• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef's Table.

That's the standard procedure in the places I've seen: it's not that you pay more for the same food; it's that you have to commit to ordering a more expensive menu. In other words it's more of a minimum than a fee.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

At a risk of repeating this "great read" thread, I would have to agree with Tony and the likes, I do not believe that these Chefs are out to "Fuck" anyone. This all boils down to a love of food and roots. Most chefs started off cooking for family and friends and having someone around to talk to while they are cooking, not just the employee they have to manage. Having someone in the kitchen with them, there to enjoy and observe and converse, is almost natural to some of these guys. I would only hope that sometime time the road that when I am in charge of my own kitchen, I could have a table in there for these reasons, not to stretch anyones asshole out of shape, but to enjoy the fellowship of what draws many into this grueling field THE LOVE OF FOOD!!

That's the standard procedure in the places I've seen: it's not that you pay more for the same food; it's that you have to commit to ordering a more expensive menu. In other words it's more of a minimum than a fee.

i have not seen that. i guess i'm lucky. does the famous Park Ave Cafe (NYC) do that?

At a risk of repeating this "great read" thread, I would have to agree with Tony and the likes,  I do not believe that these Chefs are out to "Fuck" anyone. This all boils down to a love of food and roots. Most chefs started off cooking for family and friends and having someone around to talk to while they are cooking, not just the employee they have to manage. Having someone in the kitchen with them, there to enjoy and observe and converse, is almost natural to some of these guys. I would only hope that sometime time the road that when I am in charge of my own kitchen, I could have a table in there for these reasons, not to stretch anyones asshole out of shape, but to enjoy the fellowship of what draws many into this grueling field  THE LOVE OF FOOD!!

Then you have our good buddy CT in Chicago.

Is there a parallel when people go to a live concert?

They pay lots of money to be there in person. The sound quality is not good. The crowds can be irksome. For $15.00 a CD is the obvious best choice --- but -- there is that element of excitement being there in person.

Viejo

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer

i have not seen that. i guess i'm lucky. does the famous Park Ave Cafe (NYC) do that?

I'm not sure, and the restaurant's Web site doesn't say anything about it. Here's an article about the phenomenon from one of the industry magazines, though:

http://www.restaurant.org/business/magarti...m?ArticleID=133

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Tony, when I worked in a bookshop, a guy came in and asked for Dante in french.  when I gave him the volumes he said " that's great, one of the reaosns I took french classes was to read this in the original"

That's how I feel about you.  Well intentioned but misguided

"Nel mezzo camin di nostra vita, mi ritrovai per una selva oscura"...obviously that French reading dude is still stuck in that forest.

Apologies to Dante -

Weka

"Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least."

- Goethe

But seriously, at the risk of sounding extremely naive, I didn't realize anyone actually paid for a Chef's table. As I recall the last I attended was an invite type thing. It hadn't ever occurred to me to actually seek one out and pay for it, at least not on the individual diner's level basis.

Blissfully wishing to remain unaware of the financial exchanges involved in an excellent meal, wine and good company -

Weka

"Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least."

- Goethe

If you go to a diner and take a seat at the counter, would you choose one in front of where you could watch someone cooking.

Yes, but because it wouldn't cost me anything. If they were gonna charge me an extra $10 to sit and watch the guy flip burgers, I wouldn't do it.

pixel, sorry, am not familiar with what part of the country you are from..here in the NJ/NY region the chef's table are either competitive prix fix or no extra charge,,,is it much different in your neck of the woods?

Kim, is it "competitive" in the sense of high end restaurants? Maybe competitive in those terms speaks volumes about how chef's tables are perceived. Why are there no chef's tables at the Olive Garden?

I have been in two kitchens in Chicago that had chef's tables in them and in one of those kitchens the chef's table is located right next to the dishwasher station. For anybody that doesn't know, most dish stations do not add a tranquil ambience to the dining experience. There is usually food slopped around in certain areas, it is steamy, hot, and usually they carry a putrid odor. With all that being said, this kitchen charges 175 dollars a person to eat at this table. Why would anyone want to pay this? In the other kitchen the chef's table is located in the chef's office at a distance from the dish station with an excellent view of the brigade at work. The office is nice, well kept, and in a beautiful condition. I don't know, but it is just my two cents. I'd rather dine in the comfortable dining rooms and then ask for a tour of the kitchen afterwards which most highend kitchens oblige to.

• 11 years later...

Not to rehash old thoughts but this thread is a good read.

I would look forward to dining at a chef's table. Watching how food is prepared in a professional environment, where time and consistency are the keywords would be fascinating. I wouldn't be interested in chefs showing off nor commenting to them. If a chef had a moment to speak to me that would be a bonus, not an expectation. Granted that in many instances it could be seen as a marketing ploy, but in the same vein so are wine pairings. It's not say they don't have value, but rather they are in the eye of the beholder.

On another note, this thread must have occurred the month all the moderators were on holidays lol I'm all for spirited discussion, and this certainly was spirited at times, but the fact that the contributers managed to arrive at some point of agreement, compromise or understanding says something about the fundamental natures of our members.

p