• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boardwalk Treats

WHT

Be it Seaside, Coney island or AC, what are your favorite boardwalk foods? Is there one place that dose it better than others?

Living hard will take its toll...

Huge slices of pizza at the Sawmill in Seaside.

The place used to be ideal for drinking cheap beer and people watching of some of the ugliest people this side of Keansburg... :shock: Last time we were there the appeared to be in the middle of some sort of renovation. Am really worried that they are removing the comfortable neighborhood seediness factor. :sad:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Huge slices of pizza at the Sawmill in Seaside.

Don't forget the free orange soda with no ice. Also the cheapest Hot Dogs on the boardwalk.

One of several of my former employers from a misspent Youth.

It's not on the boardwalk per se, but there is a lady named Ms. Rooney who runs a Sabrett stand in Sea Bright on Ocean Ave. She's been there well over 30 years, I remember getting DWDs from her when I was a kid. I still frequent her stand every couple of weeks (She's there year round except for a few weeks in Jan/Feb).

=Mark

The A.D.S.2003 Seaside Special:

Start at the Sawmill for a few drinks(people actually eat that pizza???)...then onto the beachcomber for some clams....across the way for a cheesesteak at in my opinion the best of the boardwalk - the Seaside Steakhouse...then back for a huge slice at three brothers....after that walk it off all the way to the other end of the pier for a few more drinks at the Aztec...(sure beats work on a nice Summer afternoon!!!). I will leave out a certain gentlemens club on Route 35N in Neptune that usually breaks up the ride home as that can be a seperate discussion...interested in a day trip Tommy???

A.D.S.

Jersey shore girl, here. Fudge, Salt Water Taffy. In excess.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

from my jersey shore childhood: freshly roasted peanuts, overly salted fresh popcorn, caramel apples and candied apples. :smile:

jersey shore adult days: grilled hot dogs, french fries, steak sandwiches.

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

WHAT??!! No one has mentioned Cotton Candy.

The stuff they sell now on the Boardwalk in Point Pleasant Beach, already pre bagged, just isn't the same as the fresh spun. I remember seeing the paper cone swipe around the tub collecting wisps of cotton. You would wish that the counter person would keep going, not stopping until top was so heavy it would lean to one side. Wisps would fly out of the tub and you could grab them before they flew off to the beach.

Ah - summer.

WHAT??!!  No one has mentioned Cotton Candy.

The stuff they sell now on the Boardwalk in Point Pleasant Beach, already pre bagged, just isn't the same as the fresh spun.  I remember seeing the paper cone swipe around the tub collecting wisps of cotton. You would wish that the counter person would keep going, not stopping until top was so heavy it would lean to one side.  Wisps would fly out of the tub and you could grab them before they flew off to the beach. 

Ah - summer.

I was never a big cotton candy girl - too sticky! I remember watching them make it though. A fascinating process.

:cool:

Iris

GROWWWWWLLLLL!!

Grilled hamburgers with fried onions from the snack bar at the 4th avenue beach in Bradley Beach.

=Mark

is the "Char-broil" still on the boardwalk in Point Pleasant?  they used to have some fine burgers there.

Maybe the restaurant is still there, but reincarnated under another name. I don't seem to recall a Char-Broil anywhere on the Boardwalk. Do you remember where it was located?

Some of the counter type places serve OK burgers - and there's the upstairs place across from Martells that serves too. You can also grab a burger in Jenks. Aside from that, not really too many places on the boardwalk like that.

Boardwalk Fries.

And I remember ice cream sandwiches made with waffles and/or sundaes on waffles somewhere in Seaside. No idea where anymore, though; haven't been to Seaside in ages.

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

is the "Char-broil" still on the boardwalk in Point Pleasant?  they used to have some fine burgers there.

absolutely...they haven't cleaned the grill grid since your last visit, hence the fine taste! Todd, ...the glass is always half EMPTY new poster....do you really think PPB is differnnt form any other beach? Does everything SUCK to you? IS there a beach, town or restarunt that you like? You've made a great first impression on disliking things, and you seem sharp..please, tell us what you LIKE. ...and, either you have not been in a Park Ave parking garage in a while, or you are exagerating...$6...at the inlet, before 11am. :laugh::angry::shock:

edited to add a host of smiley's, to show that I am not trying to be hard on you, but rather trying to get to your more positive side! :wacko:

Edited by Kim WB (log)

Boardwalk Fries. 

And I remember ice cream sandwiches made with waffles and/or sundaes on waffles somewhere in Seaside.  No idea where anymore, though; haven't been to Seaside in ages.

It's been about 8 years since I was last there. I seem to remember 3 places between the piers that sold them.

Todd, ...the glass is always half EMPTY new poster....do you really think PPB is differnnt form any other beach? Does everything SUCK to you? IS there a beach, town or restarunt that you like? You've made a great first impression on disliking things, and you seem sharp..please, tell us what you LIKE. ...and, either you have not been in a Park Ave parking garage in a while, or you are exagerating...$6...at the inlet, before 11am. :laugh:  :angry:  :shock:

who cares. the guy hates everything. and he can't form a thought. and i'll make no apologizies for any comments that i'll make to him. people like him bring egullet down.

Whenever I get to Seaside, I start at one end of the boardwalk and stop at every place that serves clams on the 1/2 shell for a dozen and a beer. Its an extremely rewarding way to spend a couple of hours. Great fresh clams and you get to compare the quality among the different stands. The experience lasts a year unless you get there early in the season.

Whenever I get to Seaside,  I start at one end of the boardwalk and stop at every place that serves clams on the 1/2 shell for a dozen and a beer.  Its an extremely rewarding way to spend  a couple of hours.  Great fresh clams and you get to compare the quality among the different stands.  The experience lasts a year  unless you get there early in the season.

Sounds like a great way to kill time. it brings back such sweet memories.