• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

While no one was voted off, the poor pig, along with assorted other crustaceans, beasts, and fowl were rent asunder with great gusto in a truly grand Bacchanalian orgy of shameless gluttony.  The various side dishes, whether vegetable, stew, condiment, or salad, suffered the same fate.  The desserts put up a stout defense, but were decimated just the same. A few survived with only slight injury, but only because of their overwhelming numbers.  Even these were being slowly reduced by fresh attacks by the dazed, but determined e-Gulleteers on Sunday.  Wobbling slightly, either due to drink or to a newly shifted center of gravity, faces shining from a surfeit of pig fat, the hardy e-Gulleteers once again put on their human disguises to blend in with the common people.  Should another pig appear, they will be ready.

My thanks to our gracious hosts and all who attended and helped out with this wonderfully decadent affair.  It was a truly fantastic event.

rich, good to see you hanging around and posting. :smile:

[The man is surprisingly quiet, but his sense of humor is priceless.

oh varmint-if you knew al dente like i know al dente- he must have doubled up his meds for the weekend! :biggrin:

errr.... :blink:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

fad168e0.jpg

Study and retain.  There will be a quiz!

Chicago Dean on the left.  Raleigh Dean on the right.

Hey, I thought that was chump-ass Tommy on the left! :unsure:

fad16e3a.jpg

Everett puts Dad down for a nap.

See - I wasn't the only one that passed out!!!

Dean earned that nap in a big way... :wink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

now i'm finally back in england, i just wanted to say THANK YOU SO MUCH for the pig pickin'. saturday was fab; the collard greens, those spicy mushrooms and, of course, the pig. it was completely delicious, i didn't realise that pork could taste so good. well worth travelling over 3,500 miles for!

and the people, thank you all so much for making jack and i so welcome, especially mike, blondie and "the deans".

jack took me to harris tweeter and wholefoods on sunday morning (who said romance was dead?) so i'll report back on that once i've settled back in (and once my cats have got over my return and stop walking on the keyboard)

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

I just found about 10 red bell peppers in my trunk yesterday.  Was anyone looking for those?  :biggrin:

Grrrrrr. :angry:

The only damn place I didn't look!..Hope they're still edible.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I just found about 10 red bell peppers in my trunk yesterday.  Was anyone looking for those? :biggrin:

But Maggie, we did look. Remember how we took Varmint's keys and left them where he couldn't find them?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I just found about 10 red bell peppers in my trunk yesterday.  Was anyone looking for those?   :biggrin:

But Maggie, we did look. Remember how we took Varmint's keys and left them where he couldn't find them?

That's right, we did! (Must have burned off more brain cells in Raleigh than I thought.) So why didn't we find them, Archie? But I did know where the car keys were.

Matthew, they are just beautiful, kinda mottled red and yellow.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I dug up a couple more pictures that I had previously failed to post:

i430.jpg

Ian Shorter twinkling the ivories.

i431.jpg

Malawry was the Varmint's Pig Pickin' Queen.

i427.jpg

Aurora making a barbecue sammich.

i428.jpg

The quintessential sammich, served with some of guajolote's awesome pickled heirloom okra.

i429.jpg

G-man and Dr. Mrs. Varmint's mom.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I was showing a few friends the photos on this thread and trying to explain as best I could how much FUN this was and what a complete sense of comraderie there was amongst this group of food nerd kindred spirits. I kept being told how BRAVE I was for driving all that way and only knowing Charlie, the person I drove down with. It never occured to me NOT to come once I'd made my decision. Whether it was a brave thing to do or not, I'm ever so glad that I did! Good grief! With all the stress and time constraints there are on our busy lives, it's nearly impossible to keep up old acquaintances, no less meet new ones. It was such a pleasure to make so many new friends in such a short period of time. The wonders of the internet never cease to amaze me. Where else could you find that same eclectic but hard working bunch of folks that made this party the happening that it was?

Can't wait to see the newspaper coverage! Dean - urely you'll post a link for us when the article comes out, wontcha?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 weeks later...