• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

New Hampshire, Maine, and Texas are the leaders so far.  Now if Schielke or Mamster get involved, sorry folks!

Oh I hope they don't because then I risk rationalizing it too. Ditto Xanthippe, I'd reckon.

You reckon correctly, KNorthrup: Ditto me! The West Coast oughta be represented at this shindig, don't you agree?? :biggrin:

Folks, I do want to keep everyone's expectations in check here before you start booking cross country flights. First, I haven't cooked a pig in 12 years, so unless I get help from others who do it regularly (but are still willing to accept some particular guidance from me), the results of the final product are not guaranteed. Granted, Mrs. Varmint does now understand that I may be brining the porker in the bath tub for a night (I might have to get the head taken off to be sure it fits).

Second caveat: Fall is the perfect time for pig pickins, but the weather can be unpredictable. This will be a rain or shine event, and if I have to spend the money for a tent, so be it. However, we actually have had a hurricane or two go through here in October over the last 10 years. Thus, I'm probably not going to cook a pig in the middle of a hurricane. We'd just have to cook inside and get massively wasted.

Third: Raleigh is a fairly typical "new South" city: It's a huge, expansive, glorified suburbia. It's not a high density town and public transportation and cabs are not great. You'll want to rent a car. We can get cabs to get people back to their hotels, and if they stay in one of the closer ones to my house (I do live in a beautiful double wide, as any upstander southerner does :wink: ), they could walk the 1.5 miles to the hotel. Or they could crash on the floor.

By no means I am trying to put a damper on this event, but I want to operate under a full disclosure philosophy. I can arrange for meals in the area and other types of "field trips." I'll be happy to book tee times or spa ventures (only the finest red clay for your mud facial, ma'am). This will indeed be fun, but with the number of people coming, I want to make sure that all your questions are answered. Nuff said. Let's continue to plan this hootenanny.

V.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Folks, I do want to keep everyone's expectations in check here before you start booking cross country flights.  First, I haven't cooked a pig in 12 years, so unless I get help from others who do it regularly (but are still willing to accept some particular guidance from me), the results of the final product are not guaranteed.  Granted, Mrs. Varmint does now understand that I may be brining the porker in the bath tub for a night (I might have to get the head taken off to be sure it fits).

Second caveat:  Fall is the perfect time for pig pickins, but the weather can be unpredictable.  This will be a rain or shine event, and if I have to spend the money for a tent, so be it.  However, we actually have had a hurricane or two go through here in October over the last 10 years.  Thus, I'm probably not going to cook a pig in the middle of a hurricane.  We'd just have to cook inside and get massively wasted.

Third: Raleigh is a fairly typical "new South" city:  It's a huge, expansive, glorified suburbia.  It's not a high density town and public transportation and cabs are not great.  You'll want to rent a car.  We can get cabs to get people back to their hotels, and if they stay in one of the closer ones to my house (I do live in a beautiful double wide, as any upstander southerner does  :wink: ), they could walk the 1.5 miles to the hotel.  Or they could crash on the floor.

By no means I am trying to put a damper on this event, but I want to operate under a full disclosure philosophy.  I can arrange for meals in the area and other types of "field trips."  I'll be happy to book tee times or spa ventures (only the finest red clay for your mud facial, ma'am).  This will indeed be fun, but with the number of people coming, I want to make sure that all your questions are answered.  Nuff said.  Let's continue to plan this hootenanny.

V.

Yee-haw! (more or less :biggrin: )

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

V- Would you want me or Jim McGrath to bring our Weber Smokers or grills to do other stuff on? My bro and I do killer homemade sausage and grilled portabellas.

oink9.jpg

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

V- Would you want me or Jim McGrath to bring our Weber Smokers or grills to do other stuff on?  My bro and I do killer homemade sausage and grilled portabellas.

Let me repeat my mantra, Mark: "You can call me Jimmy, cuz I'll take what you gimme!"

Remember, however, that although the pig is supposed to be the highlight of this show, I think the more variety we have will cover for any possible let-down on my pig cooking skills. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

I assume you'll be here to start setting up on Thursday morning, right? :wink:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

How long is the drive from the DC area?  We drive to Charlotte from time to time, but I don't think I've ever timed it to Raleigh.

If it's more than four hours we'd better buy the minivan with the DVD before the trip.

I'd offer rides, but with a four-year-old and a one-year-old in the car I don't think I'd get any takers.  :laugh:

4-5 hours, depending on speed you drive and whether you catch the traffic of death coming out of DC. 95 to 85 to Raleigh. very ez.

s'kat-

I checked out your website, and if that's you and your hubby in the June Wedding photos, anyone who wears a fluorescent, ultrasheen jacket should be suspicious of no one!!!  :wacko:

All I can say is that my husband is proud of his grandfather's smart fashion sense. Those are real gems that have been passed on down the family line. Though, come to think of it, my husband had been the only one brave enough to wear them.

Thanks for the compliment, Rachel!

Back on topic... keep me on the maybe (and plus-1) list. I'm trying to get an idea of local hotels and prices. I think someone was going to try to get a group rate?

I sort of peer pressured Varmint into hosting this (he has often talked about his former pig cookin' days) and am starting to feel a bit guilty. I bet he has received a more enthusiastic response than he anticipated, and I fear cost may be higher than he expected. Never having cooked a pig or hosted an e-gullet fest, I don't know what he has signed up for. I agreed to make a modest contribution to the pig fund (emphasis on modest), but don't know if things have exceeded his expected budget.

So, Varmint, fess up. Are you ok with anticipated cost? Or, are we forcing you to dip into the lunch money need by the little Vermin? (Of course, that one little Varmint is pretty big, so maybe lack of lunch is not a problem for him)

I have no problem what so ever chipping in for this. In no way should Varmint be expected to pick up the cost for this shindig. :smile:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I'd kick in some scratch, but I was also thinking of contributing some sides and such. We could probably arrange to set up a roster for folks to bring other stuff like drinks, disposable flatware and dishes, condiments and munchies. We certainly have time enough to figure it out.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Umh, well, ah, can we talk about something else?

First of all, I appreciate y'all's concerns.

Nevertheless, please realize that this party is going to happen, no matter what. This is what I'm planning to do: Buy a pig, make the sauce, rent a cooker, buy some wood, make a few sides, and get a couple of kegs. As far as the cost is concerned, I haven't called for a single estimate of prices, as the price won't stop me. I'll worry about that later. Can it get out of hand? Sure, particularly if the weather looks bad and we need to rent a big tent. We could actually cram a shitload of people in the house, but that's less than ideal. However, I'm not planning on renting a bunch of chairs and tables. We'll ask people to bring those.

Anyhow, I'm not about to solicit donations or pass the hat. I appreciate peoples' concerns, and if someone wants to help out with sides or chairs or even some "scratch", to use Mark's term, that would be appreciated, but not expected. Let's just leave it at that. I hate it when money becomes an issue. In my view, it's pretty damn amazing that folks are already booking flights and hotels to come to a crazy pig pickin'.

We could easily have over a hundred people for this event. Yes, that's a big crowd, as I'm not going to limit it just to the eGullet crew. But that'll make it more fun – y'all can pick on the local red necks!

By the way, we're trying to see if there's any way to have Southern Culture on the Skids play at a local club Friday night. Website They're a blast. I'd see if they could play at the pig pickin' itself, but that would really send the cost into the stratosphere! Plus, there may be some noise ordinances that would prohibit them from playing outside. Nevertheless, this is a part of southern culture that should not be missed!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Back on topic... keep me on the maybe (and plus-1)  list.  I'm trying to get an idea of local hotels and prices.  I think someone was going to try to get a group rate?

Yeah, me.

Unfortunately, I'm kinda tied up until Thursday, but should have some good information by Friday.

Still months away, so there's time.

But on Friday, I am planning on posting news you can use.

To coin a phrase.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Well Jaymes, it looks like I won't need that news after all. :sad:

I'd forgotten already that my husband and I, and some friends, had rented out a B&B in the beautiful Virginia mountains, to attend the Virginia Wine & Garlic Festival, on the 11th & 12th of October.

Oh well. I'll expect to see pictures, at the very least.

Varmint,

I'd love to be able to attend. Unfortunately September, October and November are impossible for me. Our whole year is dependent on our sale the first week in November. I have to be guarding the homefront prior to it. I'm very jealous.

Porkpa

Varmint,

I'd love to be able to attend. Unfortunately September, October and November are impossible for me. Our whole year is dependent on our sale the first week in November. I have to be guarding the homefront prior to it. I'm very jealous.

Porkpa

We'll eat a rib for you and s'kat, porkpa. You can come down later for a game and some Allen & Son barbecue!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Man, I visited the Nahunta Pork Outlet at lunch this summer, and I think we should arrange a field trip to visit this glorified trailer when y'all come for this. First of all, it's on the grounds of the NC Farmers Market, which has 2 restaurants and tons of fresh produce. More importantly is what you can buy. Need a pig's head? Give the nice lady $9.49, and you'll have your very own. Mario Batali would be so proud!! They have ears, tails, trotters, hocks, chittlin's, chittlin loaf, liver mush, and plenty of other goodies. Lard can be purchased in 25 gallon containers. Oh, they'll get you whole pigs for pig pickins with 2 days advance notice. They're only $1.09 a pound if it's at least an 80 pound pig (and that's with the head off, making it a special bargain). I'll probably get a 120 pounder. Yee haw!!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

By the way, we're trying to see if there's any way to have Southern Culture on the Skids play at a local club Friday night.  Website  They're a blast.

This sounds great Varmint...they're a great band. Maybe try that Irish pub on the road parallel to Glenwood, can't recall the name right now. But I saw another band there a while back and they have lots of space, mult. rooms for people to mill around in there. Also they have a fairly active music schedule. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone in the mgmt of that place.

- Weka

"Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least."

- Goethe