• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paint Sprayers

bripastryguy

Speaking with Tan we were discussing the Wagner. I have opted to start looking for a more durable (Professional) sprayer that uses a separate compressor but I have no idea what to look for.

Anyone use one? Which kind? Estimated cost?

Do you need to get one of those "jet-engine" looking compressors?

When I trailed at the Marriott in NYC they had a compressor that took up the whole bottom of the table and was very loud.

Any links?

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Speaking with Tan we were discussing the Wagner. I have opted to start looking for a more durable (Professional) sprayer that uses a separate compressor but I have no idea what to look for.

Anyone use one? Which kind? Estimated cost?

Do you need to get one of those "jet-engine" looking compressors?

When I trailed at the Marriott in NYC they had a compressor that took up the whole bottom of the table and was very loud.

Any links?

BPG,

my buddy at Ola has a CG (jet engine looking) spayer. I haven't had a chance to ask him yet about it. Pretty sure the compressor is on board though.

http://www.jbprince.com/product.asp?0=289&1=292&3=1521

Edited by tan319 (log)

2317/5000

Tan,

I have heard alot of poor reports on thst model. I think you can get it for half JB's price at Home Depot

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Tan,

I have heard alot of poor reports on thst model. I think you can get it for half JB's price at Home Depot

BPG

is the Wagner better?

talk to me about the info?

The Wagner certainly is cheaper.

Edited by tan319 (log)

2317/5000

The Campbell-Hausfeld sprayer you linked to on the Prince site is fantastic for the price. A HUGE step up, a HUGE improvement from the Wagner, which is a piece of shit. A lot of the top people--and especially those who have to do chocolate showpieces--have used this Campbell hausfeld for years and I still use it. And I've even bought a second gun for it so I can keep two colors or spray blends ready to spray without cleaning the gun. You usually can buy this model cheaper at Home Depot--but then it is easier just to add it on to a purchase order with the other stuff you're buying from Prince like molds and tools, etc. You also wouldn't get the "how to spray chocolate" instruction sheet from Prince if you bought it at Home Depot. (I wrote that instruction sheet btw.)

Spraying still has value for applications in volume kitchens like a shop or hotel, if you have to do cakes or banquet desserts or patisserie de main--little takeaways that you don't want to glaze. It also has value if you have to do centerpieces or showpieces. If you are a restaurant pastry chef and don't intend to do showpieces--you don't need it; you're money would be better spent elsewhere and on other equipment. It also has value if you do confectionery work--you can spray color or chocolate into molds very cleanly and nicely--blend them easily and much more efficiently than flicking color in off the end of a toothbrush.

What's the "model" that you've supposedly heard poor reports about? The model I use--the Campbell-Hausfeld EasySpray HVLP system rocks and is very lightweight. The separate compressor systems are more expensive and much more of a commitment, usually heavier and less transportable. So it's a trade off. Ewald had this huge torpedo like compressor that he wheeled around his school. It's micro-fine spray was more fine than the CH. Great for him, unworkable for anyone else. The challenge for you will be to find a small unit for under 250 bucks that works like an airbrush but sprays chocolate.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Steve,

since your reccommendations have been on the money. I am goggling the product you spoke about, they seem to have a few models. What is the model you use? I am in the process looking for a replacement to my wagner (yes it is shit, but it worked ok for 2 years) I plan to do more spraying so I need a better sprayer. Can the CH handle glazes?

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

I haven't used a paint sprayer for chocolate, but I used to do quite a bit of airbrush illustration work years ago. One problem I always had with compressors was they would suck moisture from the air and send it through the air hose, eventually ending up sputtering from the nozzle of the air brush. That's why I switched to using CO2 tanks - smooth consistent airflow, silent operation, no water condensation spattering onto my work and ruining it. I could see the water-in-the-hose issue being a real problem when working with chocolate. Do the commercial sprayers with separate compressors have technology to deal with it? And what PSI does it take to spray chocolate?

Night,

The new compressors for airbrushes have a sort of "moisture release valve, gauge" I just got one, havent unpacked it yet but will let you know how it works.

back to paint sprayers.................

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Night--spraying chocolate works best with "high volume-low pressure" so the one I have is 4 PSI and 54 CFM. And generally, it's more a function of thinning the chocolate mixture--with cocoa butter--just as one might have to thin paint before being able to spray successfully.

Steve Klc

chef@pastryarts.com

When I was at Notter's school a few of years ago, they were using the Campbell-Hausfeld. I liked it, and I bought one (Home Depot) shortly thereafter. I want to say it was about $150, maybe a little more. Within the last few months, a part turned up missing, and I have yet to replace it. Finer spray, less noise, more control.

So I still use the Wagner, too. Faster to set up and break down, and transportable- easy to box and ship if you are travelling.

Another tangent... somewhere in the last year year I read something from Norman Love about a sprayer/airbrush that hooks up to an aerosol-type can... Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Michael Laiskonis

Pastry Chef

New York

www.michael-laiskonis.com

Yeah Michael, you can hook your airbrush up to an aerosol can with an adapter. Good for short-term spot airbrushing, it freezes up if you use it too long. Might guess is this is what night was talking about.

Steve Klc

chef@pastryarts.com

Yeah Michael, you can hook your airbrush up to an aerosol can with an adapter.  Good for short-term spot airbrushing, it freezes up if you use it too long.  Might guess is this is what night was talking about.

Actually my CO2 tank isn't aerosol and looks like this:

CO2Tank.gif

Quite a bit heavier than an aerosol can, but a charge lasts a long time, the gas is very dry, and it doesn't freeze up. For airbrushing I use 20psi, but there is a pressure regulator, so I could take it down to 6 pretty easily. Someday I may try it out with a paint sprayer to see if it will work for chocolate. Thanks for the info. :smile:

what potential have the rest of you explored with the spray gun and airbrushes?

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman