• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

Varmint, any chance I could up my count to 4? Seems everyone I know wants to party wid' choo. :biggrin:

If you're max count has been exceeded, I will certainly understand.

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

Mrs. Varmint would like some chocolate covered digestives, please. :wink:

milk or plain chocolate for preference? or is she like me and perpetually unable to decide between both?

has she tried hob nobs?

Plain chocolate Hob Nobs. The all-time perfect food. There was about three years between discovering them in England and finding a supplier back in the states and it was bleak indeed.

Varmint, any chance I could up my count to 4?  Seems everyone I know wants to party wid' choo.  :biggrin:

If you're max count has been exceeded, I will certainly understand.

I think McCord is on vacation until next week. I doubt increased #s is a problem.

I am on vacation in the mountains of North Cackalacky, trying to see how Eric Rudolph lived. Haven't had barbecue in over a week. Will fix that tomorrow.

No problem with the added numbers.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Folks, could you please take a look at the attendee list several posts above to make sure this currently represents the best guess of who's coming? I need to reserve a tent, tables, and chairs, and I'm trying to estimate the size of the crowd.

BTW, this will be a marathon event, of course, starting Friday afternoon, going through the night for a few lucky ones, and really kicking in on Saturday. I'm now shooting at the food being ready by mid-afternoon, say 3:00. That gives us more daylight to work with.

Thanks, y'all.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Attendee Update!!

Hjshorter + 3 (DC area) + an unknown number of friends from Cary, NC

ZebA + 1-1/2 (Raleigh)

Marlene +1 (Toronto)

Vengroff +1 (DC)

Jaymes (Texas but Missouri by then)

=Mark (NJ)

=Mark's "bro" Rich

maggiethecat (Chi-town)

Holly Moore (Philly)

KatieLoeb (Philly)

Malawry +1 (DC area)

edemuth (DC area)

Dave the Cook (Hotlanta)

Kpurvis (Charlotte)

Dlc (Tennessee)

Mummer (Philly)

claire797 +2 (??)

Blondie +1 (NY)

Ditsydine (Raleigh)

NewYorkTexan (??) (Austin, TX)

Jason & Rachel Perlow (Jersey)

Timothycdavis (Charlotte)

Weka +2 (Cary)

Hungry Chris +1 (Connecticut)

Jmcgrath (Massachussets)

Hscottk is very interested (NJ)

Sam Iam is trying to cajole family members to come (Michigan)

Ladybug +4 (a strong maybe)

cat lancaster (Chicago)

foodie52 +1 (Texas)

tommy +1 (NJ/NYC)

Lady T ???? (Chicago?)

quajolote (Chicago)

NeroW (Chicago)

Aurora ? (Chicago)

Fresser (Chicago)

helenas +1 (NJ) -- Yeah, Helena!!!!

joler +3 (Greensboro, North Cackalacky)

zilla369??? -- (Louisville -- Jaymes has offered you a ride!)

beans +1 -- (Cleveland, OH -- Cleveland rocks, and so does beans!)

Mrs. Ramsey ??  +2 (Seattle!!)

Meatman +3?? (Chapel Hill, NC)

Tarka +1 (London, England)

Since you want people to confirm their attendence, I thought it might be handy to have the current RSVP list at the end of the thread rather than a couple pages back. Anyway, so far Jason and I are still planning on driving down. I'd say we have about an 80% chance of coming. We will reconfirm mid-Sept.

What's it take to be one of the "few lucky ones"? I can be there Friday night to help "baste the bod" if needed. :blink: I'm also probably going to bring along my Cheif Executive Blender Drink Maker (included in current count). :smile:

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

As far as help is concerned, you can call me Jimmy, cuz I'll take what you gimme!

Friends are very welcome. My primary objective is to determine where the "maybes" stand and to see if anyone has had a total change of plans.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Hungry Chris +1 (Connecticut)

------------------------------------

I am the "+1" and we are reconfirming our r.s.v.p.! Our flight gets in on Saturday around 1pm. We are staying overnight at the Brownstone and are looking forward to this adventure!

Post pickin' might be just as exciting! We are planning on visiting your Farmer's Market on Sunday before we leave NC.

We are trying to come up with something "north eastern" to bring along....but are not having much success. We are limited by time and mode of transportation. We may just have to stop off at the "packie" before arriving!!

I think we should hit Mitchell's in Wilson, which is about an hour or so from the house.  I will be taking Thursday and Friday off, so I should be able to sneak away to Wilson for lunch on Friday.  If not, I'll provide detailed maps.

Mitchell's is the real deal.

Varmint, I'm new around here, but clearly you are engaged in a very noble endeavor. I salute you.

I went out to NC a few years ago and ate my way across the state. Mitchell's and Lexington #1 were my favorites. But as good as the barbeque was in the restaurants, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that homemade must be just that much better. [drool, drool] If there's a next time, I'll figure out a way to be there, even if I have to walk to NC from Los Angeles.

~Tad

Varmint, I'm new around here, but clearly you are engaged in a very noble endeavor.  I salute you.

I went out to NC a few years ago and ate my way across the state.  Mitchell's and Lexington #1 were my favorites.  But as good as the barbeque was in the restaurants, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that homemade must be just that much better.  [drool, drool]  If there's a next time, I'll figure out a way to be there, even if I have to walk to NC from Los Angeles.

~Tad

I've been involved in smoking & BBQ for some time now and have to agree. Most of those here on the forum that enjoy smoking, even those taking it up fairly recently will tell you that 95% of home smoked product, from newbie amatuers to BBQ contest competitors is better than most of the commercial stuff out there. You can taste the love... :wub:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

You're counting system seems different from what I'm doing with the RSVP list in NJ - I count about 74 eGulleteers coming to this shindig. We have about the same number coming to the NJ PigOut. Yours'll be bigger though 'cause you're inviting friends & relatives as well.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the list of those who have confirmed (or at least, have answered me and have indicated that they still plan to come). There are a number of other people who have previously indicated that they're coming, but they haven't confirmed (beans, KatieLoeb?). As you can see, our numbers have dropped, which is not overly surprising, as this is indeed quite a haul to get down here. Nevertheless, this will be a big party. The pig is ordered, the tent, chairs, and tables have been reserved, the wood has been sourced, and we'll be ready to go. If you have not confirmed, please do so via PM or by posting here. If you are planning on making or bringing anything, let me know that, too! Thanks, y'all, and please forgive me if I made any mistakes.

=Mark (2)

Hjshorter (4 + 2 kids) (plasticware, plates, napkins)

Jaymes (1) (pinto beans and a vegetarian side dish)

Marlene (2) (butter tart squares – needs kitchen)

Mummer (1)

Malawry (1) (hush puppies!)

Ladybug (2 + 3 kids) (chocolate cupcakes)

ZebA (2)

Jason & Rachel Perlow (2)

Helenas (2)

Varmint (2 + 4 kids)

Tarka (2) (England!)

Holly Moore (1)

Weka (3-4) (bread pudding or gumbo)

Blondie (2)

Edemuth (1) (corn on the cob)

Maggiethecat (1)

Ditsydine (2)

Tommy (2)

Joler (4) – Bourbon bread pudding

Aurora (1)

Ditsydine (2)

timothycdavis

kpurvis

HungryChris (2)

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Looks good, V.  I will wait on buying the paper goods until closer to pig time.  We will also bring a large cooler and plenty of trash bags.

We're planning on arriving Friday noon, so Scott will be around that night to help with the pig.

Just promise me he won't come in Dungeons and Dragons garb!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

=Mark (2)

Hjshorter (4 + 2 kids) (plasticware, plates, napkins)

Jaymes (1) (pinto beans and a vegetarian side dish)

Marlene (2) (butter tart squares – needs kitchen)

Mummer (1)

Malawry (1) (hush puppies!)

Ladybug (2 + 3 kids) (chocolate cupcakes)

ZebA (2)

Jason & Rachel Perlow (2)

Helenas (2)

Varmint (2 + 4 kids)

Tarka (2) (England!)

Holly Moore (1)

Weka (3-4) (bread pudding or gumbo)

Blondie (2)

Edemuth (1) (corn on the cob)

Maggiethecat (1)

Ditsydine (2)

Tommy (2)