• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Napa Valley Corkage Charges

Craig Camp

Thank you for an interesting article. Over the last year or so I have changed my mind about the right and need for restaurants to charge corkage. I am much more sympathetic to them.

" Food and Wine Fanatic"

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

I'm young and naive about corkage, for the most part. I know what it is, but honestly, who brings their own wine, why do they do it, and how do restaurants get away with letting people serve themselves?

Can I bring a bottle of Absinthe?

Hey,

I'm young and naive about corkage, for the most part. I know what it is, but honestly, who brings their own wine, why do they do it, and how do restaurants get away with letting people serve themselves?

Can I bring a bottle of Absinthe?

i think most people who bring their own are bringing something that the restaurant doesn't offer. lots of collectors want to enjoy their wine with food that they couldn't make at home, so BYOBing is the obvious choice.

i suppose the rules vary from state to state as far as serving yourself hard liquor. i know that in NJ, for example, you can bring wine/beer to a restaurant that doesn't serve liquor, but you can't bring spirits. if a restaurant has a license to serve liquor, however, using one's best judgement is always best. which would include, i'd imagine, not plopping down a bottle of tequila, regardless of the laws in that area.