• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

Varmint, the butter tart SQUARES dont "suck?" I suppose everyone is wondering what happened to us after driving a zillion miles to get there and then not attending on Saturday? Ok, here's the deal.

Don has an arthritic disease. He has something called ankleosispondelitis, (I have no idea if I've spelled that right, but Varmint's wife will know!), and he takes anti inflamatories regularly for it. It flares up occassionally in various spots on his body. Sometimes he's ok for weeks. When he (tried) to get up on Sat, he was incredibly stiff. So I thought, ok, let him rest for a bit, and if I have to I can drive in and he can rest. (I suspect two days of heavy driving, plus the dampness did him in). About 2:00, I stepped out of the RV to get something, missed the step, and twisted my ankle. My right one. It's still pretty puffy. So I wasn't driving anywhere. I lost Dean's phone number, and I didn't have internet access, so I couldn't let anyone know. But, we were there on Friday, and it was great to see some of the people I've only met on the site.

We are really really sorry that we missed it. We were looking forward to it. I go to rest my ankle now! :angry::angry::sad:

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

dessert.jpg

Dessert table prior to decimation.

Where was the Rainbow Jello? :biggrin:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

What a great event!!

My coworkers keep asking me what I'm laughing at...so much for quietly perusing the Pig-Pickin' posts when I should be working. :rolleyes:

So here I sit laughing and giggling at the pics and stories, and even shedding some tears over the pictures of the food 'cause it looks so darn good. I seriously think the tech minds behind eGullet have to funnel their collective mindpower into figuring out how they can get Smell-o-vision through the internet.

And I spied a true southern coconut layer cake in the background of one of the pics (someone show Zilla that monster for her restaurant's desserts!) and that caramel cake looks truly decadent. I think I have gained a couple pounds just reading this thread.

Thanks for the eGullet event, the blow-by-blow recap and the pics. I have thoroughly and vicariously enjoyed the event and need to go home so I can sleep it off.

The descriptive phrase used to be "It ain't a party til the police and a Kennedy show up."

I think we can officially change that to "It ain't a party till the pig and eGulleteers show up."

Perhaps we should start a "It ain't a party til..." thread to nail this down correctly.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Kids drinking from kegs. The media. The host passed out on the floor. Guajolote and Maggie holding court.

I can't believe I missed this!

:shock:

Noise is music. All else is food.

Varmint, the butter tart SQUARES dont "suck?"  I suppose everyone is wondering what happened to us after driving a zillion miles to get there and then not attending on Saturday?  Ok, here's the deal.

Don has an arthritic disease. He has something called ankleosispondelitis, (I have no idea if I've spelled that right, but Varmint's wife will know!), and he takes anti inflamatories regularly for it.  It flares up occassionally in various spots on his body.  Sometimes he's ok for weeks.  When he (tried) to get up on Sat, he was incredibly stiff.  So I thought, ok, let him rest for a bit, and if I have to I can drive in and he can rest.  (I suspect two days of heavy driving, plus the dampness did him in).  About 2:00, I stepped out of the RV to get something, missed the step, and twisted my ankle.  My right one.  It's still pretty puffy.  So I wasn't driving anywhere.  I lost Dean's phone number, and I didn't have internet access, so I couldn't let anyone  know.  But, we were there on Friday, and it was great to see some of the people I've only met on the site.

We are really really sorry that we missed it.  We were looking forward to it.  I go to rest my ankle now! :angry:  :angry:  :sad:

Oh. My. God. That is SUCH a shame.

Uncalled for, Rachel.  The time then was for the people involved in the design to check.  And the word is grammar.

Just working my way thru the thread, finally.

What many of the folks here seem to be missing is that this is perfectly acceptable grammar for the North Cackalacky dialect of French.

:wink:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Here's the last of the images I took over the weekend. These are all from Sunday, when we eGulleteers took the party over to the fabulous home of Mrs. Dr. Varmint's parents for lunch.

i299.jpg

Varmint reheats BBQ for lunch sammiches.

i324.jpg

The completed VD Stew gets warmed up on the stove. This stuff is incredible, and it's even better after sitting overnight. (I had to have a little on Saturday night after smelling it every time I stopped by the kitchen.)

i297.jpg

Dave the Cook finally slurps back the fruits of his long, tedious labors. It doesn't suck.

i313.jpg

I picked up some buns from a nearby supermarket and we made sandwiches of leftover pork bbq with leftover slaw. I wish all leftovers were this good! Guajolote's pickles made a nice contrast with the sammiches.

i306.jpg

Hjshorter and Maggiethecat fix them some sammiches. I ate two they were so good!

i302.jpg

Varmint is trying to say, "Please, sir, may I have some more VD Stew?" I suspect Aurora's going to have her bowl snatched out from under her if we refuse to refill Varmint's bowl.

Edited by Malawry (log)

Marlene, thanks for telling us what happened. We were all concerned that you hadn't come back, and nobody had any way to reach you. What a shame to have come so far and then to be unable to attend the main event. I am glad you are both safe and I hope you feel better soon. And I'm glad we had a chance to meet, even if only for one night!

Since, by egullet standards, Varmint's pig picking has exceeded "usual bounds" I think enormity is entirely appropriate. And I hope someone does an egullet article. How about Dave the Cook?

I'm not so sure Dave the Cook would be the best choice for a thorough report on the Pig Pickin' as he never left the kitchen until about 4 hours after it had ended... :raz:

=Mark

Marlene, thanks for telling us what happened. We were all concerned that you hadn't come back, and nobody had any way to reach you. What a shame to have come so far and then to be unable to attend the main event. I am glad you are both safe and I hope you feel better soon. And I'm glad we had a chance to meet, even if only for one night!

Well I think Dean had my cell phone number, although I may not have had it on :sad: I can't believe we got all that way and then couldn't attend the main event. Next time, they can carry me there in an ambulance if necessary!

Looks great though folks!

Marlene

I'm not so sure Dave the Cook would be the best choice for a thorough report on the Pig Pickin' as he never left the kitchen until about 4 hours after it had ended... :raz:

Well by the Jeezus, I guess you'll have to do it then. :raz:

I'm not so sure Dave the Cook would be the best choice for a thorough report on the Pig Pickin' as he never left the kitchen until about 4 hours after it had ended...   :raz:

Well by the Jeezus, I guess you'll have to do it then. :raz:

I'm not sure any one person could cover it all. During most of Saturday there were two major groups of eGulleteers, one outside by the tent, and another group occupying the kitchen. There was also a subset of eGer's hangin out by the gas grill on the upstairs porch during the afternoon. This does not even address the field trip to Varmint's outlaws for lunch on Sunday that Rich and I were were not able to attend due to a previous commitment to attend the closing day of the Tiki Bar at St. Simons Island on the Chesapeake that afternoon. :cool:

=Mark

Kids drinking from kegs.  The media.  The host passed out on the floor.  Guajolote and Maggie holding court.

I can't believe I missed this!

:shock:

To be honest Varmint was not passed out there, it was just likely the most comfortable place to hang out after a tiring few days while explaining why poking his penis feels better than poking his eye. :shock:

=Mark

This event was so large that it was physically impossible for any one eGulleteer to have been everywhere cool stuff happened, or to see everything. There has been some discussion among a few attendees of collaborating on a writeup so we can get many perspectives and a lens into all of the happenings. I hope this comes together but it will take some time if it does, so have patience. Some people don't even seem to be home yet, or if they have arrived at home they haven't had time to check in here.

As a consolation prize for not being able to attend the main event, we stopped in Tysons Corners at the mall. We parked the rig in the loading dock :biggrin: , and I sat with my foot propped up in bed, while hubby went int to pick me up an All clad French roaster and two all clad stainless, non stick frying pans.

Life is good :biggrin:

Marlene