• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food-Travel Advice

Mr Bittman,

I'm planning on a long Asian journey and am really psyched about the food possibilities. When you travel, do you tend to 'scout out' places, restaurants and such, or do you eat on the spur of the moment? I imagine that some of the best food you can find in a place like Thailand you just find by "following your nose." Any advice on how to find the tastiest places, or any stories about great finds?

Thanks!

I try to do MUCH of my scouting in advance – I 'meet' people in my destinations by e-mail, through friends or professional contacts, and I try not to go anyplace that isn't either recommended by two or three people or at least by someone I've come to trust. As you probably know 'the best place in town' is usually a lousy choice. And, increasingly, all cities serve a brand of international food that is completely uninteresting. So you need to either take a lot of chances or find someone who really knows good local food – and understands that's what you're looking for (not always easy).