• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stain Removal Secrets

Ellen Shapiro

How about those guys that flick their ties over their shoulder when eating lunch or dinner... :laugh:  I would rather splatter my Armani ties with grease and pay the $7.00 to get it dry-cleaned than look like a complete goofus while eating lunch in a restaurant... :smile:

I used to do that...but invariably the tie would come sliding back down at an inopportune moment and go splat! into my food.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

In Italy we pour white wine on red wine stains. Works very well.

Drench ink stains with milk, then wash in machine as usual.

Some say lemon juice will work just as well - haven't tried it.

Grease spots will be greatly reduced if immediately treated with salt grains, which will absorb most of the fat - but not useful on delicate fabrics, or synthetics.

Liquid and powder detergent paste works best as a pre-wash treatment, unfortunately not all fabrics can take it.

Oxyclean is great in TV ads, but it eats up the fibers as well as destroys colors.

We use Carbona Stain Devils (click). There are 10 formulations in small yellow bottles. For example, there is one for 'Fat, Grease and Oil' and one for 'Ketchup and Sauce' and one for 'Fruit and Red Wine' etc. They work wonders.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

For ink stains (I have a collection of fountain pens in varying stages of overuse), I use Amodex.

As for food or other stains on my clothes? Unless they're my interview clothes, the stains are worn with pride. I have bike chain marks on almost all of my pants (grease, and sprocket teeth cuts), biological stains on all of my lab coats, coffee stains on most of my shirts, and lipstick, wine, and beer stains on many others.

But, check this link from the Food Network on cleaning.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Someone suggested dish washing liquid. I have to agree. Many a dinner party has been salvaged with a squirt of Dawn or Palmolive applied undiluted to the stain in the first 30 minutes. Toss the the item in the wash the next day and voila- clean and unstained and the greasy/tomato-y blob just a bad memory!

Plus unlike all the other things it's always available even in a restaurant.

PS a shout sheet did the trick once too!

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

I carry packets of Shout pre-moistened towelettes in my purse. They have saved the day on more than one occasion, as well as saved the embarrassment of once again returning from lunch wearing evidence of my menu selection on my blouse.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

For grease/sweat stains on whites I recommend oven cleaner. Do not use it for colored fabrics though, because you'll end up with a light spot from where you sprayed. Also, there's a product out in the supermarkets called Carbona. It comes in a little yellow triangular shaped bottle in the laundry section. They have a great de-greaser that you can use on colored clothing, and I've used it on years old oil stains and they came out just fine and didn't mess up my colors.

<edit to add> Carbona also makes other stain removers, for stuff like lipstick, wine, blood, grass stains, etc. All you have to do is choose the stain remover you like :)

Edited by ellencho (log)

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

for those of us who eat at the dashboard diner more than the dining room I have a good one. After passing my toasted bagel with extra butter over my brand new burgundy designer leather purse (85% off) I did a search and tried .....grating blackboard chalk onto the grease spots and let it sit for a day not perfect but acceptable I think I would be the only one to notice it, I hope.

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

For grease/sweat stains on whites I recommend oven cleaner.  Do not use it for colored fabrics though, because you'll end up with a light spot from where you sprayed.  Also, there's a product out in the supermarkets called Carbona.  It comes in a little yellow triangular shaped bottle in the laundry section. They have a great de-greaser that you can use on colored clothing, and I've used it on years old oil stains and they came out just fine and didn't mess up my colors. 

<edit to add> Carbona also makes other stain removers, for stuff like lipstick, wine, blood, grass stains, etc.  All you have to do is choose the stain remover you like :)

My parents had a bottle of that under the sink. However theirs was the origional and contained Carbon Tetrachloride, which was a common cleaning solvent until they declared it a hazard and banned it. :shock:http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts30.html :shock::shock:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321