• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

I am insanely jealous of all the folks who will be dining at Chez Varmint this weekend. Spouseperson and I had a prior commitment, and I've tried my best to wriggle out of it, but alas it is not to be (because I'm supplying some of the food). It's a wine tasting party, and those are usually a lot of fun, but it pales into nothingness compared to eating pit cooked whole hog and smoked bunny. One question for Lord Varmint:

We will need some help on the pit crew, just to make sure everyone gets enough sleep.  The downside of such a position is that we really can't drink that much on Friday.

Where in the hell is that written down? That's sure not the way we used to do it in Texas :laugh:.

Lots and lots of pictures, please. Y'all enjoy now, hear?

THW

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

I am insanely jealous of all the folks who will be dining at Chez Varmint this weekend.  Spouseperson and I had a prior commitment, and I've tried my best to wriggle out of it, but alas it is not to be (because I'm supplying some of the food).  It's a wine tasting party, and those are usually a lot of fun, but it pales into nothingness compared to eating pit cooked whole hog and smoked bunny.  One question for Lord Varmint:
We will need some help on the pit crew, just to make sure everyone gets enough sleep.  The downside of such a position is that we really can't drink that much on Friday.

Where in the hell is that written down? That's sure not the way we used to do it in Texas :laugh:.

THW

OK, let me restate that: "I can't drink that much on Friday." I need to be at my functional best on Saturday, right???

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I am insanely jealous of all the folks who will be dining at Chez Varmint this weekend.  Spouseperson and I had a prior commitment, and I've tried my best to wriggle out of it, but alas it is not to be (because I'm supplying some of the food).  It's a wine tasting party, and those are usually a lot of fun, but it pales into nothingness compared to eating pit cooked whole hog and smoked bunny.  One question for Lord Varmint:

THW

OK, let me restate that: "I can't drink that much on Friday." I need to be at my functional best on Saturday, right???

Nah, you just have to be sober enough to sign your house over as bond when they cart us all off to jail as drunk and disorderly.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

:hmmm: It ain't a party until somebody gets arrested.

When Nero, Fritz and I were walking up to Guajolote's house for the Paellapalooza this July, there were already three squads parked outside. Said Nero: "Shit, we're on time, and it looks as if the party really got started without us!"

(Chicago's finest were investigating some other household.)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Real Southerners come with liquor.  :wink:

So do real Northerners. I'll tote some bourbon from Chicago.

Maggie:

I'll stop and pick up some Ginger Beer from the Jamaican folks down the street and some Bitter Lemon and mix up some Slippery Slopes! trink02.gif

Anyone who wants to stock the bar should bring it on. I'm certain we can do better than "Hairy Buffalo Punch" by the time this creative crowd is through. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Oh yes - and the Limoncello will be bottled this evening, so we can always add that to the Ginger Beer and Absolut and have Lemon-Ginger Cosmos!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I'm so upset we're going to miss this shindig, it sounds like it'll be a great time. Part of our responsibilities was my making the Banana Pudding on Friday. I hope someone will volunteer to pick up the slack. Here's the recipe. Varmint was going to pick up the bananas ahead of time so they'd have a few days to ripen. Did you do that already, Dean?

Also, I'm hoping someone from the NYC area would be willing to bring up my t-shirts & mugs (I had them shipped to Varmint's along with the extra shirts to sell at the party).

In addition, anyone passing through our neck of the woods either heading down or on your way back home (Marlene?) should feel free to drop us a note and we can get together for lunch or dinner around here.

Rachel :sad:

702.gif

Sending get well soon vibes to Jason's mom. Sorry you won't be able to make it, but I'm certain she'll feel better with you two around...

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

If Varmint's got a bowl that big (can't put it in aluminum), and he got the bananas, I'm sure we can get it made.

I have a couple of things that the nanner puddin' can go into. Bananas will be purchased tonight. They'll be ripe enough for Friday.

I fear for my wife's sanity . . . . :unsure:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I was just about to cancel our hotel reservation. We got the 67.00 per night rate a while ago (king, non-smoking, down & out room (because we were bringing our dogs). I think that rate might be sold out, if someone wants it, let me know before 6 PM today and I'll see if I can just switch the name on the res.

I fear for my wife's sanity . . . . :unsure:

Jeez, Dean, if you were really concerned about your wife's sanity, you'd have left her at the altar :raz:. There would have been a simple note,

"Honey, I know you don't understand, but many years from now you'll have a horrible nightmare about a whole, dead pig in your bathtub and think to yourself, 'so that's how it would have turned out.' Believe me, it's better this way. Love, Varmint"

:biggrin::biggrin:

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

I'll be happy to make the banana pudding, Rachel... but I'm sorry you and Jason won't be able to come. I was very much looking forward to meeting you both. We'll all drink to your mother's health this weekend, and at that rate she'll most certainly get well. :biggrin: Best wishes!

Erin

After Varmint has been drinking some, ask him to show you his "trick with the cartilage-free nose."

You had to bring that up, eh Zeb????

Weather forecasts are wildly conflicting. However, expect the temperature to hit a high of about 72 and a low of about 57. Chances of precipitation range from 20% to 60%. You gotta love those forecasts! On the other hand, chances of no rain range from 80% to 40%!!!! :wacko:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I may have come up with a viable alternative to the tub brining: Buy one of those cheapo kiddie pools, put it in the storage shed (locked) with lots of icy brine. How's that sound?

By the way, I'm doing just a pure saline brine -- no other flavors, as I want the wood and the sauce to carry the day.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I may have come up with a viable alternative to the tub brining: Buy one of those cheapo kiddie pools, put it in the storage shed (locked) with lots of icy brine.  How's that sound?

By the way, I'm doing just a pure saline brine -- no other flavors, as I want the wood and the sauce to carry the day.

As long as it's deep enough, why not? I imagine the salt will eventually do a number on the vinyl, but you ought to be good for at least one pig.

I've got a remote transmitter temperature probe, so we can set an alarm to go off if the brine gets too warm. You can even clip the receiver to your shirt pocket (let me know if you need a protector; I've got plenty) and call yourself a Smug Scientific Bastard for the day.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

You can even clip the receiver to your shirt pocket (let me know if you need a protector; I've got plenty) and call yourself a Smug Scientific Bastard for the day.

Dave, I have a Ph.D. in Molecular and Cellular Pathology. I am a Smug Scientist Bastard -- with credentials!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

You can even clip the receiver to your shirt pocket (let me know if you need a protector; I've got plenty) and call yourself a Smug Scientific Bastard for the day.

Dave, I have a Ph.D. in Molecular and Cellular Pathology. I am a Smug Scientist Bastard -- with credentials!!

So how come you never offered me a pocket protector?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Smug Scientist Bastard

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak