• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frozen paratha

I have just discovered the joys of frozen paratha and felt that I should share what I regard as something of a miracle of nature, or rather man's mastery of nature. What really impresses me about them is the way that all one needs is a hot frying pan - with no oil or ghee or butter - into which one places the frozen paratha, and then in minutes one can have Indian restaurant food for breakfast. Maybe the element of the miraculous is accentuated by the fact that I am rather dozy in the mornings, but I really am very impressed with how closely these frozen parathas resemble those I have had when I eat out. The brand I am using is called 'Al Baker' (Arabic 'Al', rather than Chicago) and so far I have tried their plain butter paratha and one with chopped vegetables and herbs. Any more recommendations on this front?

In the US, I have found many local brands as I have traveled across the country.

There is one brand I found in Denver, I shall try and see if I can go to the grocery before I get back, to get its name. None in the freezer now, or else I would have written about this.

This particular one was mass produced and I am sure is available nationally. The others come wrapped in zip loc bags or other plain plastic and are made in homes locally.

Have you ever tried making parathas at home? Any interest?

I buy a Malaysian brand, Kawan. I like both the plain and the onion parathas.

Suvir: I've seen recipes for paratha, but they always look too simple. It doesn't seem quite possible for something that flaky and delicious to have so few ingredients and steps. Are they truly simple to make at home?

I buy a Malaysian brand, Kawan. I like both the plain and the onion parathas.

Suvir: I've seen recipes for paratha, but they always look too simple. It doesn't seem quite possible for something that flaky and delicious to have so few ingredients and steps. Are they truly simple to make at home?

Rhea_S,

I have enjoyed frozen parathas as well. But they are something entirely different from what is home style or even remotely Indian paratha style. What is similar to home made parathas are the packages you can find in some Indian grocers, these are homestyle parathas made by people in their homes and sold in small numbers to local stores.

The Malaysian brand you speak of, is available and is nice for having sometimes, but whilst I have been in Denver, feeding the family and cooking for many guests, I have realized that there is really no substitute for good home made parathas.

They will never be like the bleached flour, flakey and oily store bought stuff. They are made with whole wheat, with care, very little fat and are meant to be an entirely different animal.

My parents and my sister would not eat the frozen ones after they had it the one time I asked them to try them. They said the taste was good, but that the item was not really a paratha. They were correct, but the frozen ones made my life easy as my brother who loves parathas, was able to enjoy them without feeling he put me through the grind.

Home made parathas are very easy to make. What is tedious to some is that they can only be enjoyed at the best when they are fresh off the griddle. I love having people at a table eating parathas as I prepare them. It is those enjoying them that have trouble. In India, chefs at homes do this all the time, and I would never even think of eating frozen ones.

We make parat waale parathas (flaky multilayered parathas) at home, these are amazing, but again, nothing like those frozen ones packaged to sell commercially. They are made from what could be a cross between a paratha, phyllo and puff pastry. They are tasty and convenient but not what any Indian would call Paratha.

If you want recipes for parathas, email me at chef@suvir.com, I would be happy to give you recipes that you can play with.

I enjoy the Kawan parathas when I have harldy anytime on my hand, and have some tasty dish prepared and needing bread to heighten its enjoyment. Kawan parathas are my safe and comfortable alternative in those times.

Thanks Suvir! I've never had real parathas, so I didn't know what I was missing.

Rhea, you have had what are really very good store bought parathas. The Malaysian ones you mention are very popular with many Indians in the US.

If you have any desire to make parathas as one would find in the homes of India, do email me, I would be happy to give you recipes.