• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

I wish I knew how to thank the extended Varmint family for turning over their homes (and all of their free time) to a bunch of relative strangers for the weekend. It was a truly wonderful experience: the camaraderie, the food, the joy. Unreal. The first taste of the pig right off the grill, so many cooks working in a confined space with total cooperation and fantastic results, Rochelle’s hush puppies, grits fried in duck fat with red-eye gravy, Katie's Slippery Slopes and limoncello, Dave the Cook’s deapan asides...

Thanks, Varmints :wub:

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

Varmint -

Every time I see the photos of your L'il Varmints, I get kinda choked up. My dad was a great and lavish host, and I remember his parties so fondly.

You may not realize it now, with all the hullabaloo and everything, but in addition to giving two continents a fabulous and awesome time, you have also given your children a wonderful memory. And a great legacy, too, of generosity, hospitality, camaraderie, friendship, caring.

I commented on these things back several pages ago, but it quickly got buried, so I want to make mention of it again.

I especially loved the photo of the Li'l Varmints helping out with the Nanner Puddin'.

They'll tell this story the rest of their lives.... "And I remember this one time when my daddy had this great Pig Pickin' and people came from all over everywhere and even England and Canada and we kids helped..."

And who knows...maybe the story will go... "And every October, my daddy gave these great Pig Pickin's, and people came from all over everywhere and we kids helped and that's why I'm continuing the tradition...."

Or, maybe more realistically, "And every other year, in October, my daddy gave these great Pig Pickin's, and...."

I'm thinking, Varmint, that two years from now, you might be ready to try it again.

Edit: PS - Everything go okay with the hotel????

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Careful there Jaymes, those are adorable children, but think of poor Mrs. Varmint and all she put up with over the past 3 days! The story may sound more like "and then, every October after they put Nana Cella into the white jacket and took her to the Home for the Non-Pork-Eating Criminally Insane ... :blink:

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

Edit: PS - Everything go okay with the hotel????

Jaymes:

The hotel was lovely - thank you for all the hard work on the arrangements. It was a bargain, and quite comfortable. They were nothing but accomodating.

There were several mentions of how much you were missed over the course of the weekend. Maggie, Aurora, Heather, Rochelle and I were all quite sad that you couldn't make it. There was some excellent chick bonding happening this weekend, and you woulda loved it... :sad:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Varmint -

Every time I see the photos of your L'il Varmints, I get kinda choked up.  My dad was a great and lavish host, and I remember his parties so fondly.

You may not realize it now, with all the hullabaloo and everything, but in addition to giving two continents a fabulous and awesome time, you have also given your children a wonderful memory.  And a great legacy, too, of generosity, hospitality, camaraderie, friendship, caring.

I commented on these things back several pages ago, but it quickly got buried, so I want to make mention of it again.

I especially loved the photo of the Li'l Varmints helping out with the Nanner Puddin'.

They'll tell this story the rest of their lives.... "And I remember this one time when my daddy had this great Pig Pickin' and people came from all over everywhere and even England and Canada and we kids helped..."

And who knows...maybe the story will go... "And every October, my daddy gave these great Pig Pickin's, and people came from all over everywhere and we kids helped and that's why I'm continuing the tradition...."

Or, maybe more realistically, "And every other year, in October, my daddy gave these great Pig Pickin's, and...."

I'm thinking, Varmint, that two years from now, you might be ready to try it again.

Edit:  PS - Everything go okay with the hotel????

That's very kind, Jaymes. I will say that when I fed my children some leftover chicken, one responded, "Daddy, do we have to eat meat with every meal???"

Anyhow, it was a very fun but very tiring event. I'm not sure that I'll have the energy to do it again, however. I think I'd need a major corporate sponsor to underwrite it, too!!! Yeah, it was a lot more expensive than I anticipated, but it was worth it. I and my family will have very fond memories for years to come. Now if someone else wants to host it and get everything ready, I'll be happy to cook their pig!!!!

I and others have sung her praises a number of times, but it bears repeating: Cella is an absolutely amazing woman. Here's a woman who doesn't eat red meat, she doesn't care for large parties or making small talk, and she has 4 little children to take care of. Not once did she complain. Not once did she nag. She supported this effort wholeheartedly, and I can't thank her enough. All this after forcing her to eat 3 times as much as she's used to in New York. I'm a lucky man.

Some other thanks, and I'm sure I'll forget some:

Wade Cole and Dallas Merritt for providing the most excellent pork.

Dave the Cook for his VD Stew, mastery of the kitchen, and supplier of tons of cool stuff (including purchasing even more food).

Heather and Scott Shorter for the supply of a nearly endless supply of paperware, sodas, and cool music. Extra kudows to Scott for watching the pit.

=Mark and his bro Rich for being excellent firemasters and providing some great side dishes.

Maggiethecat for her total support and assistance throughout the weekend.

Malawry for the hush puppies, the jams, the slaw, the banana pudding, and for being a great egg.

Edemuth for ditching her real family to provide tons of support in the kitchen.

Aurora for her potato peeling, general prep work, and stories of talking grills.

Guajalote for his pickles (including pickled heirloom okra), his steak and candied tomato dish, and for playing with my kids (that goes to a lot of other people, too!!!).

KatieLoeb for the limoncello and other great concoctions.

Mummer for his musical talent and wit.

Marlene and Don for the butter squares and the beer!

Al Dente for watching the pig and Dueling Banjos.

Jaymes for the hotel booking.

And thanks to everyone else who came from so far, who brought food and drink, and, last, but not least, to the Academy. I am humbled.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Careful there Jaymes, those are adorable children, but think of poor Mrs. Varmint and all she put up with over the past 3 days!  The story may sound more like "and then, every October after they put Nana Cella into the white jacket and took her to the Home for the Non-Pork-Eating Criminally Insane ... :blink:

Yeah, but I'll bet it's like birthin' babies.

The pain kinda fades, but the joy lingers.

And while I am absolutely positive that no one in the Varmint den (with the exception of the kids) thinks now that they'll EVER do that again....

If I were a bettin' woman -- which I am -- I'd bet that about two years from now, on some steamy Carolina summer evening, when the sun is setting, and it's cool down in the hollers, and the shadows grow long across the tennis court, Varmint will inhale the aroma of a neighbor's cookout, and he'll get to thinking...

And the pig of his memory will start calling.

And before you know it, the smoke will rise again.

And this time, I'll be ready.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

That's very kind, Jaymes.  I will say that when I fed my children some leftover chicken, one responded, "Daddy, do we have to eat meat with every meal???"

The best thing about the Little Vermin is that they are just about the most well-behaved kids I have ever run across. (Of course, I guess electro-shock therapy will get anyone's attention).

If I were a bettin' woman -- which I am -- I'd bet that about two years from now, on some steamy Carolina summer evening, when the sun is setting, and it's cool down in the hollers, and the shadows grow long across the tennis court, Varmint will inhale the aroma of a neighbor's cookout, and he'll get to thinking...

And the pig of his memory will start calling.

And before you know it, the smoke will rise again.

And this time, I'll be ready.

:biggrin:

Word, Jaymes. Word.

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Here's another one wishing i could be there. if it is anything like the Bobolink pig-roast it is a world of fun. Enjoy!

Was quite a bit like Bobolink with notable differences:

Pigstockpalooza(PSPLZ) was 48 hrs long instead of 3.

Bobolink had better weather.

PSPLZ had live music.

mummer1.jpg

Mummer tinkles the keys

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

reporter.jpg

Reporter Susan from local paper (Name 'O paper?) interviews eGulleteers (Names?)

Edited by =Mark (log)

=Mark

That Knob Creek was GOOOOOD.

The Guard Pigs fell down on the job whilst I was inside shredding all manner of critters for the VD Stew. By the time I got back outside, alas, no more Knob Creek to be found :shock:

My fave drink of the weekend was Katie's limoncello.  Sweeeet!

Gosh...thanks Heather! :blush: I'll post a recipe in the archives as soon as I can. It's pretty easy to do.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

lilush.jpg

Honestly did not see this happening in the foreground of a shot I was taking of the rest of the kids playing on the tennis court. This is an enlargement of that part of the picture...

=Mark

reporter.jpg

Reporter Susan from kocal paper (Name 'O paper?) interviews eGulleteers (Names?)

That's HungryChris and madams77 from Connecticut. They brought the Two Buck Chuck (which I never got around to sample :sad: ). The reporter is Susan Houston from the Raleigh News & Observer. I think she was sweet on =Mark. :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

My fave drink of the weekend was Katie's limoncello.  Sweeeet!

Gosh...thanks Heather! :blush: I'll post a recipe in the archives as soon as I can. It's pretty easy to do.

Those Slippery Slopes were mighty tasty too, Katie. Can you post that as well? Thanks!

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

Katie, I really liked the dark and stormys, too. You were our beverage goddess this weekend, thanks so much for keeping the booze flowing. I look forward to your recipes, and plan to make some limoncello this winter for decanting when I need a sip of sunshine.

Varmint, you oughta post your "sweet tea" rum infusion technique too. That was some good stuff. (Varmint kept pushing liquor on me Friday night, and it was really easy to oblige when the alcohol was as tasty as the food!)

lilush.jpg

Honestly did not see this happening in the foreground of a shot I was taking of the rest of the kids playing on the tennis court.  This is an enlargement of that part of the picture...

Tee hee, that's the son of one of my law partners. I've forwarded this photo to every attorney in the firm.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites