• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boardwalk Treats

WHT

Does anyone remember the fried clams at the Howard Johnson's in Asbury Park?

I'm not sure if these were exclusive to Asbury..I had them on Fridays during lent in New Brunswick..with 33?40? 18? flavors for dessert? Not sure, I always had choc marshmallow! Speaking of which that was my fav Kohr's flavor as well.

BEST BOARDWALK TREAT::: oyster shooters, Jenkinson's PPB!! Yahoo!

Does anyone remember the fried clams at the Howard Johnson's in Asbury Park?

That Howard Johnsons is still open!

I kid you not. I don't know how they managed it as the AP boardwalk area is a virtual ghost town. A couple years ago My bro and I were driving by and noticed the "Open" sign was lit. Decided to check it out so we went in and ordered a couple beers. The one guy working there turned on the lights and the heat after we entered. Just had the beers, not sure if I would want to get food there.

Hopefully with things picking up in Asbury they will be doing better business...

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

My sister and I worked at that Howard Johnson's in 1976. I'll bet the same family owns it. Their name was Panas, and they were a Greek family with many businesses on the boardwalk, including the Berkley Sweet Shop. I grew up in Asbury Park, so all my favorite boardwalk food is long gone. Taylor Pork Roll, Mr. Peanut(complete with guy in peanut costume), Ducky's (Hot Dogs)and Tammy's Pizza are just faded memories :sad: . I worked selling salt water taffy at Jonathan's sweet shop, and made cotton candy at the Waffle House.I used to go out to the bars with my hair all stiff from cotton candy. The summer I worked at the Waffle House, the waffle irons were broken, and the owners never bothered to get them fixed. So we used frozen waffles. That was the same summer that Elvis died :hmmm: .

Edited by HotCanary (log)

My sister and I worked at that Howard Johnson's in 1976. I'll bet the same family owns it. Their name was Panas, and they were a Greek family with many businesses on the boardwalk, including the Berkley Sweet Shop. I grew up in Asbury Park, so all my favorite boardwalk food is long gone. Taylor Pork Roll, Mr. Peanut(complete with guy in peanut costume), Ducky's (Hot Dogs)and Tammy's Pizza  are just faded memories :sad: . I worked selling salt water taffy at Jonathan's sweet shop, and made cotton candy at the Waffle House.I used to go out to the bars with my hair all stiff from cotton candy.  The summer I worked at the Waffle House, the waffle irons were broken, and the owners never bothered to get them fixed. So we used frozen waffles. That was the same summer that Elvis died :hmmm: .

That's a GREAT post! Maybe even great literature...

welcome aboard!!!!

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

That's a GREAT post! Maybe even great literature...

welcome aboard!!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome :wub: . I'm a timid poster, but I'm very sentimental about boardwalks in general, and Asbury Park in particular.

I find it so hard to believe that with Jersey shore property at such a premium, a great beach and boardwalk, like Asbury Park is just sitting and wasting. If it weren't for the indigent motels, Asbury would be a ghost town. This is a gold mine going to waste! I cannot believe that it can't be revived.

Asbury was once "the" place to go on the Jersey shore. Remember the Swan boat rides on the lake? Palace amusements, and the theater? And it has a great beach!

What a waste!

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde

• 4 weeks later...
I find it so hard to believe that with Jersey shore property at such a premium, a great beach and boardwalk, like Asbury Park is just sitting and wasting.  If it weren't for the indigent motels, Asbury would be a ghost town.  This is a gold mine going to waste!  I cannot believe that it can't be revived. 

Asbury was once "the" place to go on the Jersey shore.  Remember the Swan boat rides on the lake?  Palace amusements, and the theater?  And it has a great beach!

What a waste!

The revitalization has started. Take a ride up Cookman Ave. They have some big renovation and new construction projects going on and there are more and more popular restaurants coming to town. Moonstruck is one of the most popular restaurants in the state right now. There is a new Portuguese place on Main Street that is always packed. Give it 2 years and Asbury Park will be one of the top spots on the shore.

The Man, The Myth

TapItorScrapIt.com

The new Portuguese place TMTM mentioned is probably Bistro Ole, 230 Main St.

tel.: 732-897-0048. Chef is Will Vivas, formerly of Vivas on 5th Avenue. BYO, no reservations, they serve lunch and dinner. Food is wonderful, place is pretty, and it is indeed jammed most of the time.

The new Portuguese place TMTM mentioned is probably Bistro Ole, 230 Main St.

tel.: 732-897-0048.  Chef is Will Vivas, formerly of Vivas on 5th Avenue. BYO, no reservations, they serve lunch and dinner. Food is wonderful, place is pretty, and it is indeed jammed most of the time.

There is also Clementines, a New Orleans style bistro down on 5th between main St. and the railroad tracks, and Sonnys Southern Cuisine right on Cookman.

To say that it would be deserted except for indigent hotels may be true for areas several blocks from the beach front, but towards Main street and west of the tracks is a fairly diverse community that is in the midst of a major comeback.

After a quarter century on the suburban dust heap it should be interesting to see what direction this story goes.

Edited by =Mark (log)

=Mark

Vivas was where the folks that now run Bistro Ole started, on 5th St. half a block east of the railroad in Asbury. The food at Bistro Ole is quite good. The space where Vivas used to be is now occupied by Clementines, I've not been there yet. I like to give a new place a couple months to get their act together.

=Mark

It is apparent all you "easterners" have your favorites, but how about the west coast?

Personal favorite is the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. No particular favorite food, but the smell of funnel cakes and corn dogs is what I like the best.

Anyone else been there?

Hoagies from Donnelly's Deli in Avalon - they will put anything you want in them, and more! Not right on the boardwalk, but 2 blocks back...still counts I think...

As a side note - one time we took our hoagies onto one of those all night bluefish fishing trips - As we found out, most of the boat had been reserved by a group of Mummers from Phila, and they brought on at least a case of beer per person, that we counted.... The boat swayed all night, the Mummers drank and puked over the side of the boat all night - and we sat in a corner shivering and supremely nauseous, the first and only time in our lives... No bluefish were caught by any one on the boat... Oh and the hoagies, they were delicious!!

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

These posts take me back to my childhood spending hot summer days walking the boardwalk in Ocean City. I remember fudge from The Copper Kettle and Pizza from Mack & Manco. I worked the summer between my junior and senior years in high school (1979) at an ice cream place called Godshalk's. Using homemade hot waffles and ice cream, dusted with powder sugar, we made heavenly ice cream waffle sandwiches that were very popular. I then fell in love :wub: with the daughter of the family that owned Mack & Manco pizza, wrote to her for a while, and then never heard from her again. :sad: Ahh the wonder and heartbreak of being 17 again at the boardwalk in the summer! :biggrin:

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

In Ocean City I always get Johnson's popcorn - the caramel and peanut kind. There is nothing like it when it comes right out of the kettle.

The hamburger place ("hamburger construction company?") with the picture of John Wayne is where I go for lunch. I can't remember the name but when I say John Wayne hamburger my friends know what I mean (I don't even like JW very much).

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Rosie Posted on Jun 20 2003, 05:35 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome Hot Canary. I used to work at Mrs. Jay's in Asbury Park.

Wow! I really miss that place. We used to go every Tuesday night in the summer of 1976 to hear "Ryan & Faulkner" and drink many pitchers of beer. Remember those nights when the Pagans would line up all their Harleys out front down Ocean Avenue? People talk about saving the Stone Pony, but I was always a Mrs. Jay's kinda girl :smile: .

Edited by HotCanary (log)