• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

I'm just wondering if there has ever been this much planning for an event that is nearly 5 months away???

You kiddin' me? You got married, didn't you?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'm just wondering if there has ever been this much planning for an event that is nearly 5 months away???

You kiddin' me? You got married, didn't you?

Let me rephrase that question (although we got engaged in September and were married in February):

Has there ever been this much planning for a pig pickin' (or an eGullet get together) that's 5 months away?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

By the way, y'all, we will have a prize for the attendee who travelled the greatest distance to attend.  I just need to think what that is.

Wow, a prize? I just might win!!

So what if my mama's no longer in Durham (with all due respect to her, of course)?!? Perhaps I can find a way to make it to the pig pickin' . . .

Attending this event would make me happier 'n' a pig in shit! :wink:  :biggrin:

Sounds like we've got a country person here and one that's throwing down the glove for the long distance prize. Maybe I'll have to reconsider. What's that prize, Varmint? :biggrin:

What's that prize, Varmint?  :biggrin:

You mean, other than the chance to meet me? :wacko:

I've got plenty of time to figure that one out. New Hampshire, Maine, and Texas are the leaders so far. Now if Schielke or Mamster get involved, sorry folks!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Don't worry, Marlene.  It's not that good of a prize!

Did you book your flight and hotel yet?

That's not the point. :wink:

I've just started looking at hotels. I'll likely book the flight over the weekend. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Here's the latest update (am I really updating the attendee list on a daily basis for an event 5 months away????):

hjshorter

ZebA

Marlene

vengroff

Jaymes

=Mark

maggiethecat

Holly Moore

KatieLoeb

Malawry

edemuth (??)

Dave the Cook

kpurvis

s'kat (??)

dlc

Mummer

claire797 +2 (??)

herbacidal (??)

Blondie

ditsydine

NewYorkTexan (??)

Jason & Rachel Perlow

Tommy is "in", which means he's probably out but would like to be in.

Nickn from Maine realized it's a thousand miles, but is reconsidering.

Xanthippe may be susceptible to peer pressure, even if she does live in New Hampshire.

timothycdavis may be in if kpurvis gives him a ride and she doesn't kill him on the way.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Okay, I'm going to try to block some group space at a suitable hotel nearby.

Of course, we'll look for one with a bar. :biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'll make sure I have a color-coded map with all the hot nightspots. Although ZebA may be a better resource, as he doesn't have any kids and still loves the nightlife. He loves to boogie.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

You ought to invite Tony Bourdain & Co. down to film a "NC Pig Pickin'" episode of Cooks Tour...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

You ought to invite Tony Bourdain & Co. down to film a "NC Pig Pickin'" episode of Cooks Tour...

Great idea! We'll do it when we see him, right NYT???

Consider me in regardless -- it's a short drive, and I have a place to stay in Chapel Hill (and a driver -- she's my girlfriend) if the adult beverages get out of hand.

Assuming they get in hand first.

:biggrin:

Edited by timothycdavis (log)

Timothy C. Davis

Charlotte, NC

timothycdavis@earthlink.net

www.themoodyfoodie.com

www.cln.com

www.southernfoodways.com

He was recently in NC for a barbecue segment of Cooks Tour, but it appears that episode may have been scrapped.

This would be more fun.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Consider me in regardless -- it's a short drive, and I have a place to stay in Chapel Hill (and a driver -- she's my girlfriend) if the adult beverages get out of hand.

Assuming they get in hand first.

:biggrin:

You're now counted as "in." It should be pretty damn interesting.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Xanthippe may be susceptible to peer pressure, even if she does live in New Hampshire.

Mr. Varmint, sir, it's my mama who lives in New Hampshire -- I live on the Central California coast. Pretty far from pig pickin' country, don't you reckon?!? :wink:

If they'll let me out of the anatomy lab at State I'll be there. Shame we are doing 3 dogs and a cat fall semester. Pig is in the spring with the other farm animals.

We landed in Cary, NC, officially today, closed on a house while I was still recovering from last night's Heartland outing up here in Chicago. Gotta love power of attorney and a husband who can sign his name, over and over and over and...

If anyone needs directions to furniture fantasy land out west in high point we can help as we hail from between High Point and Greensboro last.

So northeast Cary puts us within spitting distance of that citadel-like Raleigh beltline. But I'll be able to play tennis on our neighbourhood court without confusing the white lines with fat streaks and ashen trails :raz: Do you have any lawn left Varmint or did you trade it in for the court? I guess one must have his priorities. We're working on non-poly bute pipes at the moment. You wouldn't believe the crap they plumb southern houses with even the bats flew out of our crawlspace in disgust :wink:

We can not, and I repeat not, call that pig Wilbur!

Due to imminent proximity we can likely provide an auxiliary kitchen, double ovens, wet bar and five burner gas range (hob for the Brits) anyone? We might even be able to provide some accomodation, although our chairs may be bouncy balls from Toys R' Us and the tables one step down from prefab, read converted box cartons with artistic as well as structural application of duct tape. All of course laid out on inlaid hardwood floors. Not sure we have our priorities straight! But there is a jacuzzi tub, a shower with dueling showerheads and three bathrooms INSIDE. There is also a pool somewhere about OUTSIDE, but have yet to find it. And due to the last owner having a real Picasso, unlike my poster from the MET, as well as some one of a kind grand pianos, this joint has humidity control. So what is a good % humidity setting to complement the air conditioning in the height of the NC summer? Likely it will still need to be on in Oct.

So a long winded count me in +1...

Oh, and I just may know a banjo player.

- Weka

"Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least."

- Goethe

Suh-weet! Welcome to the southlands, weka. I'm sure you've already heard that "Cary" stands for "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees." I had to live there for 3 years before they let me in Raleigh.

No, we have no lawn. Or, as Jed Clampett might have said, we just have a "cement lawn." The court's been in place for 30 years.

Our house is a stone's throw from the Whole Foods on Wade Avenue, so you're likely to be very, very close to us. Maybe too close, based on what I heard from the Bourdain fest. :raz:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Suh-weet!  Welcome to the southlands, weka.  I'm sure you've already heard that "Cary" stands for "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees."  I had to live there for 3 years before they let me in Raleigh.

No, we have no lawn.  Or, as Jed Clampett might have said, we just have a "cement lawn."  The court's been in place for 30 years.

Our house is a stone's throw from the Whole Foods on Wade Avenue, so you're likely to be very, very close to us.  Maybe too close, based on what I heard from the Bourdain fest. :raz:

Varmint,

C.A.R.Y. yep onto that one thnx and just had to slight it as the contemp. house fell out of the twister a mile or so wrong side of your fair city's line. Went blind looking at all those trad. houses and even worse transitionals pretending to be contemporary.

No worries on that contained bit though, hasn't worked anywhere else yet and the fortifications are self-imposed and virtual to all but the inmates within, I believe. 'sides am only about a third yank rest is midwest and internat. mongrel. Certainly, my husband is just a plain old foreigner, from a far away faery land called Yorkshire...he'll probably try to bring singed peat on a Doc Martin to this shinding. :laugh:

Cement lawn is cool! We have mainly trees and since they won't let us have a mini-prairie, we plan to ditch the strip of lawn, if the neighbours don't kick up a fuss, and put in a garden of some sort. Hubbie would want a flagstone patio as they don't do decks where he's from. No lawnmowers for us! Just have to find my way around the architectural, or is it, landscape subcommittee, can't believe the rules they have in Cary, like a pack of lawyers relo'ed together from the great North and set up a residential law firm.

So count me and my husband in and closer to the date we can pitch in with additional concrete, as opposed to cyber-planning and set-up.

By the way was just an innocent bystander at that Chicago gig, playing the Jetson's pinball machine with a nickle on a string in the corner of the room, far from the cat fight at the milkcrate bar. Also spent a bit of time checking out the handiwork on the dog's front, right amputation as well, was strange technique with creative relief. Got to go look that one up in a book, could revolutionize vet. surg.

So no worries, mate-

Weka

"Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least."

- Goethe