• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Cheap Eats

jersey13

Adonis is excellent for meats and vegetables, indeed. However, I have Lebanese friends who swear by Al-Challal, further West on Cote-Vertu. They agree that Adonis products are very good, but way too expensive.

Also, Adonis' prepared foods (humus, taboulé, baba ghanoush, etc.) are far from the best. There's too much lemon juice in their taboulé, which kills the more delicate flavours of parsley and mint. As for their baba ghanoush, it ranges from ordinary to horrible. It never has that special smoky taste.

If you're in the neighborhood, call in advance and order from Dima (go North on Acadie, then right on Dudemaine). Very good Syrian restaurant, although I don't like to eat there, there's always a pipe or cigar smoker and poor ventilation. (And by the way, their baba ghanoush is called "metabal").

Anyway, it's always interesting to explore the streets around Acadie and Cote-Vertu for good Middle East butchers, bakeries and restaurants.

Check out Isakaya on Parc near Prince- Author.Best Buys for lunch are the bento box and daily specials9 to 16 bucks and It`s always tasty(the hot pot too). The Night menu is also very descently piced. Ilove the barbecued eel in puff pastry and the octopus pancake. The Chef is always roaming around the diningwith a big smile eager to answer questions . never a disappointment!!!!!!

Speaking of Bento boxes, Katsura on Sherbrooke near Victoria in Westmount does nice ones for $5. They also have a couple of great noodle soups served with the deep fried onions on top. I ate alot of those when I was working in that area.

In the western end of the island, WiSushi has a 9.99 deal that has 8 pc sushi with soup and salad. ...love their salad dressing! :rolleyes:

• 7 months later...