• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

I could probably make it down.  But Varmint might slow cook me when I show up in my Blue Devil regalia.

Nah, but I might put you to work, as I'm kind of used to being many a Duke grads' boss!

Whatever.

Actually, just so everyone knows, not everyone in NC blubbers like a baby whenever they have to speak to the press. That's a UNC guy special.

I might suggest that everyone acquire a shirt along the lines of this We Agree With Roy and wear it to the big event.

As you can see, there will always be a strong Duke/Carolina/NC State rivalry down here. When it comes to barbecue, however, all allegiances get cast aside. There's something mighty powerful about smoked meat that causes us to be completely blind about any prejudices, including those of our respective alma maters.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I could bring some beans, but I make Mexican pinto beans and y'all like them sweet ones instead, right?

You can call me Jimmy, 'cuz I'll take what you gimme!

Beans actually aren't a traditional side dish with NC barbecue, but that won't stop us!

So, besides cole slaw, what ARE your "traditional sides"?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

If Jaymes is there, I'm there.   :biggrin:

Marlene! Girfriend! Me & thee, si?

Me and thee, three!

Oh man - is THIS gonna be fun!

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Yup, we're gonna have ourselves a down home hootenanny!

Slaw. Boiled taters. Brunswick stew. Hush puppies or corn sticks (I prefer the pups). Sweet tea (but something tells me something stronger might be served at this shindig).

I'll set a definite date once I run this by Mrs. Varmint. I forgot to consult with her first!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

May I bring the banana puddin' for dessert? This thread is making me homesick sumpin' awful!

And Sweet Potato Pie, too? Can we can we can we?

If Jaymes is there, I'm there.   :biggrin:

Marlene! Girfriend! Me & thee, si?

Me and thee, three!

Oh man - is THIS gonna be fun!

Oh yeah. Can't you just see it? :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

The pressure to cook that perfect pig might be unbearable if that many people come from so many places!

Hush puppies are a pain to cook if you don't have the right set-up, but I'll think about how we could do it.

I guess I need to start looking for places for people to stay!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

God, I love homemade pits.  I'll ultimately rent a traditional pig cooker and set up a separate fire box.  Plenty of beer to anyone who helps!

For beer, pork, and hushpuppies I'll build the firebox and help tend the pig. :biggrin:

But what's a "traditional pig cooker" down your way?

God, I love homemade pits.  I'll ultimately rent a traditional pig cooker and set up a separate fire box.  Plenty of beer to anyone who helps!

For beer, pork, and hushpuppies I'll build the firebox and help tend the pig. :biggrin:

I'll take all the help I can get!

Here's a link to a photo of a traditional pig cooker: Click for da Cooker

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I'll set a definite date once I run this by Mrs. Varmint.  I forgot to consult with her first!

Good idea. What's she going to eat, anyway?

I might have to throw a chicken or 7 on the cooker, too!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I'll take all the help I can get!

Here's a link to a photo of a traditional pig cooker: Click for da Cooker

That's quite a cooker. Never seen one like that before - made out of a 275 gal. fuel tank. Looks like it might work pretty good, but where's the heat and smoke from the firebox get into it?

I guess I need to start looking for places for people to stay!

I'z thinkin we could all just bunk in with YOU. Isn't that part of the "Coordinator's" duties?

:laugh:

Hush puppies or corn sticks (I prefer the pups).

Promise it will be hush puppies and I'll do my best to be there.

I suppose a side of fried chicken would be pushing things.

Holly:

If you're driving down from Philadelphia I'll share driving duties, gas and tolls with you! Sounds like a pretty good time to me...

Perhaps we could bring Tastycakes? :laugh:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'll definitely come, Varmint, and I bet the lovely and talented Edemuth will try to make it too. I'd just stay with my folks down the road in Greensboro and appear for the big event. I was going to suggest I bring hush puppies but despite testing about 12 recipes in the past two months I have the feeling Holly's are even better.

I was going to suggest I bring hush puppies but despite testing about 12 recipes in the past two months I have the feeling Holly's are even better.

What, me cook?

Oh no, that's not what I was saying. I was just indicating a preference for hushpuppies over those gawdawful cornsticks.

However, as Katie suggested, I'd be glad to whip up a batch of Butterscotch Krimpets. Plenty of room, Katie, though I may be up to my usual tricks and go on an eat-about for a few days afterwards. Glad to get you there at least.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

That's quite a cooker. Never seen one like that before - made out of a 275 gal. fuel tank. Looks like it might work pretty good, but where's the heat and smoke from the firebox get into it?

Generally, you start a fire in the cooker and a separate fire in a "fire box". You then put the pig on the cooker once the coals start to die down. You shovel in additional hardwood coals as needed. It's a labor intensive job. It's not exactly smoking the meat, as you do cook over direct heat, but if you get a good amount of fairly green wood, it puts out a ton of smoke.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

I was going to suggest I bring hush puppies but despite testing about 12 recipes in the past two months I have the feeling Holly's are even better.

What, me cook?

Oh no, that's not what I was saying. I was just indicating a preference for hushpuppies over those gawdawful cornsticks.

However, as Katie suggested, I'd be glad to whip up a batch of Butterscotch Krimpets. Plenty of room, Katie, though I may be up to my usual tricks and go on an eat-about for a few days afterwards. Glad to get you there at least.

Holly, don't worry, as I really would never make corn sticks. They are awful -- akin to sawdust with a touch of Elmer's glue.

I like my hushpuppies fairly soft, with a fair amount of wheat flour mixed in with the cornmeal, some onion, a touch of sugar, plopped into super hot oil. We can make 'em, it's just a matter of getting the gear set up.

As far as weekends are concerned, I could certainly do it on the Columbus Day weekend. Specifically, Saturday, October 11. For the Northerners out there who get the benefit of a three day weekend, you could have a long weekend. We don't celebrate Columbus Day much around these parts, but I think that would be a good weekend.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

mark, is the apple in the hopper just for show? seriously.

Yep!

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Why is the pig in the photo not wearing a baseball cap? I thought that was essential.

I'm pretty good at the spit-roast version, which I prefer to the pit version.

You need a small fire at each end, where the meat is, and a quarter turn every 15 mins.

Even better if you can build a a surround and a roof from corrugated tin, so its like a large oven.

Meat thermometer, a low fire and a lot of patience are essential.

A scaffolding pole and a couple of plasterer's trestles make a good improvised spit, and a couple of old wheelbarrow the firebox.

UK sides would be Buns (pig-in-a-bun), apple sauce, sage-and onion stuffing made loose so its almost a sauce. Paxo packet stuffing even. Maybe mustard. Cook the stuffing seperately. You can do it in the middle of the pig, sown up, but its hard to seal, and even harder to get it cooked through in time.

If you are doing it for large numbers (we did the local county fair for charity each year) cheat some, and have the pig on the spit mostly for show and the smell (irresistable), and cook off boneless loins round the back in a conventional cooker to carve and serve. Mix that with joints from the pig .

A pig runs about 90lbs on the bone, and feeds maybe 100 people with sides. Reckon 8 hours to cook.

You need a production line serving. One person takes the money ( food servers can't handle cash under UK hygine laws), several servers open the pre-sliced bun in a paper napkin and fill it, and one carving the meat from joints. Another person is cooking the next pigs, and carving off whole joints and and keeping the line filled..

Suckling pig is another matter. Since its smaller, the meat is not so deep, so its easier to cook all the way through before the outsice burns or overcooks.

Edited by jackal10 (log)

I generally allow a pound of pig per person. I'll not be doing a spit version, as that's a contraption that I'm not going to take the time to focus on. No doubt that it would do a good job, but I've had good success with the pig cookers.

Interesting side dishes.

As far as collecting money is concerned, I don't think that will be applicable here. Heck, if someone is going to come from Philly or Missouri, I sure as heck am going to give them a meal!

The way I've set them up before is that I start the big skin side (the back) up. After the cavity is good and smokey (several hours), I flip the pig (always a lot of fun, but I typically use a couple pieces of plywood to do it). During the first part half of the cooking, the juices run out. When that stops, I start basting the pig with my homemade dip, using a small mop. My closest friends (and those who have helped me) get the ribs, as they're done fairly early on. When the pig is done, we start pulling off huge chunks of pork, trying to mix in the brown meat with the white hams. I also try to mix in some of the outside cracklin's, as that adds good texture and flavor. I'll have a chef's knife and a cleaver going to chop some of it coarsely (I really don't like it overly chopped). I'll add a bit more dip/sauce to the chopped pig.

We'll have several tables set up to serve buffet style. Maybe I could get a good bluegrass band? Or even a mediocre one? Who knows, as I don't live on the quietest street in the world (although many of you will love the fact that my street is Dixie Trail -- how southern can you get?!).

Dean McCord

VarmintBites