• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Minimizing Complex Cuisines

You've mentioned Indian food in a few posts now. Do you think it's possible to apply the "Minimalist" approach of a few ingredients simply prepared to Indian cooking and have the result be "authentic"?

A related question: does authenticity matter to such an approach? Or is it all about what tastes good?

Thanks for the interesting and informative Q&A!

You've mentioned Indian food in a few posts now. Do you think it's possible to apply the "Minimalist" approach of a few ingredients simply prepared to Indian cooking and have the result be "authentic"?

I'm trying. And trying to learn. The answer is 'yes,' I'm sure it's possible. But I need to have a better feel for the cuisine, which is coming – but slowly.

A related question: does authenticity matter to such an approach? Or is it all about what tastes good?

I don't want to kill authenticity, but I sometimes wonder what it means exactly. I'm quite careful about preserving, or trying to preserve, what I perceive to be the spirit of a recipe. But there are times I may get it wrong.