• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

This event was so large that it was physically impossible for any one eGulleteer to have been everywhere cool stuff happened, or to see everything...

True 'dis. There were folks hanging out everywhere, and helping do stuff everywhere, although the kitchen was definitely the center of the Pig Pickin' Universe for Friday evening and Saturday early afternoon. There was all kinda stuff happenin' at any given moment, so you're all going to have to piece this together from the various accounts I think.

For myself (and I'm certain I speak for the other "hard cores" that came early and stayed late) I'd just like to repeat how unbelievably hospitable Varmint and his incredible family were to us. Dr. Mrs. Varmint is a saint for putting up with the likes of the crowd of rowdy drunken foodies that invaded her lovely home, took over her kitchen and backyard and left a mess in their wake. And she doesn't even eat red meat! She's an awe inspiring example of patience, tolerance and graciousness. And her parents were kind enough to invite us to THEIR lovely home for lunch on Sunday. :wub::wub: True Southern hospitality. All of us with long drives ahead of us were properly caffeinated with fresh espresso shots before we hit the road. I can't imagine anyone being nicer.

I can hardly wait for the next multi-regional/international eGullet event! I had so much fun my coworkers are sick of listening to me blather on about it :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I can't believe there are no pictures of Varmint's kitchen. I did do a drawing of it.

Thanks to Dean, Marcella, little Varmints, in-laws and everyone else. Dean's in-laws have the most beautiful house ever, and it was very kind of them to have us over on Sunday. The taste of the pig was worth every penny I spent to get there. The extra bonus was meeting all of the fantastic eG peeps.

What happened to the Packers? They were ahead by 14 points when I left.

I can't believe there are no pictures of Varmint's kitchen. I did do a drawing of it.

516.gif

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Dr. Mrs. Varmint is a saint for putting up with the likes of the crowd of rowdy drunken foodies that invaded her lovely home, took over her kitchen and backyard and left a mess in their wake.  And she doesn't even eat red meat!  She's an awe inspiring example of patience, tolerance and graciousness.

I do have to chime in on how eGullet folks were readily willing to step up late on Saturday night to clean up and break down the site. it took about 15 minutes for eGulleteers to fold the tables and chairs, as well to bring plates, pans and utensils to be cleaned. I hoped we were able to make the thought of a repeat pig pickin' a possibility... :rolleyes:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

That map needs little moving dots that read "Dave the Cook," "Maggiethecat," "Edemuth," "Guajolote," "Aurora," "L'il Varmints" and of course "Malawry." At least one of these dots should be brushing against another at any given time for accuracy.

I just wanted to say how much we enjoyed ourselves Saturday night. Thanks, Varmint for busting your ass and your pocketbook for that event. We met a lot of people, including some friends and neighbors of yours that just made us feel right at home! What a great spot to live! We sat next to Lorita and Bob who were both thrilled and blown away that we would come to a pig pickin from as far away as Connecticut without knowing anybody. My response was that while I have never met you or your wife, I kinda felt like I knew you. They didn't get that at all, but smiled and nodded their heads with approval nonetheless.

Until last Saturday, Hushpuppies were shoes to me. Malawry set me straight on that issue and I now have my mind right!

The were better than I ever thought possible, my thanks to you, Malawry!!

I had to check with Mrs. Varmint about the power tools and cooking stuff and Varmint, your story checks out. You found a good woman!! As it turns out we both bought an 18'' chainsaw the day before. I'm guessing she got the one on sale at Sears too.

We missed the VD Stew and the Lemoncello. We figured the "staff dinner" wiped out Katie's Lemoncello, oh well.

We went back to the hotel and recovered for a while, then went to 42nd St Oyster Bar. It was packed, but we got a seat at the bar within a few minutes and I had a half dozen gulf oysters and a beautiful pan sauted soft shell crab. Deb had some cajun fried oysters that I helped her finish. They were great!

Sunday we went to the state farmers market and even though it was Sunday and a lot of the places were not open by the time we had to leave, we could get some sense of how nice it must be on Saturday. We took your lead, Varmint and had breakfast at the "round resturaunt". Deb and I had eggs and grits and buiscuits and I had "red eye gravy". What the hell is that?

Thanks again!!!!!!!

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)

Congrats all; the coverage here was excellent; too bad I was stuck on the wrong coast to be able to attend. Maybe next time. (It seems that Varmint isn't nearly ready to contemplate another one - understandable, but the mind has an amazing way of forgetting any unpleasant stuff, and remembering the good). There WILL be another Pickin' - maybe not soon, but I have no doubt about it.

One question though:

Dr. Mrs. Varmint is a saint for putting up with the likes of the crowd of rowdy drunken foodies [...] And she doesn't even eat red meat!

Apparently, mostly-veggie Malawry found the lure of animal flesh irrestible; it appears that Dr. Mrs. Varmint didn't eat any of the pig though?? While I respect her choice, what about all that propaganda about "the other white meat"?

I've gotta say that justice done past the Brunswick stew!

Pig & Southern hospitality must rest stop here:

That boy Dave set about creating an amazing stew and, Dad gummit, he done good.

It's an awful shame that one had to make Sunday to chomp those moist critters that made this smiling boy's bowl.

Sunday's VD stew was among the finest things I've eaten in my life.

BTW, our host never passed out onto the floor. Most certainly, he needed a nap, and, as the father of the four Li'l Varmints, he took it.

If it weren't for his wife, he'd be my hero.

Edited by Mummer (log)

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

[schoolmarm mode]Um, Steven, I don't think enormity is quite the right word here.  ("an outrageous, improper, vicious, or immoral act" Webster 10).  :shock:  [/schoolmarm]

Party on, y'all!  :biggrin:

Sounds right to me!!

"I never have trouble getting in shape. The Ancient Greeks thought the sphere was the perfect shape, all points being equidistant from the center. I effortlessly tend toward perfection".

Dr. Mrs. Varmint is a saint for putting up with the likes of the crowd of rowdy drunken foodies that invaded her lovely home, took over her kitchen and backyard and left a mess in their wake.  And she doesn't even eat red meat!  She's an awe inspiring example of patience, tolerance and graciousness.

I do have to chime in on how eGullet folks were readily willing to step up late on Saturday night to clean up and break down the site. it took about 15 minutes for eGulleteers to fold the tables and chairs, as well to bring plates, pans and utensils to be cleaned. I hoped we were able to make the thought of a repeat pig pickin' a possibility... :rolleyes:

Mark:

I'm not suggesting the spirit of helpfulness of eGulleteers was not in evidence, only that Dr. Mrs. Varmint had no business getting dish-pan hands and having done so was way above and beyond the call of duty! And any party that requires pressure hosing the grease off the tennis court definitely qualifies as "leaving a mess in your wake" in my book :blink:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Yeah, yeah! other Dean.

Still sorting our the Thursay CRASH rental with the other one that, serendipitously, brought Katie an' me to NC.

John Prine is my hero; behind 'Cella!

There might be another Varmint's Pig Pickin' - "would ya come?," but give that sucker a break!

If we're lucky, we'll convince him, years ahead, to do it again.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

the pig pickin' looked fabulous, and I VOW that i will attend the next one! I cant believe that I missed all those pies, oh my................ though, thanks to Ron, I did drink the most amazing avocado milkshake at a vietnamese place in Louisville KY, but dont worry i m sure it doesnt compare to those pies and puddin's, those pieessssssssssssssssss katie fill me in! i m drooling over my laptop...............

"Is there anything here that wasn't brutally slaughtered" Lisa Simpson at a BBQ

"I think that the veal might have died from lonliness"

Homer

I just wanted to break in on all the merriment and say, once again, that I had a great time.

I got in around 8 PM. I dropped my bag and went to bed. I can't explain why I was tired or why I wasn't very hungry today...

To Varmint, Mrs. Varmint, and the four Varmint children: thank you so much. You opened up your home and treated us like family. It was everything that a shared food experience should be.

Who knew that Mom and Dad were such party people? What an amazing house.

That was some lip smackin', awe-inspiring pork! BTW, thank you for passing me a rib. It was so good; I nearly dropped where I stood. I damn near cried.

It was a pleasure to finally meet you all in person. In no way did any of you disappoint.

Dave - I got to peel potatos, mince garlic, chop jalapeños, heirloom tomatos, and time for you AND sing They Might Be Giants? If somebody had told me that last week, I would have slapped them. The VD stew was delicious, and that red eye gravy was the best.

Malawry - Any woman who can pull off the number of tasks that you accomplished over the weekend deserves a crown, a scepter and an orb. If I get to DC, will you please make hush puppies for me?

Katie - What up roomie! - Empress of the aperitif and various spirited beverages involving ginger beer. I loved the lemoncello. If only I could have taken that jug on the plane.

Shorter & Shorter + 2 - one is an awsome pork hand, the other cooks collards like a sista', and their children are beautiful!

=Mark - you and your brother are skilled roasting masters. The mustard sauce was really delicious.

Mummer - Whoo, whoo!

