• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

If its safe enough for us to leave tomorrow we will probably go, as my mom wants us to go down to High Point and get some new furniture.  :wacko:

The indomitable spirit of a woman who wants her son to have nice new furniture. I love it.

We'll all be disappointed if you and Rachel can't make it, but as Dean said: This may be a very easy choice. Here's hoping your Mom is on the mend soon.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

I just assumed everyone in North Cackalacky knew where the Varmint residence was. Couldn't you just ask anyone on the street?

Isn't it like asking for directions to Graceland when in Memphis? :cool:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I would like to add my concerns for the Perlow's, but I will be very disappointed if they don't come...I was looking forward to meeting the Founder of e-gullet.

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

Please set up a broadcast, e.g using Yahoo messenger

Jackal has a good idea, but I don't have a webcam. Does an attendee have one to bring? I'll set it up on my laptop if needed...

i have a web cam..i'll pack it tonight.

i am now so excited about this...today is going too, too slowly. my flight leaves london at 10:00 tomorrow, then we have dinner in dc that night and drive down to raleigh via williamsberg.

we arrive late on friday night so we might be about then, but i am planning to try and let jack have a break. he's doing a lot of driving this trip :-)

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

Well, I just got off the phone with my Niman Ranch pig farmer, Mr. Wade Cole, and he and his slaughterhouse guy will be coming to the Pig Pickin'. Thus, you'll be able to ask them anything you ever wanted to know about animal husbandry, Niman Ranch practices, and life in an abbatoir (although I think this guy just does it in the barn behind his house!).

I'm picking up the pig early Thursday afternoon. Anyone want to join me?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

My pig guy may also be providing me with a bunch of rabbit. And it will most definitely be fresh! :wink:

Some of it will be used for the stew, but I plan on smoking a few bunnies, too. Do you brine rabbit???

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

My pig guy may also be providing me with a bunch of rabbit.  And it will most definitely be fresh!  :wink:

Some of it will be used for the stew, but I plan on smoking a few bunnies, too.  Do you brine rabbit???

i have bunnies in my backyard.

you, sir, are an animal. :angry:

If you have enough you could try it both brined and unbrined and see what's better. My instinct is to brine it since bunny can be rather dry.

Mr. Varmint, sir,

I think I heard you mention earlier that you will be going to Allen & Son on Thursday. Is that still true? I'm headed down to NC that morning and would love to meet you there for some good 'cue. I should be in your area around 2 p.m. if that would work. Lemme know!

Also, count me in on Friday's pit crew. I will be spending part of the day with my family but also plan to come over to help at your place. I'm also cool with doing potatoes if you want.

I'm really looking forward to this!

Erin

Erin

For you non-meat eaters, I just received a 38 ton box containing pickled heirloom okra, sent from the Heartland by Mr. Guajolote.  And he's coming, too!!!

What, only 38 tons? That's kind of chintzy for our beloved Mr. g. :raz:

Seriously, I can't wait to see the meeting of Dean and my other brother Dean. Especially as Suzanne notes that they resemble each other .

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com