• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iain

Minimizing Complex Cuisines

2 posts in this topic

You've mentioned Indian food in a few posts now. Do you think it's possible to apply the "Minimalist" approach of a few ingredients simply prepared to Indian cooking and have the result be "authentic"?

A related question: does authenticity matter to such an approach? Or is it all about what tastes good?

Thanks for the interesting and informative Q&A!

You've mentioned Indian food in a few posts now. Do you think it's possible to apply the "Minimalist" approach of a few ingredients simply prepared to Indian cooking and have the result be "authentic"?

I'm trying. And trying to learn. The answer is 'yes,' I'm sure it's possible. But I need to have a better feel for the cuisine, which is coming – but slowly.

A related question: does authenticity matter to such an approach? Or is it all about what tastes good?

I don't want to kill authenticity, but I sometimes wonder what it means exactly. I'm quite careful about preserving, or trying to preserve, what I perceive to be the spirit of a recipe. But there are times I may get it wrong.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0