Al Dente - you really should be writing some of these stories down. Just make sure to change the name of the bartender.

Blondie - you are one mean jalapeño chopper, and you have a heart of gold. I mean it. As soon as I bag a few million, the kitchen contract is yours.

The trip would not have been right without my Heartland Homies, Maggie and Guajolote. Nothing is right without Big G and the Dark Lady.

I have discovered that anything tastes better when it's basted in duck fat, broiled, smothered in red eye gravy and served up with a side of pickled beets.

Duck crackling. It doesn't suck.

The teamwork and camaraderie were impressive and it added to the fun of the entire weekend. I'm sorry I couldn't stay for the pressure washing of the tennis court.

I don't know what happened with the Packers, but my pain was reduced when word came that the Saints creamed the Bears (Packers Rule! On, Wisconsin! Badgers rrrrrrrrr!. Go Cubbies!)

:biggrin:

dessert.jpg

Dessert table prior to decimation.

Considering the pig, bunnies, chicken, and all those awsome sides, how on earth did you guys find room for dessert?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

What an amazing thing you put together, Varmint. I'm still shaking my head over it. And what an amazing woman Marcella is to have put up with us. Thanks to both of you for making possible one of the most enjoyable weekends I've had in a long, long time.

Others have posted about the food, so I won't go on about it. Everything people have said about the pig, the puppies, the potatoes, greens and the desserts is true, as well as the praise deservedly poured on the libations.

For me, the real highlights were the people, especially the kitchen crew -- as we used to say in the music biz, you guys got chops:

• malawry: always cheerful, always ready to listen, always ready to teach, and completely in love with cooking. What an inspiration.
  • edemuth: always ready to help, and man, can she do a brunoise!
  • maggiethecat: never a bad word for anyone, even the guy who drops another five pounds of taters in front of her, makes the worst excuse for puppy-dog eyes in all creation, and asks her to peel and quarter them.
  • Aurora: I ruin her nails with rancid thyme and heirloom tomato acid, and still she initiates a They Might Be Giants singalong on the way to the airport!
  • guajolote: he pulls a hanger steak out of his surreptitious airline carry-on, and I realize he's going to make the steak/tomato/garlic/basil thing we had worked out on-line a few weeks before. What an honor. What a dish!

This is not meant to overlook some other choice eGullet moments:

• Introducing maggiethecat to Waffle House: her first grits, not to mention hash browns scattered, smothered and covered.
  • Invading the farmer's market on a rainy afternoon and posibly finding the last few ears of fresh corn in the city.
  • Confirming that Whole Foods is every bit as expensive and exasperating in Raleigh as it in Atlanta or Chicago. Organic hot sauce, but no sriracha -- or even real country ham.
  • Speed-thawing three ducks and two capons, then making stock in crock pots.
  • Various random eGulls craning their heads into the kitchen, asking if they can help, and, like joler and Katie Loeb, smiling and pitching in at shredding capon, duck and bunny (and giving a Li'l Varmint a nature lesson along the way)! Or Blondie, mincing jalepenos.
  • Charlie the Mummer and Al Dente belting out Pretzel Logic while we finished off guajolote's excellent post-pickin' whiskey.
  • Watching the faces of the people eating the food we cooked -- and knowing we made something that didn't suck. Is there a better feeling?

You guys -- all of you -- rock. Thanks.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Yeah, I'm sorry I wasn't there for the TMBG sing-a-long. Their music is de rigeur in my household, we especially like singing their music to lighten the mood when we go for hikes or rake leaves together.

And Varmint, see? You're already forgetting the pain of having to pressure-wash the tennis court. You're gonna host another one eventually aren't you? :wink:

Aurora, say the word and I'll make you pups anytime. It was great to meet you and hang out together. Without you I might never have known about Bobbi-Q (sp?), and my life would have been the poorer for it. :laugh:

Dave, you rock too. :wub: I'm so glad you were there. The stew was just a bonus to having you there. The stew was so so good, it says a lot that my regard for you is even higher than my regard for your food. :biggrin:

You guys like They Might be Giants?  Wow.  I knew I should have been there.

Well, not all of us. You should have seen the look on guajolote's face as we belted out Birdhouse in Your Soul. But he very politely withheld comment until we launched into Dead -- in what I thought was pretty decent harmony.

I have no idea what his problem was. :laugh:

Maggie, who along with being a grits virgin, was also a TMBG virgin, lost it at the lines:

I didn't apologize

For when I was eight and I made my younger brother

Have to be my personal slave

Perhaps our Dark Lady has a dark past?

edit: embellishment

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.