• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

Will you all be very disappointed if we drive the SUV instead of the old Caddy?

Yeah, as much as I like that car, I really don't want to drive it that far.

The SUV we have yet-to-buy will likely be a Caddy, though.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

For those who really want to count down the days until the pig pickin', Fat Guy worked this up for me:

Go here for a countdown to the big event (this counts down to 7:00 AM (EDT) on October 11).  Click for the Countdown Page!

Does this mean we gotta get up prior to 7am on the 11th? :shock:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

We might stop somewhere on the way down & back overnight. Possible stops include Laurel MD, Fredericksburg or Richmond VA. Anyone want to get together?

I expect to be driving down to my bro Rich's place in Arlington, Va on Thursday, Pick him up and then drive to Raleigh on Friday. Will reverse the process on Sunday/Monday. Don't know which days you'll be travelling...

=Mark

For those who really want to count down the days until the pig pickin', Fat Guy worked this up for me:

Go here for a countdown to the big event (this counts down to 7:00 AM (EDT) on October 11).  Click for the Countdown Page!

Does this mean we gotta get up prior to 7am on the 11th? :shock:

Of course, as the festivities will begin the night before, and sleep is not an option! :wacko: Actually, it means that Fat Guy wanted it to coincide with day break.

However, those on the cooking crew will need to man a couple of hours with the pig during the prior night/early morning. I just want to get about 6 hours of sleep. We'll start the pig around 7 the night before, and it'll be done by 3 the following afternoon. We'll serve around 5 or so. That should give us about 2 hours of daylight before the serious partying begins.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

We might stop somewhere on the way down & back overnight. Possible stops include Laurel MD, Fredericksburg or Richmond VA. Anyone want to get together?

I expect to be driving down to my bro Rich's place in Arlington, Va on Thursday, Pick him up and then drive to Raleigh on Friday. Will reverse the process on Sunday/Monday. Don't know which days you'll be travelling...

Arlington is about 4 hours away. Richmond is about 2-1/2 hours away.

Perlows-- Just get your tails down here. You needn't stop! It's only about an 8 hour drive (depending on traffic, of course).

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Varmint, you mentioned a possible road trip to a local BBQ place a half dozen or so pages ago. This still a go?

=Mark

I think we should hit Mitchell's in Wilson, which is about an hour or so from the house. I will be taking Thursday and Friday off, so I should be able to sneak away to Wilson for lunch on Friday. If not, I'll provide detailed maps.

Mitchell's is the real deal.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Will you all be very disappointed if we drive the SUV instead of the old Caddy?

i think the entire NJ contingent should show up in a convoy of camaros. :laugh:

pS: varmint, you got a ping pong table? :unsure:

i think the entire NJ contingent should show up in a convoy of camaros.  :laugh:

pS:  varmint, you got a ping pong table?  :unsure:

El Caminos would be fine, too!

No ping pong table, pnapoli. You can bring one if you'd like! The event will be on the tennis court, but the tent and port-a-potty might prevent you from getting in a couple of sets, however.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Perlows-- Just get your tails down here.  You needn't stop!  It's only about an 8 hour drive (depending on traffic, of course).

According to mapquest, it's about 9 and a half hours to High Point (going there first, remember). I've done Boston in a day, that's about 5 hours, and I don't think I can handle that much more road daze in one shot.

The event will be on the tennis court, but the...port-a-potty might prevent you from getting in a couple of sets...

Although maybe you COULD work it into the golf tournament somehow...

Perhaps a special prize for a "hole in one"?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I was afraid McCord might cry if no one posted in his thread today.

I start to get really concerned when Zeb starts looking out for my welfare.

And I would have posted something if no one else did!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

posting with yourself is never quite a satisfying.

Would that be "posterbating"?

I believe what's going on here is "poster Baiting" :raz:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I just ran into this post and would love to be at the pig pickin. I would be willing to contribute some beef for the folks who do not like our NC BBQ. Maybe a steamship, slow cooked on a spit or in another pig cooker. I live over here in Chapel Hill. May I bring my young children or is this adults only?

As far as dog friendly is concerned, Rachel, the L'il Varmints like dogs, but they have a healthy respect for them. Nonetheless, we live on a somewhat busy street where you wouldn't want the dogs running free. Plus, we are likely to have over a hundred people on our tennis court, making it fairly crowded. I'm not sure the dogs would love that environment.

Meatman, some folks are bringing their own smokers/cookers to supplement the pig. I won't have any more room on my cooker, so you'd have to bring your own. Feel free to post more details on what you'd like to do.

I'm gettng ready to load up 3 of the L'il Varmints and heading over to Wilson to partake of Mitchell's Barbecue. I'll report back with all the details, including lots of photos.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites