• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit around the world

You all must have nice big kitchens. I'm stuck with an apartment kitchen and I have to share the space with my boyfriend. Most fruit is too bulky to have a lot of...but I like strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, peaches if they're really good...hmm what else. I love tomatoes (yes they are a fruit). Things with seed(s) surrounded by flesh are fruits and things that have no seeds but rather flowers are vegetables, if I have my facts right. And yes strawberries are still fruit even though their seeds are on the outside :) I think there are two kinds of fruits that don't have seeds, one is the pineapple and the other one escapes me. Soon as I have my school notebook handy I will remember LOL...

anyway this is a little off topic but I got going with the question of if a tomato is a fruit.

pixelchef May 17 2003, 08:29 AM My gosh, you have all that in your home right now VivreManger? Wow.
Sandra Levine May 16 2003, 08:33 PM It would be helpful if you would state your locality for this thread. 

We are in western Mass. where the native asparagus has just arrived, admittedly not a fruit. Local melons, berries, peaches, pears, and apples -- many varieties -- come in later in the summer.

Oh yes, I forgot dried apples, one lime, and some fruit chutneys.

Our kids love dried fruit and it is an excellent alternative to candy and ice cream, as well as fitting nicely into school lunch boxes as well as tiny kitchens -- admittedly not ours -- for those who are space-challenged. The kids also devour fresh fruit so none of this lasts long.

Trader Joe's has the best variety, quality, and price for dried fruit. Middle Eastern markets are good for things like mulberries and other exotic varieties. Since mulberries are almost impossible to find, unless you have your own bush, I keep the dry kind on hand. Cooked quickly in a bit of boiling water they are a wonderful addition to fruit salads.

Rockville MD (DC suburb) It's shopping day so the cupboard is relatively bare:

Bananas

Cameo apples

Lemons

Limes

some out of season blueberries that my daughter begged me for :smile:

Dried, cherries, blueberries, and currants

Frozen blueberries and peaches

I am eagerly awaiting strawberry and peach season.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme