• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

Just to let y'all know that I informed Mrs. Varmint last night that we'll likely be getting guests from across the continent. She responded, "eGullet?" She gave me a look that essentially said, "Are these people that food obsessed, or are they merely desperate for friends?" Fortunately, because the question was never posed, I never had to give an answer. Nevertheless, the final hurdle has been cleared, and it is officially on the Varmint Family calendar. Seeing people are booking flights and hotels already, this could be a bit of a crazy situation. Something tells me that I'll probably need to invite all the neighbors and pay off the local police force.

Again, if anyone has any access to moonshine, please bring it. Make sure that it's ethanol rather than methanol, please!

I can also make arrangements for some restaurant action while folks are here, too. We have some good low and high end places. I'll post specifics at some later date.

Finally, you should definitely try to get in on Friday, as the cooking and drinking will go on all day long on Saturday.

Let's roll. . . .

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Moonshine...hmmm will check with some folks further west of me in the hill country. I don't think they will let you make that stuff in Cary :wink:

Also, anyone up for bread pudding? I've tested it on a few southerners already and apparently it meets standards. Only problem is I have yet to find a local place in the Triangle that makes decent crusty bread that will actually go hard, if left out, not soft. Any ideas Varmint?

- Weka

"Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least."

- Goethe

I should be able to post some hotel rates by the end of next week. In order to negotiate decent group rates, one must haggle it out with the sales office of said property. And those folks usually are not in their offices on weekends. And perhaps not on Columbus Day, either. But by the end of next week, should know something definitive.

Watch this space. :rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Again, if anyone has any access to moonshine, please bring it. Make sure that it's ethanol rather than methanol, please!

Will place a call to Jack McDavid. On more than one occasion he has been kind enough to load me in his truck and drive me home from his restaurant after I spent the evening sipping from a coffee cup that contained not a whit of coffee.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Again, if anyone has any access to moonshine, please bring it.  Make sure that it's ethanol rather than methanol, please!

If you've ever drunk any real moonshine, it's hard to believe you'd want to get some for this gathering. Things could get crazy. I started to put up the name of a family to get hold of if you're serious, but then I remembered this is the internet. Good, crystal clear, smooth 'shine could result in some people just about going on an acid trip. It's soooo good, you've just got to have a little more. :smile:

I don't know how welcome eGullet newbies will be, but I'd like to come if they are. I've only helped with a few hogs, but I know my way around brisket and pork shoulder pretty well.

Jim

We are now officially, offically in. I asked hubby on the weekend if he wanted to go, and he said, sure why not? :cool: . The plan right now is to fly in Thursday, perhaps golf on Friday and pig pick on Saturday. Yahoo!

:biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Moonshine...hmmm will check with some folks further west of me in the hill country.  I don't think they will let you make that stuff in Cary  :wink:

Also, anyone up for bread pudding?  I've tested it on a few southerners already and apparently it meets standards.  Only problem is I have yet to find a local place in the Triangle that makes decent crusty bread that will actually go hard, if left out, not soft.  Any ideas Varmint?

- Weka

Try some of the bread at Guglhupf Bakery in Durham. That might do the trick. Otherwise, you're stuck with the bread from Whole Foods, which isn't bad, but not great.

Of course, if you're making bread pudding, it would have to be banana bread pudding!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Again, if anyone has any access to moonshine, please bring it.  Make sure that it's ethanol rather than methanol, please!

If you've ever drunk any real moonshine, it's hard to believe you'd want to get some for this gathering. Things could get crazy. I started to put up the name of a family to get hold of if you're serious, but then I remembered this is the internet. Good, crystal clear, smooth 'shine could result in some people just about going on an acid trip. It's soooo good, you've just got to have a little more. :smile:

Feel free to PM me with that info, Nick!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I have checked with my accomplice, varmint, and we have decided to show up. All we need are the details and what you want us to bring or do!

That's great, HungryChris. Where are you located? We'll iron out details over the next couple of months.

By the way, Mrs. Varmint now wants to find someone with a small backhoe so she can dig a real pit in the weeds at the far end of the tennis court. She may actually get into this!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I don't know how welcome eGullet newbies will be, but I'd like to come if they are.  I've only helped with a few hogs, but I know my way around brisket and pork shoulder pretty well.

Jim

Of course you're welcome, Jim. Where are you located?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

We are now officially, offically in.  I asked hubby on the weekend if he wanted to go, and he said, sure why not?  :cool: .  The plan right now is to fly in Thursday, perhaps golf on Friday and pig pick on Saturday.  Yahoo!

Sounds like a great plan. Perhaps I could join you for a round of golf, if I get all the other items taken care of!

How about an eGullet golf outing? I'm trying to think of a place where you could get good chow. Of course, we could forget about the food and go down to Pinehurst, which is but an hour away. I could get us a good deal at Pine Needles, home of the Women's US Open next year.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

We are now officially, offically in.  I asked hubby on the weekend if he wanted to go, and he said, sure why not? :cool: .  The plan right now is to fly in Thursday, perhaps golf on Friday and pig pick on Saturday.  Yahoo!

Sounds like a great plan. Perhaps I could join you for a round of golf, if I get all the other items taken care of!

How about an eGullet golf outing? I'm trying to think of a place where you could get good chow. Of course, we could forget about the food and go down to Pinehurst, which is but an hour away. I could get us a good deal at Pine Needles, home of the Women's US Open next year.

That sounds great! We'd love to play golf with other egulleters :smile:

Marlene

We've been putting our heads together in The Heartland, and there's talk of attending. I 'd love to make my great-grandmother's peach cobbler. We will have a better idea of who us is once we check our calendars and make a few arrangements.

I'm up for golf, but am not sure whether you'll be up for my golf as I have had but a few lessons but can certainly keep the ball on the course :blink: So feel free to tell me to go jump regarding the golf gig. Maybe I can come and drive the extended bar golf cart around? I can dig up my mixed drink knowledge from the bartending class I took my senior year, first time at university. And I have a clean driving record.

If the Heartland contingent heads South, I hold to my promise on helping with accomodations, might involve padding the hardwood floors though as the bed supply is only slightly better than the cardboard and duct tape furniture. :sad:

- Weka

"Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least."

- Goethe

Geezzz.... I just had a bad follow-up thought on my last post...

Would employ in the golf cart, make me the mobile 19th hole?

- Weka

- Goethe

I'm up for golf, but am not sure whether you'll be up for my golf as I have had but a few lessons but can certainly keep the ball on the course :blink: So feel free to tell me to go jump regarding the golf gig.  Maybe I can come and drive the extended bar golf cart around?  I can dig up my mixed drink knowledge from the bartending class I took my senior year, first time at university.  And I have a clean driving record.

If the Heartland contingent heads South, I hold to my promise on helping with accomodations, might involve padding the hardwood floors though as the bed supply is only slightly better than the cardboard and duct tape furniture.  :sad:

- Weka

No, no! I am not exactly ready for the pro tour either! I only took up golf a couple of years ago, and I've only had a few lessons. I'm not very good, but I love to play. Fortunately, my husband is a patient man, so it's always a pleasure to golf with him. However, for those who are fanatical about the game, I'm not the right person to golf with :biggrin: Some come along Weka, we'll golf together. Who cares as long as we have fun! :biggrin:

Marlene

Don't know about that Holly, but I suppose the golf club is long enough.

However, the dutchman who first introduced me to golf on the shores of Ireland, just north of Dublin, seemed pretty pissed off when I started playing better than him on the second day, so maybe he was following your gambit.

Of course, my stealth reason for being there, was to take in the most excellent view of the sea. I should probably reclassify myself as a scenic golfer, or scenic driver :cool:

I still recall the abuse my colleague dished out to the dog that ran off with the only golf ball he hit onto the green with a single stroke that day. We officially quit because of the dog, but I have a sinking suspicion it had more to do with the nearly tied score.

- Weka

- Goethe

Marlene,

Invite accepted, pending all other things like food prep and classes. No clue on my schedule for the latter yet.

- Weka

- Goethe

I don't know how welcome eGullet newbies will be, but I'd like to come if they are.  I've only helped with a few hogs, but I know my way around brisket and pork shoulder pretty well.

Jim

Of course you're welcome, Jim. Where are you located?

I'll be coming from Concord, MA. I'll see what regional treats I can dig up between now and then. For starters, I have some Purple Loosestrife honey from a hive in my backyard. Perhaps some sausage from a little butcher shop up in St. Johnsbury, VT. Plenty of time to get things together. Don't even think lobster.

Jim

Jim

Yeah, let Jim be modest on his experience with smoking pig pieces, here's a picture of my Bro and a friend of Jims jawing away in front of Jim's trailor mounted Klose smoker at one of his Semi Annual Concord BBQs.

Pdrm0023.jpg

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

New Hampshire, Maine, and Texas are the leaders so far.  Now if Schielke or Mamster get involved, sorry folks!

Oh I hope they don't because then I risk rationalizing it too. Ditto Xanthippe, I'd reckon.