• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stove Top Diffusers

For moderating heat to the pan, I prefer the two-layer type, often sold under the trade name “Flame Master.” Much better than disk-type diffusers for this purpose. Often can found in the housewares department of hardware stores (not so much in cookware stores). Also available from Fantes (scroll down) and Amazon. Have been using for years and recommend highly.

So..

I picked up some Bella Copper. They offer buy 2 get a 6" free now. I have the 8 and the 10 " also.

I really like how they performed last night, but I could see a better design. I actually might just stop by my Manufacturing company and see about a design , I would really like to see a diffuser span two burners. Its like cooking on a flat top and creating Zones of cooking , warming and holding sauces. You might only use one burner and move the sauces back according to the dissipating heat.

Carry over heat, makes me take the sauce off the plate, I think it would be better to just slide it to a slightly cooler zone.

Thoughts?

6851689189_09128ed8d2.jpg

Its good to have Morels

So..

I picked up some Bella Copper. They offer buy 2 get a 6" free now. I have the 8 and the 10 " also.

I really like how they performed last night, but I could see a better design. I actually might just stop by my Manufacturing company and see about a design , I would really like to see a diffuser span two burners. Its like cooking on a flat top and creating Zones of cooking , warming and holding sauces. You might only use one burner and move the sauces back according to the dissipating heat.

Carry over heat, makes me take the sauce off the plate, I think it would be better to just slide it to a slightly cooler zone.

Thoughts?

6851689189_09128ed8d2.jpg

I have the one in the top middle... it works great as a buffer but pans seem to slide off it easily.

I really like how they performed last night, but I could see a better design. I actually might just stop by my Manufacturing company and see about a design , I would really like to see a diffuser span two burners.

I think you can put two 10" plates together -- in fact, that's why they made them with a square shape.

http://bellacopper.stores.yahoo.net/faqs.html

On my stove, the 10" perfectly covers one grate, so if I had two, I could create a continuous surface. However, since the heat dispersion is so good, you might not get the behavior you're talking about, like with a French top.

It should be possible to get a larger copper plate custom made if that's what you're looking for.

Edited by Will (log)

J-BOT,

If I get some time this week-end I might give it a try>

Otherwise-- I did find a source for small quantities of copper sale-- McMaster.com

Its sells 12 x 24 inch 1/8 inch copper plates!! Not cheap 218.17 Dollars. Yikes

Its good to have Morels

Ok

I did what I thought was the toast test to me:

This is cast Iron Skillet, directly on a 3.25 inch burner. Large on my top.

6852087721_2212d2159d.jpg

This is cast iron skillet on a 8 " Bella Copper Diffuser.. THE Cast iron hangs over the 8"-- a 10" would be better

6852090221_05b4db8533.jpg

Flame tamer

6852166283_bb701353be.jpg

A time reference.

it took about 2.25 mins to toast the first, 3.25 to toast the copper, 4.25 to toast the FlameTamer

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

Very nice post. Thanks for the experiment. It's interesting for me that the copper plate concentrated the heat to the center, judging by the second picture.

I think I'm going to stop by the junkyard and pick up a slab of aluminum. Not quite as good as copper, but much cheaper.

Phone Bella Copper. They will make them to your size specifications. They used to offer the double burner one.

I have one that is 10 x 18 It is discolored from being over fairly high heat but will revert to true copper color when polished - I just use half a lemon dipped in salt. The old-fashioned way!

HPIM4525.JPG

and one that is 11 x 18 HPIM4526.JPG

as well as the smaller square ones.

HPIM4527.JPG

HPIM4528.JPG

I got the bigger ones so I can use several little pans at the same time, saves me a lot of time.

HPIM4529.JPG

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Hi, junkbot:

Go ahead and get the aluminum if you want. I have a porthole cutout in 5/8" that works well on low heat. Just be aware that aluminum's melting point is only 1220F. I'm not entirely sure how hot a calrod coil gets on High, but it maxes out my IR gun (>1022F). Copper's melting point is substantially higher, namely 1984F.

The thick aluminum slab works great as defroster, too.

• 1 year later...

I just bought a second "SimmerMat." First bought one a short while back on Amazon, but loved it so much that I just bought another.

As to why, it's really difficult to be certain that the electric burner is low enough, and the heat diffused enough, to simmer a pot of soup, or whatever, without burning it.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=simmer+mat&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=1691719276&ref=pd_sl_2k23slxmak_p

Want to add that we also bought this one a few weeks back:

http://www.amazon.com/Cast-Iron-Diffuser-Handle-Ilsa/dp/B0007T25ZC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1378161368&sr=8-3&keywords=simmer+mat

Heavier than the SimmerMat and at first we loved it more.

But it accidentally got left on a burner (under the pan so we forgot it was there) with the heat on as high as it will go. We were trying to boil a big soup pot of water. That really high heat caused bubbles to rise on the heat diffuser. We still use it, but it looks kind of ratty.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.