• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

So, given the enormity of the Pig Pickin', and given that we now all understand the term "enormity" in all its ambiguous glory, who is going to volunteer to write the ultimate Pig Pickin' post-mortem for distribution to the world?

Slated for an eGCI class by Varmint in November!

Gerhard Groenewald

www.mesamis.co.za

Wilderness

Hello! Actually (referring to previous photo) I DID know what to do with the bunny, in fact, I beleive I was primary bunny-picker - I was merely illustrating the position of the ears for Katie. I thought maybe we'd rent "Watership Downs and Babe" later on. :blink:

We really enjoyed the party Varmint, thanks so much for having us. As you may have heard, I am nursing a bad back these days and so we had to kind of make it an early night. In fact, my label used to just read "Jo's" until I started on the steroids and now I'm "Jumpin' Jo", (just kidding).

Jason Jones WAS featured in the business section of today's Greensboro News and Record. I will try to find the link to the article and pass it on to you all - and of course I'll notify you when he shows up in Bon Appetit.

I did pick up the Raleigh paper on the way out of town this morning, but didn't see anything on the event, so please let us know when it prints.

It was great meeting everyone. Mummer, thanks for the fabulous entertainment. and =Mark - those mushrooms were great.

It's nice to be able to put names with faces...hope to do it again soon! :smile:

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

All is quiet on the Varmint front. Normalcy has returned. My wife still loves me. No one got hurt.

After 3 days of eating, cooking, eating, cooking and a bit of drinking, I now ask myself, what am I going to make for dinner???

Thanks to everyone for their support. I'm not sure I'll ever get the energy up to do the eGCI, but we'll see.

It was a blast, but I'm tired now. Plus, I have to pressure wash the grease off the tennis court. :raz::wacko:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Plus, I have to pressure wash the grease off the tennis court.  :raz:  :wacko:

:laugh:

Now THAT'S a party.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Please, all you lucky people who were there, tell us all about it when you get home.  :biggrin:  We unluckies want to know EVERYTHING, what you thought of all the food, who did what with/to whom, everything.  :raz: Please.

That's right. All the gossip - with pics. :biggrin:

It's probably just wishful thinking to expect anything juicy (other than the pork :raz: ). It has been my experience meeting other eGulleteers live that this bunch, for all our talk, would make a boy scout meeting look like an orgy.

Oh, maybe that's a bad analogy. But you know what I mean. eGullet is good folks. Mostly. :raz::wub::wub:

Edit: Oh. My. God. Did I really gush like that? :blush: I apologize to all eGulleteers for making everyone sound like Little Goodie Two-Shoes. I suppose that in our hearts, some of us lust for more than just food and drink. After meeting some others, and seeing pix, I know I do. :laugh: (Don't worry, HWOE, I'll always love you. Best. :laugh::laugh: )

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

It's probably just wishful thinking to expect anything juicy (other than the pork  :raz: ).  It has been my experience meeting other eGulleteers live that this bunch, for all our talk, would make a boy scout meeting look like an orgy.

Oh, maybe that's a bad analogy.  But you know what I mean.  eGullet is good folks.  Mostly.  :raz::wub:    :wub:

Besides tommy was not there was he? :biggrin::wink:

We made it home safe and sound. The only food in the house in the 2 pounds of pork we brought home with us. :blink: Guess I know what's for dinner.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to the fabulous Varmint and Dr Mrs Varmint for your awesome hospitality, and for allowing our kids to rampage in your house. We had a wonderful time.

Some highlights:

The pig. BEST. PORK. EVER.

Malawry's hushpuppies. :wub:

Hanging out on Friday night, eating drinking and talking.

Al Dente's baboon story. Funny in print, but absolutely hysterical coming from the man himself.

"Shaky Elephant." :laugh:

Meeting the incomparable Dave the Cook, and eating the f***ing incredible VD stew he made. I cannot think of a better use for bunny.

Guajolote's coffee. :wub:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

What's with the paper on the pecan pie?  How was it?  Who made it?  I am experiencing pieness envy.

Best line in the whole thread, and nobody else responded to it?

Well, I appreciated it, Elyse. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I thank you. (I tittered myself). Suzanne liked it too!

Still want to hear about the pies, guys!

Still want to hear about the pies, guys!

The pies were OK, elyse, but not like yours, of course!

The dessert highlights were really the coconut and caramel cakes made by my sister-in-law. She also made a kick-ass raspberry cheesecake. Of course, she made 3 apple pies, 2 chocolate bourbon pecan pies, and 2 lemon chess pies. Weebl would have been proud.

Joler and Weka both made fantastic bread puddings. I, the dumb ass that I am, forgot to get Joler's bread pudding out on the dessert table. However, that wasn't totally unintentional, as it's now mine!!!!! :wub:

Of course, the absolute best dessert was the nanner puddin' that 3 of my children taught Malawry how to make. :wink::raz:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

And, I think Mrs. Dr. Varmint deserves about 40 bazillion cheers for going along with this!

The woman is indeed a saint -- particularly when you consider she doesn't even eat pork or any other red meat.

I think I need to eat a salad now.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I am home and safe, and so so sorry the weekend is over.

Edemuth is also home safely after driving back to town very very late last night, for those of you who are concerned.

I am working on organizing my images from this event. Here's some more food-oriented images for now:

i323.jpg

Here are the heirloom tomatoes we picked up at the Raleigh farm market on Friday afternoon. Some of them went into the VD Stew, others went into Guajolote's special appetizer.

i321.jpg

This is how they looked after Guajolote sliced them. Mmmmm.

i301.jpg

Here are some of the non-tomato purchases from the market. Corn, garlic, lots of apples, peppers, etc etc. Good stuff.

i308.jpg

=Mark regards the cooker he helped to get going.

i319.jpg

=Mark's cool brother Rich works the fire. As a fellow L'academie alum and brother to a notorious chile-head, this guy is not afraid of fire.

i303.jpg

You can't really tell, but Mummer, Guajolote and Al Dente are carrying a raw brined pig.

i315.jpg

The raw pig sits by the cooker while we figure out the best approach.

i293.jpg

Al Dente can't resist getting up close and personal.

i320.jpg

=Mark, Guajolote et al shift the pig into position...

i305.jpg

...and they lift it to the grill.

i318.jpg

The raw pig is on the grill. We feel like we've accomplished something.

i309.jpg

Mummer sings a few lullabies to the pig as we wish it a restful, slow-cooking, long night.

i314.jpg

At 7am I woke up, wandered out to the pig, and saw this luscious sight. :wub:

Of course, the absolute best dessert was the nanner puddin' that 3 of my children taught Malawry how to make.  :wink:  :raz:

Those kids can school me any time. I'm a big fan of the L'il Varmints. Not to mention their dad and especially their mom. :biggrin: What a cool family.

I dropped Katie off in Philly around 9:30 and got home a little after 10.

More later, but I salute the Varmint family for their Southern hospitality and the not too many cooks for their excellent broths.

We rocked!!!

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Websters:

Main Entry: tit·ter

Pronunciation: 'ti-t&r

Function: intransitive verb

Etymology: imitative

Date: circa 1619

: to laugh in a nervous, affected, or partly suppressed manner : GIGGLE, SNICKER

- titter noun

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"