• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

and their new sister bar, Porters. 

A couple of new restaurants have opened since June, including Vivo, an Italian place, that offers a breakfast service, too.

We have recently been to both Porters and Vivo. Both get thumbs up. Porters is casual, but with better than expected food--amazing non-traditional "nachos" and a top notch burger (avoid the onion rings). Vivo has good pasta and great little flatbreads (basically thin pizza)--oddly, they basically don't sell wine by the glass.

I can't believe the first post on this was May 15th! This has to be the longest planned out eGullet event in history...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I can't believe the first post on this was May 15th!  This has to be the longest planned out eGullet event in history...

Yeah, it is a bit ridiculous, but it's been a fun ride.

On a more serious note, we'll have a big-ass turkey fryer set up for hush puppies, but I thought it would be fun (and, of course, slightly dangerous) to deep fry other things. We'll have to prepare an all purpose batter, then scrounge through my pantry to figure out what would be good. Deep fried Moon Pies, anyone???

Along the same line, I was thinking that although we'll have plenty of desserts, it might be sort of fun to make some fried pies. If someone wants to research that area, we could hit the farmers market and buy different ingredients for filling. The pastry should be pretty simple, I'd think. Anyhow, it's just a thought.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Varmint-- feelin the pressure yet?

Pressure? Pressure? I laugh in the face of pressure. I fart in pressure's general direction. I wave my private parts at pressure.

Yes, just a bit.

You da man!

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

On a more serious note, we'll have a big-ass turkey fryer set up for hush puppies, but I thought it would be fun (and, of course, slightly dangerous) to deep fry other things.  We'll have to prepare an all purpose batter, then scrounge through my pantry to figure out what would be good.  Deep fried Moon Pies, anyone???

Deep fried catfish filets? Chicken wings?

Oooh, FRIED PICKLES!

-- A.B.

The pastry should be pretty simple, I'd think.  Anyhow,

There's nothing simple about pastry :sad: at least for me. Picking up the RV tomorrow and getting it ready to head down. See you on Friday.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

On a more serious note, we'll have a big-ass turkey fryer set up for hush puppies, but I thought it would be fun (and, of course, slightly dangerous) to deep fry other things.  We'll have to prepare an all purpose batter, then scrounge through my pantry to figure out what would be good.  Deep fried Moon Pies, anyone???

Oooh, FRIED PICKLES!

Those will be the LAST things to hit the oil, I can assure you.

Deep fried pickles are so 1998.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Oooh, FRIED PICKLES!

Those will be the LAST things to hit the oil, I can assure you.

Denied...

I just thought we could have a replica of a Hooters franchise somewhere at the event. :biggrin::biggrin:

-- A.B.

If ya'll want to deep-fry savory things and sweet things we may want to transition the oil at some point. I'm only bringing enough for one fill-up of the fryer. Hush puppy oil can be used to fry either sweet or savory, but once you dump chicken wings and catfish in there you do not want pies going into the same oil.

I think a deep-fried Moon Pie with a glass bottle of RC cola sounds like the perfect ending to this event, btw. :blink:

We'll keep the same oil, but we'll be careful to start with delicate flavors before we venture into the deep fried anchovies. This is comparable to a pyromaniac's desire to burn different things. We'll just deep fry 'em.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Do we have a head count, or can we get one, for Friday night?

Since I'll probably be in the kitchen anyway, simmering birds and bunnies for VD Stew (I hear Varmint's trying to get Glenn Close as a celebrity Stew Sous for this part), I'll volunteer to run the brigade for dinner -- alternatively, if someone else wants to do it (guajolote? malawry?), that's fine by me, too. But Varmint's gonna be busy with his pig, so it has to be one of the rest of us. In any case, I'd like to go ahead and scale the recipe and have a shopping list ready for Friday. Varmint will need to alert his shrimp connection, too.

As for crew, I think there's:

guajolote

maggiethecat

hjshorter

malawry

KatieLoeb tending bar

If I left anyone out, or if I've volunteered you without permission, speak up.

Now, who's going to be there to eat?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Alas, I can't be there, but I am vicariously enjoying the excitement buildiing.

Anyway, if find yourselves experimenting with the fryer, I suggest deep-fried twinkies. I wasn't a believer until I tried one at the Wisconsin State Fair. The fried snickers were not as good. (I think both might have been rolled in sugar prior to hitting the fat.)

I have witnessed a bunch of beer-buzzed folks frying everything within reach after a main course of fish tacos was complete. The enthusiasm was severely curbed when the cheese-curds glommed into a single mass that was near impossible to extract from the fryer.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Do we have a head count, or can we get one, for Friday night?

Since I'll probably be in the kitchen anyway, simmering birds and bunnies for VD Stew (I hear Varmint's trying to get Glenn Close as a celebrity Stew Sous for this part), I'll volunteer to run the brigade for dinner -- alternatively, if someone else wants to do it (guajolote? malawry?), that's fine by me, too. But Varmint's gonna be busy with his pig, so it has to be one of the rest of us. In any case, I'd like to go ahead and scale the recipe and have a shopping list ready for Friday. Varmint will need to alert his shrimp connection, too.

As for crew, I think there's:

guajolote

maggiethecat

hjshorter

malawry

KatieLoeb tending bar

If I left anyone out, or if I've volunteered you without permission, speak up.

Now, who's going to be there to eat?

I'd like to be there for dinner Friday and to watch and learn on the pig preppin and VD stewin. I'd be happy to be a gopher, or prepper, or stirrer, or whatever ya'll (see I'm practicing already) need.

No job too small. My specialties are in my signature line.

-- A.B.

Yes -- they're so last millenium.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Dave, I will happily sous-chef if you run the brigade. I come with my own knives. :cool:

I'll bring my digital camera too. Though if anybody else has one they should bring them as well, we cannot have enough documentation of this event. Else how will Tommy and Elyse entertain themselves in our absence?