• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

Yeah, i'm definitely down with all the above. A separate thread for posting design ideas, with posts filtered through Dave, perhaps?

I'm not sure if this was foodie's original plan or not, now that i think of it...but i think any profits at all ought to go to the party's host. If the final design is put out there in a cafepress shop, everyone could just order theirs before they get to the party, and then nobody has to have a bunch of shirts shipped all over the country, although someone might want to have several on hand at the actual event.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

I agree, the profits should help pay for the event. You could easily charge $12 a shirt. Of course, I still think a contribution bin is in line as well - if by chance there is excess, it can go into the Pig-stock 2004 fund. :rolleyes:

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

Must . . . be . . . nice . . . to . . . ex . . . so . . . he . . . will . . . drive . . . me . . . in . . . his . . . Cadillac.

Damn. That's a tall order.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Must . . . be . . . nice . . . to . . . ex . . . so . . . he . . . will . . . drive . . . me . . . in . . . his . . . Cadillac.

Damn.  That's a tall order.

If ex drives you in his Caddy, that means you must spend time with ex. Go with Fresser. Be free!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I've added a Pig Pickin' FAQ page that I've pinned and locked that contains links to various pieces of information about the pig pickin'. This seemed to be the more prudent route rather than pinning a bunch of different topics on the forum.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

One post on this thread in one week. That's almost depressing.

Anyhow, I'm infusing some rum with tea to see if I can make an alcoholic version of the standard "sweet tea" found at every barbecue restaurant. I'll report back with the results, but a good shooter is what I'm looking for!

Also, I'm contacting a North Carolina based Niman Ranch farmer to see if I can buy one of his pigs. That would be most excellent!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Well, I think people were trying not to get too anxious since it's only July and the party's not til October. But if it makes you feel better, my friend and I talked about it last weekend and we are psyched about it. I was thinkin' bout making a couple of big pans of Bourbon Bread Pudding. Whaddya think of that?

Hey, is that a picture of a little Varmint? He's awfully cute. I really liked your old avatar though and was hoping you'd come to the pickin' dressed like the guy with the spikey hair. :raz:

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

One post on this thread in one week.  That's almost depressing.

Anyhow, I'm infusing some rum with tea to see if I can make an alcoholic version of the standard "sweet tea" found at every barbecue restaurant.  I'll report back with the results, but a good shooter is what I'm looking for!

Also, I'm contacting a North Carolina based Niman Ranch farmer to see if I can buy one of his pigs.  That would be most excellent!!!

i knew it!

you care more about the buzz than the substance.

:biggrin:

don't forget about cool drinks for the kiddies and those resistant to alcohol abuse.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Hey, is that a picture of a little Varmint?  He's awfully cute.  I really liked your old avatar though and was hoping you'd come to the pickin' dressed like the guy with the spikey hair. :raz:

That's actually a picture of me from decades ago. It was time to change the avatar to something a bit more "home grown."

Oh, the bourbon bread pudding sounds awesome!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Varmint, can you make me +1 please? :smile:

Will do next revision, Blondie.

We actually may be having guests come from Norway, but since they're not eGulleteers, the farthest distance travelled prize would still be up for grabs. Torakris? Xanthippe? Schielke/Dixon? Andy Lynes or any other Brit????? Having Canada represented already makes this an international event, but having multiple continents would make it even better!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Well I'm not going to compete with another's bread pudding so I guess I will have to consider a change of dish to gumbo.

- Weka

"Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least."

- Goethe

I was thinkin' bout making a couple of big pans of Bourbon Bread Pudding.  Whaddya think of that?

I think it's damn difficult to imagine anything sounding better than "Bourbon Bread Pudding."

Goodness me.

A couple of pans for sure.

And you might consider bringing some for the rest of the folks as well.

:biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I wanna come, and I'm gonna need the break. Nickn, are you coming, and can you pick me up in Saco?

BTW, I can cook almost anything, so I'd just as soon wait and see what's needed. Looks like beans aren't going to be in short supply.

Katie, I once made blood orange/cello, but it came out really weird. Strictly a mixer.

I wanna come, and I'm gonna need the break. Nickn, are you coming, and can you pick me up in Saco?

Katherine, Now you're putting me on the spot. I've been kind of hanging back thinking about how far it is from Maine to NC. It's a hard job to get me to go Portland, to say nothing of all the way to Raleigh. It's still aways off before this happens so there's plenty of time to think about it.

Now I've got to get back to smoking some (wild) deer whole tenderloins. Been in the freezer too long and it was finally time to do something. Smoking isn't proceding as smoothly as I'd like. Never buy one of those Brinkmann "bullets". To put it in plain terms, they're a piece of shit.

But, I'm still thinkin" about Varmint's get-together. It's going to be the egullet event of the year down that way. :smile:

Nick and Katherine-

As you know, driving down here is all about the traffic. How well can you time it?? I can't recall where y'all are, but from Boothbay Harbor, it's about 900 miles and a bit more than 13 hours of driving. That is a haul, indeed. You could fly from Manchester NH on Southwest for under $200, but that's a lot of money for a pig pickin'. Picking up folks along the way may make the trip more enjoyable, too.

I certainly hope you can make it, but it's such a long distance that I can certainly see why that might make it a tad much.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Nick and Katherine-

I just received an email from two friends in Skowhegan that they're coming for the event. If they can make it, so can you!!! Of course, they're headed to the NC beaches for the following week, but that's just a minor detail!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites