• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

Wow, it looks like you guys had an awsome time. The pictures are fabulous.

Varmint, what do plan on doing for an encore? :smile:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Websters:

Main Entry: tit·ter

Pronunciation: 'ti-t&r

Function: intransitive verb

Etymology: imitative

Date: circa 1619

: to laugh in a nervous, affected, or partly suppressed manner : GIGGLE, SNICKER

- titter noun

ok, so elyse compressed a snicker/giggle?

didn't know she had such composure.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I just did a quick calculation, and we had approximately 110 people attend. We had the following states/countries represented:

North Carolina

Virginia

Maryland

Georgia

Pennsylvania

New Jersey

New York

Connecticut

Maine

Illinois

California

South Carolina

West Virginia

United States

Canada

England

Scotland

There will be no encore in the foreseeable future. I am now returning to my life as a dad, husband, and attorney (with an occasional post or two here on eGullet).

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Ian is having pork for breakfast.  :smile:

Ian is just about the most adorable child I've ever seen. :wub:

Varmint, if you do eat that bread pudding, heat it up first - it's even better that way. :rolleyes:

Did Al Dente stay for the pig on Sat.?? Because I didn't get to meet him and there were a few others I was sorry to miss also.

The pork was fabulous, but my friend Reid and I ate fish for dinner last night - phew, I think I'm laying off the bbq for a while now.

Varmint, I expect we will be seeing an e-gullet commentary on the food at the State Fair this week? I understand they are serving a deep-fried cheeseburger on a stick. :wacko:

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

Jo, you'll have to do that commentary on the State Fair for me. I'm hoping our kids don't remember that the Fair is coming to town again.

You'll find pictures of Al Dente posted above. He was indeed here on Saturday, lusting after Malawry's hush puppies. This was the day after he lusted after the raw pig. He's a lustful man, indeed, but a good man. And he did bring and play a CD with "Dueling Banjos" on it. I attempted a nice jig.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Ugh! No state fair for me this year either. In fact, I'm de-toxing this week - nothing but fresh fruits and veggies and lots of water. I feel like someone might pit-cook me before long if I keep this behavior up!!!

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

And he did bring and play a CD with "Dueling Banjos" on it.

for some reason, i have this picture in my mind: 4:30 am. 4 or 5 drunk/stoned/full egulleteers sitting around on lawn chairs, with dueling banjos blasting out of the stereo, through the windows, on repeat for hours.

for some reason, i have this picture in my mind: 4:30 am. 4 or 5 drunk/stoned/full egulleteers sitting around on lawn chairs, with dueling banjos blasting out of the stereo, through the windows, on repeat for hours.

It was earlier in the evening, but your vision isn't too far off. :laugh:

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

More photographic hijinks:

i300.jpg

We ate a lot besides straightforward pig, and the amount of prep work that went into these other dishes was substantial. Here, Guajolote spatches some birds for the smoker.

i322.jpg

And there they are, cooking away.

i295.jpg

We got some pork butts going too. Everybody needs more butt in their lives.

i307.jpg

Maggiethecat and Aurora work on peeling and cutting some North Carolina BBQ potatoes. I didn't see what-all Varmint threw into the pot but I know a large quantity of Texas Pete was involved.

i310.jpg

Another snapshot of the hardworking sous-chef L'il Varmint crew, going bananas on the pudding. They're so dedicated, they came directly to the kitchen in the morning without bothering to change out of their PJs.

i298.jpg

Dave the Cook patiently washing yet another bird for the VD Stew. This guy is my hero. He spent the entire day Saturday making the VD Stew, coming outside only briefly to regard the picking before getting back to work. By the way, Maggiethecat made the wonderful aprons you see in some of these images. Dave has one on in this image, Maggie's wearing one in the American Gothic image, and she gave me a little piggy one that you can see in the pic where I'm frying hush puppies. A lot of people thought my apron was a skirt because it was a little longer than the skirt I was wearing. Awesome aprons, thanks Maggie! *mwah*

i316.jpg

Varmint got most of the pig off the smoker and started chopping it. Enterprising individuals (myself included) snuck behind him to pick at the carcass directly. Why wait?

i296.jpg

And there he goes, whaling on the meat with the cleaver. I was busy with the hush puppies at this point, so Guajolote brought me a piece of the crispy crispy skin. I crunched out and christened this treat "Pork Brittle." I sent Varmint some puppies in thanks.

i294.jpg

I didn't get to the buffet until a lot of it had been picked over. Here's some of the smoky chicken and BBQ. There was a lot more where these came from!

i311.jpg

Mmm, dessert. The banana pudding is front and center. Most of the cakes and pies came from members of the extended Varmint clan. My favorite was the caramel cake.

i312.jpg

The desserts looked good enough for two images.

That's all I have from Friday and Saturday. Sunday pics to come soon...

It was earlier in the evening, but you're vision isn't too far off. :laugh:

Actually, it was quite funny how it was set up. Al Dente was waiting for me to come out of the house and had the CD player's remote in hand. As soon as I arrived at the table, the banjo playing started. The man is surprisingly quiet, but his sense of humor is priceless.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

There will be no encore in the foreseeable future.  I am now returning to my life as a dad, husband, and attorney (with an occasional post or two here on eGullet).

You mean you haven't dedicated your life to the perfect pig pickin? For shame. :laugh::raz:

Or is it that now you have attained perfect pig pickin-ness you can go back to serious pursuits?

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

There will be no encore in the foreseeable future.  I am now returning to my life as a dad, husband, and attorney (with an occasional post or two here on eGullet).

You mean you have dedicated your life to the perfect pig pickin? For shame. :laugh::raz:

I have attained perfection. What more is there to do?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

The extended Varmint clan included 1 mother-in-law, 1 father-in-law, 2 sisters-in-law, 1 husband of sister-in-law, one former husband of sister-in-law, 1 boyfriend of sister-in-law, 1 nephew, 4 L'il Varmints, Mrs. Varmint's godmother, 1 godmother of L'il Varmint #3.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Did their nametags identify them by their relationship to Varmit? E.g., "Everett (Lil Varmit #3)" "Barbara (Mrs. Dr. Varmit's Mother)"

Further, is it Mrs. Dr. or Dr. Mrs.? Both are appropriate I guess b/c you have a Ph.D. and she has an M.D., but I've been wondering about this for days.