• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Varmint's Pig Pickin'

Varmint

Zeb A has been hounding me on this, so it's time I give this its own thread. Simply put, if I were to put on an unofficial eGullet Pig Pickin' here in Raleigh, North Carolina, would any of you come? I'd slow cook a pig over hardwood, make several sides, and have liquid refreshments available. I'd do it on some weekend. I'd give plenty of advance notice. Zeb will pay for it.

We're about to hit the ultra-hot season, so it's unlikely that I'd do it before the fall. Early October would be a possibility. I could try and do it in June, but that's not a lot of advance notice, and it could be very, very hot. The bugs will be bad, too. I'd do this on my tennis court, so there's plenty of room to mill around.

So, who'd be up for this? I need a good show of interest before I could commit the time (and Zeb's money).

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

You have your own tennis court? :blink: If it was far enough in advance, I might be able to swing a trip

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Zeb will pay for it.

False, but I will contribute, subject to approval from The Boss.

McCord purports to be a master cooker, so this should be pretty good if there is sufficient interest.

Fall is better.

Marlene: Don't worry, he doesn't actually exercise on the court. he just uses it for pig pickin's and landing his helicopter

I don't suppose Raleigh is anywhere near Virginia? Hubby has to be in Virgina Sept 8 & 9 on a course, so I could just find a way to "hop" over. Ok, I flunked Geography :blink:

Marlene

I could probably make it down.  But Varmint might slow cook me when I show up in my Blue Devil regalia.

Nah, but I might put you to work, as I'm kind of used to being many a Duke grads' boss!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

If it's in the fall, I'm totally there.

By the way, where are you??? Right IN Raleigh? Are you the one that's in some small town, or is that Miss Stellabella?

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'd be tempted, the guy down in the tidewater of Va that used to throw the annual Oinksterfest we attended no longer does so. :sad:

Here's a pic of Dan Gill about to flip "Rufus."

gotoflip.jpg

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

If Jaymes is there, I'm there.  :biggrin:

Marlene! Girfriend! Me & thee, si?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

My goodness, Jaymes, you would win some sort of award to go that far.

Well, it may not be all "that far" by then. :wink:

If Jaymes is there, I'm there. :biggrin:

Marlene! Girfriend! Me & thee, si?

Si, Senora. Mas recipes por favor

Marlene

I'd be tempted, the guy down in the tidewater of Va that used to throw the annual Oinksterfest we attended no longer does so.  :sad:

Here's a pic of Dan Gill about to flip "Rufus."

gotoflip.jpg

God, I love homemade pits. I'll ultimately rent a traditional pig cooker and set up a separate fire box. Plenty of beer to anyone who helps!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

My goodness, Jaymes, you would win some sort of award to go that far.

Well, it may not be all "that far" by then. :wink:

Splain, please.

It's a long, sad, depressing, bummer of a story, but I may be moving to Springfield, MO, right soon. :wacko:

Fortunately, as everyone knows, Springfield is a sophisticated, artistic culinary mecca.

(Isn't it great how I haven't lost my sense of humor???)

:laugh:

Oops, I recall that now, Jaymes.  Springfield is still quite a haul from Raleigh, North Cackalacky.

My house is but a 12 minute drive from the airport, however!

I figure it's a long day's drive. Or two easy ones. Whatever. Sounds like it'll be worth it.

I could bring some beans, but I make Mexican pinto beans and y'all like them sweet ones instead, right?

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I could bring some beans, but I make Mexican pinto beans and y'all like them sweet ones instead, right?

You can call me Jimmy, 'cuz I'll take what you gimme!

Beans actually aren't a traditional side dish with NC barbecue, but that won't stop us!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Um, it's hard to cook in an airplane. What could I bring/do?

Marlene