• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Weak dollar hits U.S. wine importers

Craig Camp

:hmmm:

Heh. Looks like the everyday house wines at my place are gonna be domestic for the back end of 2003. Nuts. Just when the availability and prices were taking me into more international waters...

Ah well.

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Craig -

thanks for the link. curiously, the Wall Street Journal had an article last week which suggested the grape gluts in California and France would probably minimize the ability of many importers to raise prices to dollar based purchasers, as producers attempt to move volumes to maintain cash flow.

with steep competition in the $15 - $50 US segment, their experts felt only the most respected brands could avoid discounting. The very strong Euro doesn't make exports to the US any easier for Italy, Spain, and France

Paul

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

curiously, when the $ was strong & we had a strong economy, but with an overseas wine glut;

keep gouging & keep french wines high!!!

now, when the US economy is weak, with the same wine glut, but now a strong €, prices cannot be reduced for fear of shrinking profit margins from already high levels.

gotta love that intuitive reasoning!!

When there is a glut -- don't buy futures -- unless there is some rarity you want to lock in to guarantee ownership.

Viejo

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer

The Washington Times has an article this weekend on the subject.

Short take: Sales of "top" French wines down in the US about 9% in April compared to last year. Euro and displeasure at the French bashing of the US. Wine sales in the first quarter were up 40% over the same Q in 2002.

I was in the Calvert Woodley last Saturday and it's obvious they are doing a lot of promotion, but prices didn't seem notably aggresive to me. They're not giving away the good stuff.

KRC Research in the Washington Times

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

The article underestimates what I've seen in the market, espcially for Chateauneuf du Pape.  Prices for 2001 futures are up closer to 20%.

What the article fails to take into account are the buying patterns of American wholesalers. Wholesalers would have purchased inventories for the 2002 holiday season and the early part of 2003 in the late summer of 2002 and taken delivery in fall. Normally they do not restock on imports until the weather improves and their sales improve in the spring. That means many importers are looking at a 30% increase in pricing from when they brought in their last orders in 2002 to when they bring in their first orders of 2003.