell, not the bad spoiled fishy smell.

We had a lobster salad sandwich and some Manhattan clam chowder. I ordered New England, but they gave me the Manhattan, and we didn't feel like contesting it. It came out wonderfully; the broth was clammy and delicious, and the lobster salad was not at all heavy but sweet and well-balanced. Celery + scallion = best combo for lobster salad.

I got some Cajun crab spread and smoked salmon spread for the Heroes premiere next week too, so we'll see how that works. For anyone who's interested, they do have different specials for takeout and the restaurant now, posted at the fish counter and on the menu.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990