• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

Here's another one wishing i could be there. if it is anything like the Bobolink pig-roast it is a world of fun. Enjoy!

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

It's not sheetrock, it's a piece of plywood.

Varmint is outside right now pickin' and choppin' and adding vinegar. It's tasting mighty good. Meanwhile, back in the kitchen, Maggie has just served up the leftover grits that were broiled with the remaining duck fat. She cut it in squares and served it up with the leftover red eye gravy.

Dean is currently in the kitchen interpreting one of Dave the Cook's recipes. Weka is his assistant.

I had a rib, and I'm off to see about getting one or two more.

We're having a wonderful time.

Today is a day that will live in pigfamy.

How long have you been waiting to use that line? :laugh:

WEBCAM! WEBCAM! WEBCAM! WEBCAM! WEBCAM!

Someone get Vengroff to lead the tech support team...

Scott is taking a well deserved nap right now, but the network is set up and Tarka is here with the webcam so you will get some live action later on. :smile:

Well?

It's not sheetrock, it's a piece of plywood.

Varmint is outside right now pickin' and choppin' and adding vinegar.  It's tasting mighty good.  Meanwhile, back in the kitchen, Maggie has just served up the leftover grits that were broiled with the remaining duck fat.  She cut it in squares and served it up with the leftover red eye gravy.

Dean is currently in the kitchen interpreting one of Dave the Cook's recipes.  Weka is his assistant.

I had a rib, and I'm off to see about getting one or two more.

We're having a wonderful time.

:smile: *big wave* to everyone! :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Web cam never got hooked up. Sorry about that y'all.

The party continues, but I do not. I'm going to take a nap. Dessert has been eaten and Dave's VD stew isn't done yet!!! Looks like that'll be the late night staff meal tonight.

I'll post pictures later. Oh, and yes, it was fun!!! And everyone who came is great.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Wow.

This has been just awesome.

And, Varmint, I especially loved the photo of the Li'l Varmints helping out with the Nanner Puddin'.

You may not realize it, but you have given them an incomparable memory. They'll tell this story the rest of their lives.... "And I remember this one time when my daddy had this great Pig Pickin' and people came from all over everywhere and we kids helped..."

And who knows...maybe the story will go... "And every October, my daddy gave these great Pig Pickin's, and people came from all over everywhere and we kids helped and that's why I'm continuing the tradition...."

Or maybe not.

:laugh:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Too bad about the webcam, but please please please keep the reports and pix coming.

BTW, while you folks were lollygagging and partying, up here in Yankeeland (or Soxland, depending :raz: ) we were working hard: weighing, taking temperatures, examining, and having some deeply and seriously scientific discussions of burger criteria. Scroll down for reports on the first meeting of the Burger Club.

He's the one biting his tongue in anticipation, I mean concentration, as they prepare to turn the pig. Or maybe he's sticking his tongue out at it. Can't tell which.

How did Dean2 and Maggie manage to keep such straight faces? That must have been one fast shot!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

He's the one biting his tongue in anticipation, I mean concentration, as they prepare to turn the pig.  Or maybe he's sticking his tongue out at  it.  Can't tell which.

How did Dean2 and Maggie manage to keep such straight faces?  That must have been one fast shot!

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Ah! Thanks!

Varmint, you look great. Hope you're finished with the diet. You don't look like you need to be on one.

It's not a diet, it's a change of eating habits! :wink:

Varmint's the one wearing a light grey t-shirt with brown hair, behind the pig. Scott is in the green t-shirt. I can't remember who else is in that photo.

Why aren't any of the party-goers wearing their Pig Pickin' Tee Shirts???

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

It be an awesome event! Thankfully they invited us couple of Yankees to teach them how to do the pig...

We are looking forward to a Brunswick Stew breakfast Sunday morning. They expect it will be done by then...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

You guys must be having so much fun. :sad:

Don't be sad... :smile:

In fact we are. At least I'll speak for myself. After the pig orgy I fell asleep and took a serious power nap. I'm now up and doing my duties as Celebrity Guest Bartender. I'm about to mix up our second pitcher of Dark n' Stormies. YUM!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

You guys must be having so much fun.  :sad:

:smile: We'll always have New Jersey :smile:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I don't know any of you well, but it looks like you had a fab time. Wish I could have been there.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"