• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Copper River Salmon Dinner @ Seastar

Thanks for the info, but have you eaten at Seastar? If you have not don't worry because it is the same insipid food that was done at Palisades and all the other RUI restaurants. You could not pay me the $98 to eat there. As for copper river salmon, I would go to Earth & Ocean, Mistral, 727 Pine, Flying Fish, etc. and leave the cooking to profesionals. Just my humble opinion.

Not to say your experience at Sea Star was not good, but I have heard from friends whose taste I trust, that Sea Bar is good. As I recall, you also didn't like Rovers in the past. I'm curious, if you are in the food industry, or a foodie civilian (like me)? :smile:

Further more, I had a very mediocre-sub par piece of salmon served to me at 727 Pine during their 25 for $25 promo in March, and I would not recommend that place, although I know other people who have had great meals there. So quality can vary.

Edited by Blue Heron (log)

While, I might not use such harsh words about Seastar, I did eat there one time and had a mediocre experience. I have not tried his salmon so I cannot attest to its quality. My food was ok, but somewhat uninspired.

The copper river dinner though, might be fun if you were made of money. I too would much rather go to Mistral. :blink:

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Lastsupper you are correct it is not fair to through out blanket statements without facts. I actually worked at an RUI property in my youth (yes, Blue Heron I am in the industry) and quickly developed a distaste for heavy cream sauces, crab/shrimp stuffed sole crusted with asiago or parmesan (or both) and served with a butter sauce and buttered vegetables. RICH, RICH, and RICH. A lot of the same philosophies are carried out at Seastar. Parmesan crusted halibut, stuffed sole, etc. Not my kind of food. I really can not understand why restaurants like this are so popular. This brings me to perhaps another topic in its self: the seattle food scene. Seattle really would like to sell itself as a food town. As anyone who travels a lot can atest to Seattle still has a long way to go. Not to say that there aren't any good restaurants in Seattle because there are. Unfortunately there are not many. And in your case Blue Heron I am sorry to hear that your experience at 727 Pine was sub par. I guess it just goes to prove that even good restaurants can occasionally go bad. As for my being in the industry, I think that it creates an ethical delema for me as to post or not to post. Because there is question for me I think that this will be my last post. Thank you all for engaging in this discusion, it has been fun. Happy Copper River Season! Since I will not be posting, can I lurk?

Malaika, well, I am also not keen on heavily creamed stuffed sole type of dishes (reminds me of the 80's). With that reference, along with your previous experience with RUI, I can see why you are down on Seastar and Palisades, if that is the type of seafood dishes they are serving. But without having the benefit of that reference in your earlier post, I also thought "insipid" was kind of strong, and prompted my earlier reply.

btw, lots & lots of people are in the food biz here. (and sorry, I didn't mean to discourage anyone from posting). Please keep posting! That's what keeps it interesting. :smile:

Malaika - you certainly aren't the only one to think that the Seattle restaurant scene is not all that it could be. You can read some other opinions and comments in this older thread: The Seattle Scene: how does it measure up?. And please do continue to post. I'm sure we would all love to have your insights from the inside.

Oh, and to stay on topic - I've also heard less than wonderful reports about Seastar. I think the comment that stood out for me was "worst dessert ever".