• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

OK - this sounds like WAY too much fun. If Holly decides to go a'eatin' thereabouts afterward, and I could bum a ride northward either to Philadelphia or another major metropolitan area that has a train connection to said city of Brotherly Love, I am all over this Pigfest weekend. I will happily sing out of tune, help bus the crap to the trashbags, and play bartender for the weekend to earn my keep. And I do mix a fine cocktail if I do say so myself...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

If my passport that allows folks from the TN side of the mountains into NC is still good, may wife and I will be there. What about some green tomato relish or hot chow-chow for the pig. Varmint so you still cook them overnite? My brother in eastern NC starts late in the evening before the event. It makes for a great happy hour as you fire up the pig. I agree that the porkster has to have a name to cook perfectly.

Maybe I could get a good bluegrass band?  Or even a mediocre one?

I'm in.

If Nick brings his guitar, and tommy hauls in his kit, we've got the start of a band -- and I doubt that mediocre would be overstating it. Is it too much to hope that there's a banjo player somewhere on eGullet?

Dave, If Tommy brings his "kit" aren't we talking drums here? I mean that's the difference between me bringing a Telecaster and a Martin.

But seriously, I wrote in haste up above. It all sounds so good, but the next day I thought about how far it is from Maine to NC. Daunting drive. If MA, CT, NY, and NJ weren't in between it would be a piece of cake. But........

And then, Varmint, since I'm a kind of logistical person, if all kinds of people are crashing in the house, what happens the next morning when that natural urge takes front stage and there's the rush to the bathroom? :biggrin:

And then, Varmint, since I'm a kind of logistical person, if all kinds of people are crashing in the house, what happens the next morning when that natural urge takes front stage and there's the rush to the bathroom?  :biggrin:

Aren't you just a silly ol' fussbudget.

I have it on very good authority that Varmint has already contracted for six porta-potties to be installed (temporarily, of course) on his front lawn.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I have it on very good authority that Varmint has already contracted for six porta-potties to be installed (temporarily, of course) on his front lawn.

i don't need no stinkin' port-o-pottie. the front lawn has always worked for me. tennis courts, too.

i don't need no stinkin' port-o-pottie. the front lawn has always worked for me. tennis courts, too.

I have actually rented a port-a-potty for one pig pickin. Unfortunately, we don't have a front lawn, as it was paved over ages ago for the tennis court (we really do have one, strangely enough). We've got 3 bathrooms (inside, too!), plus the outhouse (it is NC, you know).

Nickn, yes, Maine is a long ass haul. We drove up there for our summer vacation last year -- try doing that with 4 L'il Varmints. What fun.

I still haven't found the appropriate moment to bring this pig pickin' thing up with Mrs. V. Seeing I just got back home from a weekend of debauchery, I'll wait a day or two. This is going to happen, folks, so start your planning now!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I still haven't found the appropriate moment to bring this pig pickin' thing up with Mrs. V.

I don't see a problem....

Start off like this, "Hon, I was thinking about having a barbecue in the backyard - not right away - maybe sometime in the fall after it gets cooler - you know, invite a few friends over - what do you think?"

:laugh:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

"Sweetie, I'm going to have a dinner party with a few friends. Oh, by the way, I'm also inviting about 20 or 30 people whom I've never met. Yes, dear, they're my 'cyber-friends', but I don't think any of them are child molesters or axe murderers. I'm not quite sure about that tommy guy, but he never shows up anywhere."

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

"Sweetie, I'm going to have a dinner party with a few friends.  Oh, by the way, I'm also inviting about 20 or 30 people whom I've never met.  Yes, dear, they're my 'cyber-friends', but I don't think any of them are child molesters or axe murderers.  I'm not quite sure about that tommy guy, but he never shows up anywhere."

I've been picturing myself having the same conversation with my husband: "Sweetie, let's fly to Raleigh in October for a barbeque with a bunch of peoplle we've never met, but are very nice" :blink:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

"Sweetie, I'm going to have a dinner party with a few friends.  Oh, by the way, I'm also inviting about 20 or 30 people whom I've never met.  Yes, dear, they're my 'cyber-friends', but I don't think any of them are child molesters or axe murderers..."

"I do know that they're very fond of food, so if one of them is planning to murder us all, at least they'll wait until after dinner....."

"I do know that they're very fond of food, so if one of them is planning to murder us all, at least they'll wait until after dinner....."

The guy with the fava beans and a nice Chianti might do it before dinner.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

The guy with the fava beans and a nice Chianti might do it before dinner.

Now that would be an interesting barbecue!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Varmint, it's a long way (and time) away. But if Holly and Katie can make it from Philly, I probably can, too. Katie told me about your plans at our DDC dinner at the Persian Grill last night.

I've been in the last five Baltimore Columbus Day parades. I need a break!

I'll bring my squeezebox, of course, and I'd probably bring some piano-like electronics, too.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Here's the most current list of attendees:

hjshorter

ZebA

Marlene

vengroff

Jaymes

=Mark

maggiethecat

Holly Moore

KatieLoeb

Malawry

edemuth (??)

Dave the Cook

kpurvis

s'kat (??)

dlc

Mummer

claire797 +2 (??)

Tommy is "in".

Nickn from Maine realized it's a thousand miles.

I have not counted spouses, fiancees, children, significant others, or blow-up companions. I have also not counted any of the non-eGullet folks.

As they said in the classic B-Horror Film, 2000 Maniacs (by Herschell Gordon Lewis), "We're gonna have ourselves a celebration!!!" By the way, 2000 Maniacs is about a group of Southern crazies offing a bunch of Yankees in quite memorable manners. It's about 3 steps below "Deliverance" in its portrayal of southerners.

Edit to add claire797

Edited by Varmint (log)

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

If Jaymes is in, I'm in.

Blondie! And Claire! And Maggie! And Marlene! And Katie! OMG - a Chickfest! How incredibly FUN!!

Okay - let's coordinate outfits - what should we all wear???

:rolleyes::biggrin::laugh:

If Jaymes is in, I'm in.

Blondie! And Claire! And Maggie! And Marlene! And Katie! OMG - a Chickfest! How incredibly FUN!!

:rolleyes::biggrin::laugh:

Daisy Duke shorts and halter tops?

Is is a pig pickin, after all. :raz:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Oh yes - please make sure I'm on the distribution list for the memo regarding matching outfits! I just hate it when no one tells me these things... :rolleyes:

I'm not so sure about the Daisy Duke shorts. I could probably get away with the halter top, but those all-day-wedgie hot pants might have to go! :laugh:

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol