• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

If Jaymes is in, I'm in.

Blondie! And Claire! And Maggie! And Marlene! And Katie! OMG - a Chickfest! How incredibly FUN!!

Okay - let's coordinate outfits - what should we all wear???

:rolleyes::biggrin::laugh:

Daisy Duke shorts and halter tops?

Is is a pig pickin, after all. :raz:

That's right. And I'd better lose some weight. Either that, or at the Pig Pickin' be sure that I keep moving, lest someone shove an apple into my mouth.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

That's right.  And I'd better lose some weight.  Either that, or at the Pig Pickin' be sure that I keep moving, lest someone shove an apple into my mouth.

:laugh::laugh: You and me both.

I haven't worn hot pants since Dukes was still on TV. :blink:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

That's right.  And I'd better lose some weight.  Either that, or at the Pig Pickin' be sure that I keep moving, lest someone shove an apple into my mouth.

:laugh::laugh: You and me both.

I haven't worn hot pants since Dukes was still on TV. :blink:

Me either.

And even THEN, mine were more 'lukewarm.'

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Well, I ran the idea by Mrs. Varmint, and she had no objections. She asked me who would I invite, and I merely responded "A bunch of people. We'll try to get a good mix of folks."

Looks like that's a go to me!

See y'all in October. I will not be wearing hot pants.

But then, I usually don't wear pants at all! icon8.gif

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

"A bunch of people. We'll try to get a good mix of folks..."

Brilliant response, V (if I may call you that).

And later you can add, "...from all across the continent."

:biggrin:

Varmint, currently I need to be on the 'maybe' list as well. I'm still trying to broach the idea to my husband, who is extremely suspicious of the internet in general, and these 'wacky message boards' I talk about, specifically. :wink:

I've got a few months to warm him up to the idea. . .

Varmint, currently I need to be on the 'maybe' list as well.  I'm still trying to broach the idea to my husband, who is extremely suspicious of the internet in general, and these 'wacky message boards' I talk about, specifically.  :wink:

I've got a few months to warm him up to the idea.  . .

my husband too! I'm working on it though :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Yes, y'all do have a little time to bring up the idea to your husbands. We can provide them with our resumes, a full collection of family photos, and a letter from our bosses (and our wives) demonstrating that we're fairly decent chaps.

Regardless, this pig pickin' will happen. A 100 pound pig will serve 100 people. If only 50 show, we'll have lots of great barbecue in the freezer!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Varmint, currently I need to be on the 'maybe' list as well.  I'm still trying to broach the idea to my husband, who is extremely suspicious of the internet in general, and these 'wacky message boards' I talk about, specifically.  :wink:

s'kat-

I checked out your website, and if that's you and your hubby in the June Wedding photos, anyone who wears a fluorescent, ultrasheen jacket should be suspicious of no one!!! :wacko:

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

If Varmint is not wearing hot pants, I'm not sure if I can make it. :unsure:

Can a Varmint be a "decent chap"?? :laugh:

Ladies, I promise he is not scary. I've hung out with him a few times now, and my husband didn't have to be convinced to let me do so despite the rascally username. Varmint is a Southern gentleman, even if he is originally from somewheres above the Mason-Dixon line.

Will Mrs. Varmint and the Li'l Varmints be in attendance? And if Mrs. Varmint is attending, will you be preparing anything special for her? (She doesn't eat pig, right?) I was actually pondering vegetarian dishes I could bring to help convince my sweetie to come along with me.

If Varmint is not wearing hot pants, I'm not sure if I can make it.  :unsure:

Can a Varmint be a "decent chap"??  :laugh:

Ladies, I promise he is not scary. I've hung out with him a few times now, and my husband didn't have to be convinced to let me do so despite the rascally username. Varmint is a Southern gentleman, even if he is originally from somewheres above the Mason-Dixon line.

Will Mrs. Varmint and the Li'l Varmints be in attendance? And if Mrs. Varmint is attending, will you be preparing anything special for her? (She doesn't eat pig, right?) I was actually pondering vegetarian dishes I could bring to help convince my sweetie to come along with me.

Glad to hear you got this month's check, Malawry!

Yes, the entire Varmint family will be in attendance. I'll throw some chickens in the cooker, so the non-red meat eaters will have something to chew on. As for the vegetarians, we'll have plenty of side dishes, I'm sure. I don't need to throw fatback into everything we make! Bring that boy along!!!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

By the way, y'all, we will have a prize for the attendee who travelled the greatest distance to attend. I just need to think what that is.

Ditsydine, I don't think you'll be winning that prize, buy you're equally welcome!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Varmint, currently I need to be on the 'maybe' list as well.  I'm still trying to broach the idea to my husband, who is extremely suspicious of the internet in general, and these 'wacky message boards' I talk about, specifically. :wink:

s'kat-

I checked out your website, and if that's you and your hubby in the June Wedding photos, anyone who wears a fluorescent, ultrasheen jacket should be suspicious of no one!!! :wacko:

[off-topic] The blue coordinated outfits weren't bad, but him in the orange-yellow swirly jacket while she's in that red-peach-mauve, equally swirly number, now that's dizzifyingly clashy! Beautiful wedding dress though. [/off-topic]

Is this a single or multiple day event? I have a general rule of thumb about not attending events that don't last as long as it takes to travel to them... :unsure:

I know at the other pig roasts I've attended it took the better part of a day just to cook the darn thing, and members of the BBQ list that attended were more than happy to chip in during the smoking. Of course that hog weighed in at over 200 Lbs fully dressed, and it was smoked over hardwood coals that had to be tended all night.

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Is this a single or multiple day event?  I have a general rule of thumb about not attending events that don't last as long as it takes to travel to them...  :unsure:

I know at the other pig roasts I've attended it took the better part of a day just to cook the darn thing, and members of the BBQ list that attended were more than happy to chip in during the smoking.  Of course that hog weighed in at over 200 Lbs fully dressed, and it was smoked over hardwood coals that had to be tended all night.

Mark, if you're going to come down, I'll make it a multiple day event! That's because I'd be happy to tap into your expertise of all that is smoked.

I doubt we'll be doing a pig that large, although by the time it rolls around, Mrs. Varmint might very well want me on the coals.

We'll try to work with the local Chamber of Commerce to take care of everyone's concerns.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

If Jaymes is in, I'm in.

Blondie! And Claire! And Maggie! And Marlene! And Katie! OMG - a Chickfest! How incredibly FUN!!

Okay - let's coordinate outfits - what should we all wear???

:rolleyes::biggrin::laugh:

Look out egullet, the Girls are comin to town. :biggrin:

Please, please no hot pants! But by all means, let's coordinate - (hot pink is not really my colour :unsure: )

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Are there any hotels nearby?

Hotels? We don't need no stinkin' hotels!

Raleigh is a fairly cosmopolitan town, so we might be able to find a double wide for you to rent for a night or two.

Seriously, though, there are plenty of hotels that are less than 5 minutes away. There's nothing truly within walking distance, but we can work something out.

Anyone may PM me if they want specifics on the location of my house and availability of hotels. We do have a bit of time to work out the logistics, fortunately.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

It was exactly that jacket that made me think that he should fear no one.

Watch it. S'Kat's on the road heading for Raleigh. She may stop by and open a big can o' whoopass on you if she gets wind of this.

Bring it on, girlfriend. T'ain't really a pig pickin' without a drag out fight. And if Mrs. Varmint gets involved, mmmmeeoowwww!

By the way, I can assure you that Mrs. Varmint will NOT be wearing pink. I don't think she has anything that is pink. Y'all need to remember that I bought Mrs. Varmint a chain saw for her birthday earlier this month. She's more comfortable in sweat pants and Chuck Taylor high tops than anything else. She's never worn make up or perfume a day in her life. And she can kick my ass (or so she thinks!).

Dean McCord

VarmintBites