• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

Wish I could, but there is the small matter of the Atlantic in the way.

Besides, in the spirit of the enterprise we should build an earth bread oven...

However looks like I'll be in Alberqueque for a week in November, at a very dull conference...

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Do we have a head count, or can we get one, for Friday night?

Since I'll probably be in the kitchen anyway, simmering birds and bunnies for VD Stew (I hear Varmint's trying to get Glenn Close as a celebrity Stew Sous for this part), I'll volunteer to run the brigade for dinner -- alternatively, if someone else wants to do it (guajolote? malawry?), that's fine by me, too. But Varmint's gonna be busy with his pig, so it has to be one of the rest of us. In any case, I'd like to go ahead and scale the recipe and have a shopping list ready for Friday. Varmint will need to alert his shrimp connection, too.

As for crew, I think there's:

guajolote

maggiethecat

hjshorter

malawry

KatieLoeb tending bar

If I left anyone out, or if I've volunteered you without permission, speak up.

Now, who's going to be there to eat?

I'm sure Aurora is in too. She's out of town now.

Dave is a good choice to be in charge, I'll do whatever he needs. I can also help with shopping on Friday afternoon if needed.

FYI, we have tons of counter space, but very little room in the actual cooking area. You'll soon learn to hate my kitchen, as it's a horribly designed maze. The kitchen was designed by my father-in-law who has never cooked a single thing in his life (and I'm not exaggerating). His new kitchen is far better.

Please note, however, that we also have a two burner range and mini-grill in the loft above our bedroom, so we have a total of 6 burners, all electric (ick). We have no functional ventilation/hood system, and the kitchen range is inexplicably stuck beneath some cupboards. We have a wet bar at one end of the kitchen, a couple of large marble counters, and the rest of the counter is tiled. I have 3 large cutting boards (1 wood, 1 poly-whatever, and my favorite, a rubber one). I also have about 3 smaller wood cutting boards. My knives sort of suck, but I have an electric sharpener that does ok. I do not have expensive cookware, nor do I plan to get any. It's generally heavy enough to get the job done. I have a full sized Sub-Zero Fridge and a full sized Sub-Zero Freezer. We also have an old-fashioned fridge in the pantry that serves as our beer fridge. We have 2 old electric ovens in the kitchen. We have a 36 bottle wine fridge that's mostly empty right now. We have hardly any liquor in the house, and NC ain't the best place to purchase it, either. If you want a kick-ass wine or beer shop, I can direct you accordingly.

Any other questions?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Deep fried nightcrawlers??  :laugh:

You laugh, but one of the gas station/quickie stops nearest my parents has had the following sign out front for at least 15 years now:

Pizza

Homemade Chili

Nightcrawlers

My question has always been whether the nightcrawlers are a separate entree on their own, or a side that comes with the chili. Or an ingredient of the chili, for that matter. :biggrin:

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

If I could figure out how to upload a jpg file I'd show you the little diner on the way to Southport NC with the big neon sign out front that says "Worms and Coffee". :smile:

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

Any other questions?

Yes.

Does Mrs. Dr. Varmint know that you only married her in order to get access to her mother's kitchen?

Yeah, but I am currently in her mother's kitchen, as we bought our current house from her parents! Now the new kitchen, wowee!

3 ovens, including a tile-lined bread oven. 6 burner gas range. 2 dishwashers. Commercial espresso machine, fully plumbed. New Sub-Zero fridge and freezer. 8 feet by 12 feet marble slab working area. Gelato machine, Kitchen-Aid mixer, and Food processor all in cupboards with spring-loaded lifts. Wine fridge. Wine cellar. Dining room table that can accomodate 22. They like to entertain.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

OK, I am bringing at least one (possibly 2) working Chefs with me on Saturday so what time would you like us to arrive so that we can assist? I'm sure by Saturday you'll be ready for a break from your responsibilities Varmint.

OK, here's my list:

plastic silverware

plastic serveware

napkins

paper towels

plates

big red cups

permanent markers (for putting names on cups)

small clear cups for wine (?? do we need these?)

garbage bags

disposable gladware bowls for leftovers (if there are any)

Anything else? Shall I pick up a pack of name tags too? How about a case or two of Coke?

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Dave, I will happily sous-chef if you run the brigade. I come with my own knives.  :cool:

I'll bring my digital camera too. Though if anybody else has one they should bring them as well, we cannot have enough documentation of this event. Else how will Tommy and Elyse entertain themselves in our absence?

:laugh:

I'm not going anywhere on Saturday, so come whenever you'd like.  Remember that this is really just a 3 day party!!!

ok, I just noticed in a previous post you said you needed some help cooking on Saturday... :wink:

Shall I pick up a pack of name tags too?

I noticed at the NY/NJ event, they had eGullet name tags.

We can go one better: name tags with the event logo on them. I can handle this.

I think by the end of this event, the 50 or 60 non-eGulleteers in attendance will know all there is to know about the site. Think of yourselves as ambassadors, my friends!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

OK, here's my list:

plastic silverware

plastic serveware

napkins

paper towels

plates

big red cups

garbage bags

Anything else?  Shall I pick up a pack of name tags too?  How about a case or two of Coke?

How ya doing for tables & chairs? I've got a few of each.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I'm not going anywhere on Saturday, so come whenever you'd like.  Remember that this is really just a 3 day party!!!

ok, I just noticed in a previous post you said you needed some help cooking on Saturday... :wink:

It'll be crazy on Saturday, but I had also promised to make, at the very least, lots of biscuits Saturday morning. Thus, anyone will be welcome at any time. It's going to be a long day, and there will inevitably be plenty to do.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

OK, here's my list:

plastic silverware

plastic serveware

napkins

paper towels

plates

big red cups

garbage bags

Anything else?  Shall I pick up a pack of name tags too?  How about a case or two of Coke?

How ya doing for tables & chairs? I've got a few of each.

I'm renting tables and chairs for 60. I'd love it if we get more. Thanks.

Anything you want to throw on the smoker/cooker? We need to have something spicy, don't we???

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Varmint, I'ma bring some of my homemade jam for your biscuits too, if I can remember it. The blackberry is especially apropos for grownups as it's thick and not too sweet.

Thanks for telling us whatcha got in the kitchen, that's pretty helpful actually.

Varmint, I'ma bring some of my homemade jam for your biscuits too, if I can remember it. The blackberry is especially apropos for grownups as it's thick and not too sweet.

Thanks for telling us whatcha got in the kitchen, that's pretty helpful actually.

Thanks, but will it be as good as Grandma Varmint in a Jar???? Sorry, folks -- inside joke.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I'm not competing with somebody who has passed away in the jams-and-jellies dept, Varmint. She'll probably be turnin' over in her grave as-is what with all the antics next weekend. :blink:

I'm not competing with somebody who has passed away in the jams-and-jellies dept, Varmint. She'll probably be turnin' over in her grave as-is what with all the antics next weekend.  :blink:

Hell, she'd be mighty proud! Or pissed off that she couldn't make it!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites