• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

My catch phrase was, "What's the opposite of 'Eureka'"?

:wink:

If "Eureka!" means "I have found it!", then perhaps what we need here is: "Oh (filthy language of your choice), where is it??!!"

Yes?

:biggrin:

(Edited to close the quote.)

Edited by Lady T (log)

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

I may have come up with a viable alternative to the tub brining: Buy one of those cheapo kiddie pools, put it in the storage shed (locked) with lots of icy brine.  How's that sound?

By the way, I'm doing just a pure saline brine -- no other flavors, as I want the wood and the sauce to carry the day.

Sounds like you're going to have a lot of creepy crawlies on your pig if you do that. I'd make sure to tarp it and duct tape the tarp on the pool if you are going to go that route.

OK - I've made arrangements to procure a jug of Ginger Beer tomorrow evening from the Senegalese restaurant in West Philly that I frequent. It's coming with me to mix up all sorts of drinks. If anyone wants to have Ginger Sidecars, bring along some Cointreau and some brandy. If you want Lemon-Ginger Cosmos bring some Citron. (We should probably save the limoncello to have by itself) Maggie's got the bourbon covered so we're good to go for a bar that won't take up too much of Varmint's space and I suspect won't leave leftovers for him to bother with after the fact.

Varmint - is this all OK with you if I promise not to serve anyone I would normally flag? :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I was thinking (i know, dangerous). There should be a ritual for the placing of the piggy upon the grates. How can we handle this? There should be some sort of chanting, some kind of sacrifice, a slice of bacon for each supplicant...

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Bath tub is the way to go. I wouldn't try light plastic.

There must be a two or three hundred pound enameled cast iron bathtub sitting around in someone's yard you can haul off for free.  :biggrin:

I must agree. Isn't there some danger of a plasticky taste coming through with all that salt? Perhaps I'm just being over-cautious.

Amyway, my nipples expode with delight thinking about this pig!

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Amyway, my nipples expode with delight thinking about this pig!

Too much information!!!!

I'll do the bathtub. Do y'all mind if I don't clean it out first -- I figured it might add more flavor that way. :wink::raz::wacko:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

OK - I've made arrangements to procure a jug of Ginger Beer tomorrow evening from the Senegalese restaurant in West Philly that I frequent.  It's coming with me to mix up all sorts of drinks.  If anyone wants to have Ginger Sidecars, bring along some Cointreau and some brandy.  If you want Lemon-Ginger Cosmos bring some Citron.  (We should probably save the limoncello to have by itself) Maggie's got the bourbon covered so we're good to go for a bar that won't take up too much of Varmint's space and I suspect won't leave leftovers for him to bother with after the fact.

Varmint - is this all OK with you if I promise not to serve anyone I would normally flag?  :biggrin:

Yup!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Ooooooh, such words of temptation!  :shock:

I'm still considering a venture down the road by myself.  Shifts might be easily swapped.

:angry:

Yes, yes, yes!!!! Katie needs some help behind the bar, and we need an Alaska/Ohio representative.

C'mon, beans, what type of peer pressure gets to you???

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Ooooooh, such words of temptation!  :shock:

I'm still considering a venture down the road by myself.  Shifts might be easily swapped.

:angry:

C'mon Beans! Swap those shifts! It'll be SO much fun! Jump in the car and get thee to North Cackalacky for the fun and games Chez Varmint. You can give me bartending pointers and we can come up with all manner of dangerous substances with whatever we've been given to work with. It'll be RIGHTEOUS :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

OK - I've made arrangements to procure a jug of Ginger Beer tomorrow evening from the Senegalese restaurant in West Philly that I frequent.

I'll bring a bottle of Goslings Black Rum so we can have "Dark & Stormy Nights."

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I was thinking (i know, dangerous). There should be a ritual for the placing of the piggy upon the grates. How can we handle this? There should be some sort of chanting, some kind of sacrifice, a slice of bacon for each supplicant...

gotoflip.jpg

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Well, I just purchased 4 shoulders that were on sale -- 26 pounds of meat for 21 bucks!! That's for the "western" or "Lexington" style barbecue. I'm now going to sanitize the bath -- er, "brining" -- tub and then head out to an area outside of Four Oaks, NC to pick up the pig. If you don't hear back from me by tonight, please send the Johnston County Sheriff to look for me!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Sweet Jesus, the temptation.

Opened the paper this morning to see a full page ad . . . $84 from Wichita to Raleigh/Durham on AirTran.

Of course, my wife is out of town this weekend, so I'm handling the kids <grit teeth>. No last minute plane flights for me. Crap.

Maybe I'll do up some Lexington-style in y'all's honor.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

I know of your temptation, Chad. I have seen similar deals and thought about it. I just can't do it due to other commitments. Damn! I think I will smoke a pork butt this weekend in commemoration of the pig pickin' and continue to lurk here for vicarious experiences. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Varmint... I do hope you will have pictures, starting with the brining process, for those of us stuck in the hinterlands. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose