• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

I also want to bring up again the type of pork we were eating. Much of this information comes from a March 12, 2003 article in the Raleigh News and Observer, written by Susan Houston. Ms. Houston led me to the Niman Ranch pig farmer, from whom I purchased the pig.

A professor from North Carolina A&T in Greensboro wanted to help small farmers of North Carolina, particularly those who had lost their tobacco allotments. Using money from the Golden Leaf settlement and inspired by an article in Ed Behr's "The Art of Eating", this professor, Chuck Talbott, contacted a Niman Ranch official and initiated a pilot program for farmers to raise Niman Ranch hogs. In the 90s, NC pig farmers were receiving 10 cents a pound for their hogs. This means that I would have had to pay $20 for the 200 pound pig used in the pig pickin'. Niman Ranch, on the other hand, pays at least 40 cents a pound. Mr. Wade Cole lives in rural North Carolina and had been raising soybeans, corn and other produce after he stopped growing tobacco. He previously raised hogs, but got out of that business when the market bottomed out. He received 12 Niman Ranch sows and 2 boars. He has plenty more, now. These animals are free range, fed a Niman Ranch-prescribed diet, and are treated humanely (they get to keep their tails)!

Up until last week, Wade Cole had never had the chance to eat one of these pigs. His first chance came several days before I picked up our pig. Ed Mitchell, the famed barbecue master of Wilson, North Carolina, had cooked up one of Mr. Cole's pigs. Mr. Mitchell's reputation is national, having been featured in an episode of Tony Bourdain's Food Network show as well as a thread on this site: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...710&hl=mitchell. When finalizing the logistics of picking up the pig, Mr. Cole started getting a bit inquisitive regarding how I was going to cook it. He asked when I was going to start it and when I expected it to be done. There was then silence at his end of the line, followed, by a quiet, halting question: "Would you mind if I came to your pig pickin'." Of course, I told him I'd be honored for him to come.

Well, he arrived with his lovely lady Margaret early enough sample a rib. Then some unseasoned pork. He nibbled on the tail. He then sampled the chopped pork. Then some crunchy skin ("pork brittle"). Finally, he tried some chopped pork with cracklins and skin mixed in, along with the sauce. He walked away grinning ear to ear.

About half an hour later, after my frantic chopping had slowed down, he came back to chat with me. He said, "Dean, I've eaten a lot of pig in my life. I had one of my pigs cooked by Ed Mitchell himself. But I've never had any barbecue taste nearly as good as this, and I thank you for letting me come today." The man's eyes were almost filled with tears, and mine are certainly that way just thinking about that moment. There are a lot of great people in this world, and I am proud to have met and to have fed as decent a man as Mr. Wade Cole.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Mummer was perhaps the most animated and friendly person there,

Holy Cow!

What if I hadn't been clobbered by an ambulance on Thursday evening?

Fortunately, nobody was hurt in Philly (or Raleigh.)

As for the accident, I've already done the Prine song and talked with the rental company's adjuster and my insurer. Hopefully, everything will blow over.

There's an ugly species called Philadelphia lawyer, but I've a witness.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

By all means, Al Dente and everyone else, let us NYers know when you're coming and we'll show you some real NORTHERN hospitality.  :biggrin: Which Varmint can attest to, right?  :unsure:

You'll get some fine hospitality, Al Dente, but, Suzanne, don't make me choose!!! Remember, 3 Heartlanders made it down and only 1 New Yorker (although =Mark from Jersey also came). Not that numbers mean anything!? :raz:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Wow - I didn't realize our pig had a PEDIGREE and all that special treatment! Hot damn. I got misty just thinking about it...

Mr. Cole is truly a decent and hard working man. Glad he could join us and partake of the "fruits" of his labor, so to speak.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Wade Cole was himself inspiring. I spent a little while chatting with him over by the puppy station. He was very kind and seemed bemused by all these enthusiastic food nerds. He appreciated all the pig-farming questions I asked him and struck me as a genuine gentleman of the sort rarely seen these days. He won me over right away. Varm, thanks for the additional background, it raises my esteem even more.

I sauteed it in butter, shallots, garlic, capers, parsley, basil and white wine served over angel hair last night.  It was still tasty, but past its prime.  The sauce was incredible.

Sounds great, and a nice antidote to porcine excess.

I don't know about the other stuff, but I recognize the garlic -- that nice hard-neck stuff from the farmer's market? -- and basil from G's hangar steak app?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Remember, 3 Heartlanders made it down and only 1 New Yorker (although =Mark from Jersey also came).  Not that numbers mean anything!?  :raz:

I'll come next time! (Although, does it count where you actually live (NYC) or from where you originally hail (Ohio))?

Sherri A. Jackson

I sauteed it in butter, shallots, garlic, capers, parsley, basil and white wine served over angel hair last night.  It was still tasty, but past its prime.  The sauce was incredible.

Sounds great, and a nice antidote to porcine excess.

I don't know about the other stuff, but I recognize the garlic -- that nice hard-neck stuff from the farmer's market? -- and basil from G's hangar steak app?

I still have one hanger steak left. I made up two steak salads for lunch yesterday. My law partner who provided one keg of beer helped me take the kegs back. I had some romaine, some carrots, some 3 year Canadian Cheddar and then whipped up a nice vinagrette with 12 year old balsamic, basil, garlic, and some of Jim Dixon's olive oil. Salt and pepper was all that was needed to have a most incredible lunch. Thanks again for leaving those, g-man!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I feel perhaps I missed out on a lot of the commraderie since I didn't arrive until Saturday and by that time many of the relationships and responsibilities had already been established.

Yes. It does sound as though the "alliances" had been formed -- which, as we all know -- is so critical to these "survivor" experiences.

But I guess no one got voted off, did they??

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I feel perhaps I missed out on a lot of the commraderie since I didn't arrive until Saturday and by that time many of the relationships and responsibilities had already been established.

Yes. It does sound as though the "alliances" had been formed -- which, as we all know -- is so critical to these "survivor" experiences.

Jaymes:

No one needed to get "voted" off. We'd all just wander off from time to time and collapse whimpering in the corners and pass out. Then we'd wake up from see-sawing on our bloated little bellies! :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Jaymes:

No one needed to get "voted" off. We'd all just wander off from time to time and collapse whimpering in the corners and pass out. Then we'd wake up from see-sawing on our bloated little bellies! :laugh:

Katie, if I correctly recall that scene of you in the corner of the living room, propped against the air mattress, you were the only one to "pass out." Correct?????? :wink::biggrin:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Shorter & Shorter + 2 - one is an awsome pork hand, the other cooks collards like a sista', and their children are beautiful!

I've never been called a pork hand before. :)

Edit to point out that this was written by sashorter, who doesn't know why hjshorter was still logged in on his laptop. :blink:

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Yeah, I'm sorry I wasn't there for the TMBG sing-a-long. Their music is de rigeur in my household, we especially like singing their music to lighten the mood when we go for hikes or rake leaves together.

I just knew I liked you guys. :biggrin:

We have everything TMBG has ever done. Scott sings Dr Worm to the kids all the time.

Varmint - Sing this one for Guaj on the next ride to the airport. He'll love it and gaze at you adoringly. Then you can hit the high notes together.

Ana Ng and I are getting old

And we still haven't walked in the glow of each other's majestic presence

Listen Ana hear my words

They're the ones you would think I would say if there was a me for you

Shorter & Shorter + 2 - one is an awsome pork hand, the other cooks collards like a sista', and their children are beautiful!

I've never been called a pork hand before. :)

The title was bestowed upon you with endless adoration for a job well done. :smile:

There are a lot of great people in this world, and I am proud to have met and to have fed as decent a man as Mr. Wade Cole.

as a north cackalackian, i understand that Wade Cole has paid you a phenomenal tribute!! i think that i read about him in gourmet last fall. anyone who takes the tanked ag industry in n.c. and turns it into great pig flesh is my HERO! guess that the folks inside the beltway haven't learned their lesson about pork! (attn john edwards) i was kinda hoping for scratch and sniff 2.5 version with the pix--i was stuck at the hospital all weekend, but had to excuse myself to salivate in private. i know that i missed something really cool... i'll count on al to give me his version (that'll be a hoot) :laugh: thanks for providing some welcome diversion from the stress of the neonatal icu! victoria

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

Jaymes:

Katie, if I correctly recall that scene of you in the corner of the living room, propped against the air mattress, you were the only one to "pass out." Correct?????? :wink::biggrin:

Yeah, alright. So shoot me for extrapolating my personal experience to all of you! :laugh:

I still bet I wasn't the only one to wake up see-sawing on their bloated belly though...:blink: Whether it was during the party or later on is irrelevant!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

While no one was voted off, the poor pig, along with assorted other crustaceans, beasts, and fowl were rent asunder with great gusto in a truly grand Bacchanalian orgy of shameless gluttony. The various side dishes, whether vegetable, stew, condiment, or salad, suffered the same fate. The desserts put up a stout defense, but were decimated just the same. A few survived with only slight injury, but only because of their overwhelming numbers. Even these were being slowly reduced by fresh attacks by the dazed, but determined e-Gulleteers on Sunday. Wobbling slightly, either due to drink or to a newly shifted center of gravity, faces shining from a surfeit of pig fat, the hardy e-Gulleteers once again put on their human disguises to blend in with the common people. Should another pig appear, they will be ready.

My thanks to our gracious hosts and all who attended and helped out with this wonderfully decadent affair. It was a truly fantastic event.

"I never have trouble getting in shape. The Ancient Greeks thought the sphere was the perfect shape, all points being equidistant from the center. I effortlessly tend toward perfection".

While no one was voted off, the poor pig, along with assorted other crustaceans, beasts, and fowl were rent asunder with great gusto in a truly grand Bacchanalian orgy of shameless gluttony. The various side dishes, whether vegetable, stew, condiment, or salad, suffered the same fate. The desserts put up a stout defense, but were decimated just the same. A few survived with only slight injury, but only because of their overwhelming numbers. Even these were being slowly reduced by fresh attacks by the dazed, but determined e-Gulleteers on Sunday. Wobbling slightly, either due to drink or to a newly shifted center of gravity, faces shining from a surfeit of pig fat, the hardy e-Gulleteers once again put on their human disguises to blend in with the common people. Should another pig appear, they will be ready.

Can I just say - Nice turn of phrase, mon ami! :cool:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!