• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

OK Jaymes. It's Friday. We're waiting on the news we can use.... :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Varmint, looks like I might be dragging my Bro Rich along too. Also rumor has it that Cat Lancaster from the heartland group might be susceptible to a little cajoling...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Bring it on! All of you! Truly, the more, the merrier. I'm planning on getting about a 125 pound pig, so that should take care of the masses!

It's not my power, it's the power of the pig.

I've chatted with Jaymes, and she's working on things. She got tied up with some stuff, and she'll get on it next week. Remember, y'all, that we have plenty of time here! Plus, Jaymes did this professionally for 20 years, so you're in fantastic hands.

I'm hoping the Velvet Cloak Inn has a good deal, if not for the proximity to the house (a 5 minute drive, tops, and walkable if extremely drunk), but for the name. C'mon, haven't y'all wanted to stay at a place called the "Velvet Cloak"????

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

If you come all the way across the country, I'll be sure that you get at least 2 ribs!!! :wacko:

Will you throw in a mess o' pork skin with those ribs?!? Now, that's motivation of the most holy sort!! :biggrin:

And the Varmint said "pig pickin" -- and the word was good.

Edited by Xanthippe (log)

The Velvet cloak is my first choice. I saw those pics of their rooms :smile: I was just teasing about Jaymes anyway, but don't you get an "Alice in Wonderland" feeling about how this whole thing has taken off? I feel like the White Rabbit saying "I'm late I'm late, I'm late for Varmint's pig pickn' date" :biggrin: Besides, I told you I plan in advance. I just emailed my ex with our holiday dates for next year :blink:

Marlene

Most current list of attendees:

Hscottk is very interested (where are you located?)

I'm in Weehawken, NJ, which is essentially the mouth of the Lincoln Tunnel (what a lovely visual that must be...).

Oh, and my birthday is on Columbus Day this year. I really can't think of anything better than giving the gift of pork (well, perhaps receiving it...)

My wife and I will be driving from SE Michigan to Ashville for a weekend party with my 88 year-old parents at the Biltmore Inn at the Biltmore Estate on 10/11. Their 65th wedding anniversary! They live in Charlotte. I'll see if they would rather party with this crowd... I'm sure that dad would! :wacko:

Sam

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!

First, I suggest everyone look at Ellen Shapiro's wonderful photos of the Big Apple Barbecue Block Party at this thread: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...4&t=21710&st=0&

Fat Guy did a solid job describing NC barbecue and how subtle this style of pig is. I'm in a highly Pavlovian mood right now.

As far as the number of pigs are concerned, we'll do one. Right now, we'll probably have about 40 to 50 eGulleteers. After friends and family, we may have 100 to 125 people. A 125 pound pig would take care of that, but if we need a larger one, so be it. Heck, Mrs. Varmint has already given me the blessing to brine the damn hog in one of our bathtubs (god, won't the photos be awesome???), so this will be an incredible experience. I've never brined a whole hog before, and I doubt it's something practiced by any pitmasters in the State, so it should be interesting.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Heck, Mrs. Varmint has already given me the blessing to brine the damn hog in one of our bathtubs.....

Hmmm..... brined rubber ducky.....

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Howdy y'all.

Just a quick update on the hotel info.

I've been chatting up several local spots, doing a little investigation, and have a really good bid. We're just "firming up" the final arrangements now.

By tomorrow, all of the information should be posted right here, as well as how to make your reservation, etc.

Should tell you that I did investigate several of the B&B's and that didn't work out at all.

In order to get the group rate that we have negotiated, we will need to book a minimum of 10 rooms, so I'm sure we'll all appreciate it if everyone tries to stay at the same place.

The final details will appear here tomorrow.

Meet 'ya here.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Howdy y'all.

Just a quick update on the hotel info.

I've been chatting up several local spots, doing a little investigation, and have a really good bid.  We're just "firming up" the final arrangements now.

By tomorrow, all of the information should be posted right here, as well as how to make your reservation, etc.

Should tell you that I did investigate several of the B&B's and that didn't work out at all.

In order to get the group rate that we have negotiated, we will need to book a minimum of 10 rooms, so I'm sure we'll all appreciate it if everyone tries to stay at the same place.

The final details will appear here tomorrow.

Meet 'ya here.

Thanks for doing all the legwork, Jaymes! We sure do appreciate it. :smile:

Still trying to figure out if it's possible to come cross-country for this kick-ass party!!

~~~~~~~~~~~North Carolina Pig Pickin’~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, guys & gals, we’ve got some information for you.

After chatting with several Raleigh hoteliers, we have selected the Holiday Inn Brownstone. It is a very nice property. The following description is from the Holiday Inn website (which can be accessed via the link below):

“Fully renovated for 2002, we are the newest Holiday Inn in Raleigh. Our downtown location is next door to NC State University, and only 1 mile from the attractions and state government facilities of downtown Raleigh. We have 190 spacious well appointed guestrooms with all the amenities that our guests expect including: two line phones, coffeemakers, irons and ironing boards, data ports and voice mail. Our full service restaurant Ledo's has family friendly pricing in a comfortable atmosphere. Our lounge is open daily for your enjoyment. We have an outdoor pool and the adjacent YMCA provides all your workout needs.”

The Holiday Inn Brownstone also offers free local telephone calls, and free parking.

In addition, the hotel provides complimentary airport shuttles to RDU, so those that do not wish to rent a car can hop a free ride to the hotel. Varmint says that the hotel is within walking distance from his home (although a long walk, he says), but I am sure that there will be enough people available to share transportation.

The rate that we have negotiated is $67 per room, per night. It is a flat rate for a single or double. It does not include local taxes, which are 13%. This rate is for standard rooms. If you wish to upgrade to a suite, ask your reservation clerk for rates and availability. When you make your reservation, whether it is for a standard room or upgraded suite, please either post it in this thread, or PM me, so that I can keep a running total and coordinate it with the hotel to be sure our group gets credit.

We are holding a block of 15 rooms from Thursday October 9 through Columbus Day Monday October 13, a total of four nights. In order to get this special rate, we must use a minimum of ten rooms, and each person must stay a minimum of two nights. Should we drop below ten rooms/two nights per room, we will be subject to a rate increase.

We did check out several other properties. The B&B’s were too small to accommodate us. Someone had mentioned the Velvet Cloak Inn. The Holiday Inn compares very favorably with the Velvet Cloak and the bid from the Holiday Inn was considerably lower.

Each person will be responsible to secure his/her own reservations and for their own individual bill, including room charges and incidentals. In order to reserve a room, you can call the Holiday Inn Central Reservations toll-free number at 1-800-HOLIDAY, or the hotel directly at 1-919-828-0811. Tell the reservations clerk that you are part of the “Pig Pickin’” group. The group rate is not available for booking online.

In order to get this rate you must book and guarantee your reservation before September 25, upon which date any unreserved space will be dropped. Persons calling in after September 25th may not receive the special group rate. Unless a minimum of 10 rooms are reserved by September 25th, the hotel has the option to increase the rate, so all of us will appreciate it if those attending the Pig Pickin’ do stay at the Holiday Inn Brownstone.

The hotel’s general rules and cancellation penalties will apply. Check-in time is 3pm, although if your room is available you may be allowed to check in early. Check-out time is 12:00pm. YOU MUST CANCEL BY 4PM HOTEL TIME DATE OF ARRIVAL TO AVOID A CHARGE ON YOUR CARD.

~~~~~~~~So what’s to do in Raleigh?~~~~~~~~~

Sure the Pig Pickin’ sounds great, but is there anything else to do?

Raleigh lies in an area called “the Piedmont,” the heartland of North Carolina. It extends from the Atlantic coastal plains east of Raleigh westward toward the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The Piedmont contains rivers, lakes, woodlands, rolling hills, and picturesque villages that date to the mid-1700s. There are countless galleries, boutiques, and shops selling artwork, crafts, furniture and woodwork, and homemade and artisan foodstuffs such as jams, jellies and breads. The towns of Waxhaw, Cameron, Pineville and Matthews are devoted almost entirely to antiques.

Any duffers among us? There is talk of having an eGullet Pig Pickin’ Golf Tournament, which should be easy to do as the Piedmont boasts one of the largest concentrations of golf courses in the world.

Historic Winston-Salem is about an hour and a half west, and Old Salem, a restored 18th century village, offers museums staffed with period-costumed docents that provide a glimpse into a way of life in an earlier America.

Raleigh itself has many attractions worth a visit. The State Capitol was built in 1840 in the Greek Revival style, and restored in 1976. And Raleigh is home to the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences, North Carolina Museum of Art, and North Carolina Museum of History.

So there’s plenty to do!

(We are currently talking with some rental car companies to see if we can negotiate group rates there as well, and will post information as soon as we get it.)

Holiday Inn Brownstone

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

We all need to stand and give Jaymes a rousing ovation. That's great work, and the Raleigh CVB will be sending you their blue ribbon award soon.

As they say round here, "Jaymes is as strong as train smoke!"

I'll add some other "things to do" items as the event nears. In addition to barbecue and golf, we could arrange for mini-field trips to some local artisanal producers, including goat farms, dairy farms, apiaries, farmers markets.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Ahem.

Great story.  Ham biscuits are a staple here in North Carolina, but there are actually two different types.  Most of the restaurant/fast food places will serve the traditional biscuit made with self rising flour, soda, buttermilk & milk/cream, butter/shortening, and salt.  However, when done for catered events or brunches, you typically see angel biscuits, which are a bit lighter and less savory.  Angel biscuits also contain yeast, which transforms them tremendously.

Regardless, they're all yummy.  If there is ever a North Carolina eGullet get together, I'll be sure to supply the group with biscuits galore!

Put me in for a strong maybe plus Mr. Ladybug and three babybugs.  We're only an hour away and although I'm a bit shy, it seems a shame to miss out on something this neat.

I sure hope you do come. I'm greatly looking forward to meeting all you buggers.

It seems that Holly, Katie, Herb and Mummer are (at least. tenatively) planning to do some pig pickin'.

At Purdue we called it a hog roast, and that sucker was on an open spit. Never saw an apple. The joke was that the farmer sent his daughters to Bloomington and his hogs to Purdue.

Now that I've offended thousands of alumna, (sorry, but it's somewhere in cyberspace beyond almost all of them), I'd like to resolve a puzzle I've had since nearly being beheaded by a Cleveland Indians bp ball at Camden Yards.

We've got Vengroff and Varmint and we've Darren and Darrell, as I recall. Which is which? And what's that big comma thing about?

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Vengroff is Darren. Varmint is Dean. Mummer is Charlie. Holly is Hollister. hjshorter is Heather. Any more? As far as the comma thing, I'm not sure I follow. Please splain. Thanks.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Put me in for a strong maybe plus Mr. Ladybug and three babybugs.  We're only an hour away and although I'm a bit shy, it seems a shame to miss out on something this neat.

I sure hope you do come. I'm greatly looking forward to meeting all you buggers.

Thanks, Jaymes! :smile:

Jaymes, you are my heroine :biggrin: Wonderful work! We will be coming in on the Thursday morning, or Wed evening. Yes we golf, and that's one of the reasons we'd like to come in a day or two in advance.

Thank you Jaymes!

Marlene