• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

Varmint- 900 miles in 13 hours is averaging nearly 70 mph! I've gotten a bit more sedate than in the old days.  :biggrin:

Hey, that's straight off of the Yahoo driving directions site, and their time is a bit conservative. I think with stops, some traffic, and realistic speeds, you're looking at a 16 hour day. That's brutal!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I think it's damn difficult to imagine anything sounding better than "Bourbon Bread Pudding."

Goodness me.

A couple of pans for sure.

I'll make sure they are REALLY big pans. :smile:

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

Nick and Katherine-

As you know, driving down here is all about the traffic.  How well can you time it??  I can't recall where y'all are, but from Boothbay Harbor, it's about 900 miles and a bit more than 13 hours of driving.  That is a haul, indeed.  You could fly from Manchester NH on Southwest for under $200, but that's a lot of money for a pig pickin'.  Picking up folks along the way may make the trip more enjoyable, too.

I certainly hope you can make it, but it's such a long distance that I can certainly see why that might make it a tad much.

I have driven from DC to York Harbor many many times. Trip is 8-10 hours. 8 is VERY fast; 10 allows for pit stops, traffic, etc.

I have also driven from Raleigh to DC many many times. The trip is 4-5 hours. So, that gives you 12-15 hours from York to Raleigh (I'd say closer to 15 unless you drive real fast in the middle of the night with no stops). Not sure how far it is from York to Boothbay.

I have also driven from Raleigh to DC many many times.  The trip is 4-5 hours.

You have to add five hours because a trip south from DC ain't a trip unless you hit South of the Border for greasy food...

You have to add five hours because a trip south from DC ain't a trip unless you hit South of the Border for greasy food...

South of the Border is the worst place I ever stopped at. A friend of mine and I stopped in there coming back from fixing my father's house down in the Keys after hurricane Georges. The room we'd taken for the night stunk of some kind of chemical they used to clean the rooms, the windows wouldn't open, and the restaurant we ate at had a "prime rib" that wasn't much more than a step above shoe leather.

About midnight after having had drunk a significant quantity of beer after all this, unable to get a breath of good air in our room, and pondering our options, I thought about taking my father's old Springfield which we were carrying back to Maine (as well as a case of M2 machine gun ammo that fit it - every fifth round a tracer) and shooting out the lights on that giant sombrero that dominates the whole place.

Common sense overtook us and we bailed out, hit the road around 1 am, and booked it to some motel we found in Virginia. After sleeping all day we got up and from the thing in the motel room went to Wagstaff's restaurant that was advertised. About a six or seven mile drive down a regular two-lane road we came to Wagstaff's. It was one of the best places I've ever eaten at on the road .

A salad bar that I've never seen the equal of and pick your steak to be char-broiled. Server comes by the table with a cart and two loins - one a rib-eye and the other a strip. Asks which you want and how thick you want it. Then he asks what time you'd like to be served.

Dynamite! Sure beat the county jail fare I would have been served if I'd shot out those light bulbs on the sombrero.

Katherine - You ready for a road trip? :shock:

I wanna come, and I'm gonna need the break. Nickn, are you coming, and can you pick me up in Saco?

I've been kind of hanging back thinking about how far it is from Maine to NC.

Yeah like what else you got to do?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

A salad bar that I've never seen the equal of and pick your steak to be char-broiled. Server comes by the table with a cart and two loins - one a rib-eye and the other a strip. Asks which you want and how thick you want it. Then he asks what time you'd like to be served...

Katherine - You ready for a road trip?  :shock:

Wagstaff's sounds great, though I don't think I'll be running a meat deficiency on the way back...

I need to get out of here more often.

A salad bar that I've never seen the equal of and pick your steak to be char-broiled. Server comes by the table with a cart and two loins - one a rib-eye and the other a strip. Asks which you want and how thick you want it. Then he asks what time you'd like to be served...

Katherine - You ready for a road trip?  :shock:

Wagstaff's sounds great, though I don't think I'll be running a meat deficiency on the way back...

I need to get out of here more often.

Sounds like y'all are gonna have so much fun I might just fly to Maine so I can drive south with you.

Drive South

We can go south with a smile on

Ain't going to pack my nylons

Just leave these legs showing

It gets hot down where we're going

:cool:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Drive South

We can go south with a smile on

Ain't going to pack my nylons

Just leave these legs showing

It gets hot down where we're going

John Hiatt's got it down.

Good to know that sometimes ol' John leaves them nylons at home.

South of the Border is the worst place I ever stopped at ... stunk of some kind of chemical  ...  a "prime rib" that wasn't much more than a step above shoe leather.

But, brother, that's the charm. Place is an institution (though you're a braver man than I to actually try and stay there)... it's like stopping to see the Thing when driving I-10 through the desert... just something you've got to do.

But, brother, that's the charm.

Right. We stopped because we'd seen so many cars back here in Maine with the bumper stickers. While we weren't expecting the Hilton....

I guess other people have since discovered its unique charm as I haven't seen a bumper sticker from there in the last couple of years. :biggrin:

Had a chat with the SO. Looks like this may be a go! :smile: October is at the end of a long season and a little vacation will be in order. Varmint -- What can I bring? What can I do to help?

Beans-

That's great that we'll have a representative from Ohio (although I should claim you're coming from Alaska).

You needn't bring anything other than yourselves, but I will assign you with a task: You must come up with a new drink creation for the Pig Pickin'. Call it a Varmint, a Stuck Pig, or whatever you want. Regardless, it needs to be something that we can make and serve down here!

I'm working on some tea-infused rums to see if I can develop some sort of "sweet tea shooter." Results are somewhat favorable so far.

Looks as if I need to start updating the attendee list soon!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Time for a new attendee update:

Hjshorter + 3 (DC area)

ZebA + 1-1/2 (Raleigh)

Marlene +1 (Toronto)

Vengroff +1 (DC)

Jaymes (Texas but Missouri by then)

=Mark (NJ)

=Mark's "bro" Rich

maggiethecat (Chi-town)

Holly Moore (Philly)

KatieLoeb (Philly)

Malawry +1 (DC area)

edemuth (DC area)

Dave the Cook (Hotlanta)

Kpurvis (Charlotte)

Dlc (Tennessee)

Mummer (Philly)

claire797 +2 (??)

herbacidal (??) (Philly)

Blondie +1 (NY)

Ditsydine (Raleigh)

NewYorkTexan (??) (Austin, TX)

Jason & Rachel Perlow (Jersey – in their RV)

Timothycdavis (Charlotte)

Weka +2 (Cary)

Hungry Chris +1 (Connecticut)

Jmcgrath (Massachussets)

Hscottk is very interested (NJ)

Sam Iam is trying to cajole family members to come (Michigan)

Ladybug +4 (a strong maybe)

cat lancaster (Chicago)

foodie52 +1 (Texas)

tommy +1 (NJ/NYC)

Lady T ???? (Chicago?)

quajolote (Chicago)

NeroW (Chicago)

Awbrig +3 (Chicago)

Aurora ? (Chicago)

Fresser (Chicago)

helenas +1 (NJ) -- Yeah, Helena!!!!

joler +1 (Greensboro, North Cackalacky)

zilla369??? -- (Louisville -- Jaymes has offered you a ride!)

beans +1 -- (Cleveland, OH -- Cleveland rocks, and so does beans!)

Strong work from the Heartland crowd. I'm very, very impressed.

bigbear isn't sure he can make it, but he's trying to find some George T. Stagg bourbon just in case.

Nickn from Maine is probably going to come, as the peer pressure is hell. Plus, Katherine needs a ride. And he wants to make sure that Maine is well-represented. Finally, he'll regret it for the rest of his life and burn in hell if he doesn't come.

Xanthippe. Can someone fly her over on their personal jet? She really, really wants to come.

Bourdain's too busy in Spain to pay attention to us.

If everyone shows who said they're coming (or hoping to), that gives us 74 (including the Varmint family). I expect the numbers to grow for awhile before flaming out at the end. Please book your flights and rooms today! Operators are standing by. I am probably going to cap the total number of people at 110 or so, and that includes my local friends and family members. Thus, if you want to come, please add your name to the list!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

It's like stopping to see the Thing when driving I-10 through the desert... just something you've got to do.

I used to live in Tucson - about 40 miles west of The Thing.

So it amused me to give people, who were driving from the east to visit me, directions from The Thing.

As in "after you reach 'The Thing,' go 38 miles to exit #122, then right...etc."

Tickled me no end.

:laugh:

Sign me up as a maybe. I just looked at three one-way tickets for a total of $500, which sounds entirely feasible.

Kathy

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Sign me up as a maybe.  I just looked at three one-way tickets for a total of $500, which sounds entirely feasible.

Kathy

From Washington State??? That'd put you in the lead for greatest distance travelled!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Sign me up as a maybe.  I just looked at three one-way tickets for a total of $500, which sounds entirely feasible.

Kathy

From Washington State??? That'd put you in the lead for greatest distance travelled!!!

I'm planning to take two weeks off in October anyway, spending most of it in the Midwest, and my itinerary is pretty flexible (except for the weekend after Pig Pickin'). So I plugged Seattle-->Raleigh-->Cedar Rapids(Iowa)-->Seattle into Expedia and came up with some decent prices. I'm going to Chicago, but that's just a 4-hour drive from my Iowa destination.

A travel agent could probably come up with even better prices.

So it's not entirely impossible. It sounds like an event not to be missed.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

October 11?  That's my birthday!

Darn. It was supposed to be a surprise! :angry::cool::raz: